Wingnut Wings

Started by jcf, April 06, 2009, 10:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on January 05, 2015, 03:12:25 AM
Anyone feeling rich?

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/WNW32801

OR, you can go for just the Felixstowe, for a mere £260 if you want to skimp it:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/WNW32050

Get thee behind me Satan.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 05, 2015, 07:04:35 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 05, 2015, 03:31:09 AM
Wingnut Wings is IIRC owned by Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fame.

It is. WW1 aircraft are a passion of his. ISTR that he's also involved in making 1:1 replicas &/or doing restorations of original aircraft, too.

I'd like to see him do a WWI air battle.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

He's done a short (20 min IIRC) film that was being shown at the Australian War Memorial at Canberra.  About a dawn patrol during WW1.  It is actors with CGI aircraft and is well made as would be expected.
Now he's finished Hobbiting maybe he'll turn his attention to a full length WW1 movie?  Blue Max remake?  The Camels are Coming?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

pyro-manic

Quote from: Mossie on January 06, 2015, 02:38:48 AM
Wingnut Wings is IIRC owned by Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fame.

It is. WW1 aircraft are a passion of his. ISTR that he's also involved in making 1:1 replicas &/or doing restorations of original aircraft, too.

Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9c78qsExU
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

He has fingers in many pies.  If you ever get the chance, visit the War Memorial in Canberra and watch the 15 minute dogfight film he made for the AWM.  It is quite fantastic.  You feel you are in the dog fight, with the wrap around screen they use and the multiple projectors.   Made with a combination of CGI and real life aircraft, some of which were specially built for the project.   :thumbsup:

He's also had several Lancaster replicas made for his Dambusters movie.  Some have engines and can be run up on the ground and can taxi.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 06, 2015, 05:25:57 AM
Quote from: Mossie on January 06, 2015, 02:38:48 AM

Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9c78qsExU

Excellent!

BTW, that Trooper beer is brewed in my home town of Stockport. Robinson's brewery have an excellent tour, shop, bar and restaurant if you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

That Felixstowe will be huge, I have one in 1/72 and that is big  :blink:

As for Hannants price I can confirm that their, and all other UK retailers prices, are about the same as direct from Wingnut plus Customs and postage. So no ripoff by them just good old HMCR. I've bought a kit each way so know from experience.

Strangely NZ is on the HMCR check list and they look at virtually everything from there. HK obviously isn't as I've never been stung on anything from Anigrand...yet  :rolleyes: That was the reason Anigrand was so much cheaper to buy direct from, then from Hannants as the latter paid HMRC. I think prices are now more in line ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

The criminal part is that as the UK is a signatory to and uses the Standardized Tariff agreements,
then plastic model kit-sets are exempt from import duties. Perhaps the other signatories should
start imposing tariffs on Airfix kits, perhaps if Hornby start howling the muppets would wake up.
Yeah, not likely I know.  :banghead:

PR19_Kit

The HMRC make up their own rules when it comes to hobby materials. Perhaps they figure that if we can afford to buy such stuff we can afford to keep them in blatant luxury as well. If you make the ST agreements argument to them they not only still charge you the illegal customs charges but also add on an 'Investigation Charge' as well, cheeky b******s!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 07, 2015, 10:23:04 AM
The criminal part is that as the UK is a signatory to and uses the Standardized Tariff agreements,
then plastic model kit-sets are exempt from import duties. Perhaps the other signatories should
start imposing tariffs on Airfix kits, perhaps if Hornby start howling the muppets would wake up.
Yeah, not likely I know.  :banghead:

It's not import duty, though (unless the declared value is over something like £140). It's VAT.

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 07, 2015, 02:13:05 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 07, 2015, 10:23:04 AM
Yeah, not likely I know.  :banghead:

It's not import duty, though (unless the declared value is over something like £140). It's VAT.

2.5% is Import Duty (over £140), 20% is VAT. VAT is Value Added Tax: roughly the equivalent of US Sales Tax, but national instead of regional.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Plus, no matter how much the value, the Post Office charge you £13.00 or so for 'handling the paperwork with the UK Border Agency'. Of course you don't have an option of handling it yourself as the GPO are the ONLY people authorised to do this. And you can't even complain about it because the UKBA not only don't accept phone calls, they don't even have a postal address either!

A greater example of 'Rip Off Britain' would be hard to imagine, and by our own Government's Departments too!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

You really are getting shafted up there aren't you?
Our lot keep muttering dark things about making us pay GST (Goods and Service Tax) on all goods coming into the country that we buy on line (currently you only have to do so if they cost more than $1000) but apparently at the current rate of tax it'd cost more to administer than it would raise.  But you can bet jug ears has had his bureaucrats talking to yours about how to extract maximum blood from the stone.
Fred

pyro-manic

The UK Border Force (or whatever the hell they're called now - they keep getting wound up and re-opened as something slightly different) are a law unto themselves. They are way out of control, and the government is utterly disinterested in sorting it out. I have no problem paying VAT (though it would be nice if it was dropped back to pre-Coalition levels :banghead: ), but I completely resent being ripped off and/or screwed over by agencies that don't know the law, make up their own rules as they go along, and are effectively untouchable (any court case to force the issue would be too expensive for a private individual to bring).

NARSES2

Yup as Pyro says it's mainly VAT which ups the cost.

As for HMRC. They are the one agency you do not want to mess with. They have far more legal authority then the police and I'm not sure anyone knows how far that authority extends ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.