B-58 Sea Hustler

Started by Eddie M., April 02, 2009, 07:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

It has been started. Y'all have seen the burner cans. Got three more to do. I've added depth to the wheel well to handle the beefier gear.

Look behind you!

GTX

Intriguing...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

cthulhu77

This is, quite possibly, the coolest project ever undertaken.   :cheers:

Zeke

Am I reading this right?...a carrier-borne sea HUSTLER?!!! :o...oh my and possibly even crikey! :blink: :bow:
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

Vulcan7

those wings look very cool Eddie :ph34r: can't wait to see the finished article  :thumbsup: :tornado:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

tigercat2

This sounds really interesting!!  Where will the wings fold, and will it be in a typical gloss grey/white 60s Navy scheme?

Wes W.

bobbo

Supercool!  What's the backstory?

Bobbo

sotoolslinger

WOW REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Logan Hartke

Quote from: bobbo on April 03, 2009, 06:35:26 AM
Supercool!  What's the backstory?

Bobbo

Maybe the USS America wasn't canceled and is continuing to be used in its intended role as nuclear strike carrier equipped with large, long-range, cutting-edge bombers in the 1960s?

Cheers,

Logan

John Howling Mouse

Love those Miller-Tankerized wheel wells!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

Thank y'all for the positive comments Gents. I'll look back on them when I feel like bashing my head in with a brick for thinking of such an idea.. :lol:

QuoteThis sounds really interesting!!  Where will the wings fold, and will it be in a typical gloss grey/white 60s Navy scheme?

It's looking that way right now, but I'm very far from deciding the paint. All I have is the decals I want to use. I guess I can make it look like the wings could fold where the flaps meet the wing tip. With a length of 96' 9" I can only imagine two of these on a Nimitz class deck, taking the place of six A-6s and two or three S-3s in an area I knew of on the Ranger as the "gut" and the "six pack", right next to the island. Plenty of deck left to spot the rest of the airwing.

QuoteSupercool!  What's the backstory?

QuoteMaybe the USS America wasn't canceled and is continuing to be used in its intended role as nuclear strike carrier equipped with large, long-range, cutting-edge bombers in the 1960s?

I hadn't thought of a story till just now with Logan's help. I see it's mission being a sort of Doolittle's Raider kind of story. Since I've never written a back story, this may be a first.... or not. :rolleyes: I know a couple of people around here that do write terrific stories and I may seek help in the near future....;)

Right now, my energies are being spent on landing gear solution and engine placement. I see it all in my mind, it just getting it made that's the hurdle... :party:

Here's the top of the wheel wells.The added depth allows me to use the wheels I have in mind. ;D

Look behind you!

Mossie

Hmmmm, keeping tabs on this one!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Another tact one could take is to do a scale-o-rama and make it about the same size as a Vigilante but as a Convair competitor.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

anthonyp

Quote from: Logan Hartke on April 03, 2009, 07:15:20 AM
Maybe the USS America wasn't canceled and is continuing to be used in its intended role as nuclear strike carrier equipped with large, long-range, cutting-edge bombers in the 1960s?

I think you mean the USS United States, CVA-58.  USS America was the third Kitty Hawk class carrier (CV-66).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Eddie M.

I got a little more rough in work done last night, but none today. We got bad news last night. My wife's parent's house burned to the ground last night in Marble Falls. My F.I.L. was only able to get out wearing pants and a shirt. He built that house and it's the only home my wife and her family knew growing up. Everyone is pretty shaken and I dare say in shock. My wife's going to be with her family for a few days, so I'll be manning the helm solo for a few days. I'll be back soon....
Look behind you!