S

Warcoupe float plane

Started by solidmodeler, April 03, 2009, 07:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solidmodeler

Part of the WWII Lend-Lease program, a ship-full of special turreted Erco Ercoupe float planes was sent to patrol England's vast canal system...

Ed S

Nicely done.  You're definitely showing your talents with woodworking along with WHIFF creativity.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sotoolslinger

Dang that is some beautiful work right there :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Man, it's like chocolate cake: can't get enough of this one!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Brian da Basher

That is truly a wonder to behold! You back it up with a very believable concept and finish with the perfect paintjob!
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

solidmodeler

Thanks all. It's weird, but I can almost believe it flew in the war. Some decals are in the works.

Weaver

Kerrrrist - I wouldn't know where to begin doing something like that: excellent work!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Canals are notoriously narrow: maybe an improved version would have single float in the middle with outrigger wheels under each wingtip to rest on the towpaths? (The float would have to be black with a flower-painted bucket on it, of course....) ;D ;D ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

solidmodeler

Thanks for the tip Weaver :thumbsup: So no worries then about U-boats traveling upstream. Honestly, I wasn't sure if England even had an extensive canal system.   

Weaver

Quote from: solidmodeler on April 07, 2009, 06:03:21 AM
Thanks for the tip Weaver :thumbsup: So no worries then about U-boats traveling upstream. Honestly, I wasn't sure if England even had an extensive canal system.   

Extensively extensive....

Typical British canal boat on typical British canal:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

jcf

The Ercoupe is a tiny aircraft, narrow canals would not be a problem.

I think the kid would be the gunner.  ;D

solidmodeler

Nice photos. Now you can see I added exhaust ports and a big air scoop. There will be a small caliber machine gun in each wing and two 120lb bombs mounted underneath.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: solidmodeler on April 07, 2009, 06:03:21 AM
So no worries then about U-boats traveling upstream. Honestly, I wasn't sure if England even had an extensive canal system.   

Even today it's amazingly extensive, although a lot of it has decayed into disuse, sad to say

I'd love to have seen a U-Boat trying to get through the Devizes Caen Hill flight of locks, where the upper gate of one lock is the lower gate of the next one, all sixteen of them! The bow would be in one lock while the stern would have been 3-4 behind!  :lol: That little Warcoupe would have had a choice of which bit to bomb.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 07, 2009, 09:59:10 AM
The Ercoupe is a tiny aircraft, narrow canals would not be a problem.

I think the kid would be the gunner.  ;D

Oh yes it would have a problem.
The wing tips would knock the beer glasses off the tables, of the people having lunch at the canal side public houses.
Such rude manners!

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

LOL - got me thinking now - folding wings and a Q-ship narrowboat seaplane tender..... it could be the "quaint" equivalent of 007's Bede-in-a-horse-box....... ;D

- Indiana Jones