Some ideas for a maritime patrol B-57 Canberra

Started by chrisonord, April 02, 2009, 04:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

The B-57 had eight pylons in total, should be enough for starters!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Eight pylons.... oh yes that will do for starters :thumbsup:
I tried to get the Canberra gun pod I have to fit the rear fuselage, behind the bomb bay, but it fouls the air brakes  and has too big a gap to do anything with. It will only fit over the bomb bay doors.....bugger!!!
I found a pair of bigger wing tip tanks, of which I will put a search light in one, I might put a pair of gun pods that came with a F-15E on her, just so she has some substantial guns, and do some mods to the nose to accept the FLIR pod. I think a pair of sidewinders will be on order for her also, as I don't want her getting shot down after all the work I am going to put into her :lol:
Right I had better go and put ideas into reality then.
Cheers,
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on April 04, 2009, 06:43:44 AM
Here's a pic of the seldom seen pylons:

That's a LOT of pylons!

Oddly they are well outboard, not spaced along the span, and none of them are in the same position as the inboard pylons seen on Brit built Cans. The 2nd one out on the B-57 is in approx. the same place as the rarely fitted outboard pylons on Brit Cans.

Certainly looks a mean machine with that load-out.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Cheers Mosie,
Looking at that picture, it looks like I could easily fit another 8 pylons on there :wacko:
Marvellous, I have sorted my weapons load out now, 2 zuni rocket pods, 2 gun pods, 2 ALARM's 2 sidewinders.
I have also found a sonar buoy launcher off a Seaking, that I am sure I can integrate into the rear fuselage, I have also got some sideways looking sensors to fit into the fuselage.
Cheers,
Chris.    

Mossie

I think the B-57 rarely used the pylons & when they did they usually just used the two in board ones for carrying relatively small external tanks.  Bear in mind that if your sticking more pylons on the girl, the RB-57D had wing spar problems due to it's larger wing.  Hanging huge amounts of stuff might create similar problems, but I think the main problem would be the drag & extra weight slowing it down to a crawl, it would need some long runways too.

chrisonord

Hya Mossie,
The kit is the RB-57B/E version, the wings are the "standard" size ones as far as I know
Anyhow, this plane has been plucked from the boneyard at Davis Monthan and rebuilt to spec by JML for the Honduras air force.
This project is another credit crunch special, like the Ouragan and F-84 conversions the Honduras AF have.
Chris.

philp

The Canberras in 'Nam normally fitted just the 2 inner pylons.  They carried either 750 lbers or napalm tanks.

Looking forward to some pictures of your project.  The B-57 is one of my all time favorites since my dad used to work the the EB-57 at both Westover and Malmstrom.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Daryl J.

There were EB-57's at Malmstrom?   When?  Photos?   Mom grew up near Great Falls, thus the interest in that particular location.

Daryl J.

chrisonord

Yeah, I like Canberras too, there is a BAE systems aerodrome near to me has a Canberra as a gate guardian along with a Lightning  and the other BAE aerodrome has or had one for testing as I used to see it a lot flying over with a yellow and black stripped underside. The place it was based is where the TSR2 was built and where they build the Hawk Tornado and Typhoon, and they service Harriers there, I worked on the refit of the final assembly hanger for EFA Typhoon, so got to see a lot of stuff.
Chris.

philp

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 04, 2009, 02:18:28 PM
There were EB-57's at Malmstrom?   When?  Photos?   Mom grew up near Great Falls, thus the interest in that particular location.

Daryl J.

Daryl,
We moved from Westover AFB in Massachusetts to Great Falls in 1973 when the squadron moved.  Not sure if they changed the designation at that time or not.  Used to be the 4677th then became the 17th DSES.  The squadron was the last Active Unit flying the Cranberry and retired the jets in 1979.  The Vermont ANG was the last unit to fly EBs.

I have some pics but they are prints.  Plan on scanning them and a bunch of other pics I took at Big Sky Days over the years (Malmstrom's Open House).  Did find this one on the web for you.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

McColm

Sidewinders,
Does this mean the B-57 can shoot itself down?
:lol: