Main Menu

Never Retired

Started by Taiidantomcat, April 07, 2009, 10:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyhanger

That was based on an original story in the TV 21 comic (I think) published in 1967. That was on e of the comics I used to get and I remember a story where the Mysterons did something to stop up to date technology being used, so out came the aiorcraft from a museum. I also remember that the dat eon the comic front was always advance by 100 years, just for that extra touch of reality!
If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

Spey_Phantom

another idea that just came up, a Douglas DB7/A20 Havoc/Boston with Turboprop engines, 4 bladed props, radar in the nose, laser guided bombs.

or, Nuclear weapon carrying Lancasters in anti-flash white, or Vulcan Camoflage  :o
i have a lot of world war 2 planes in the stash, perhaps i could upgrade a few to modern day standards  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

Ooh! Where did you find that?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Joe C-P

Going back to the WW1 early dreadnoughts and pre-dreadnoughts, perhaps without a Washington Treaty the USN and RN might have sent some of the older big ships to their colonies and remote stations. I've thought about doing a USN pre-dreadnought or early dreadnought, modernized in the 1930s, as a Philippine Navy ship. Perhaps the RN might have based older dreadnoughts in India, Singapore, and Hong Kong, and the French in Indochina.

The USN also considered using some of the late model pre-dreadnoughts as armed troop carriers, supplying their own shore bombardment.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

pyro-manic

The only problem there is fuel - you'd have to keep the coaling stations, fleet colliers, etc around to supply the old ships, which gets expensive. If the ships can be converted to oil-firing cheaply enough it's a good idea. The Iron Duke class or the Lions and HMS Tiger would be good for global presence - base a couple at Ceylon/Singapore/Trincomalee to counter the Siamese, and maybe a few in the Med and/or the Falklands to keep an eye on the South Americans and their battleships.

Taiidantomcat

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Logan Hartke

Now THAT is an awesome pic.  Have that in a higher res?

Cheers,

Logan

Sauragnmon

That is a pretty wicked picture, seriously.  Absolutely cool stuff.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Taiidantomcat

Found here in about the bottom quarter of the page:

http://xplanes.tumblr.com/tagged/fantasy/page/2

Also Thanks Philp  :thumbsup:

Spey_Phantom

i just came up with a new upgraded F-4E Idea  ;D

features:
-glass cockpit, F-15SG style
-AMRAAM capability (from the F-4F ICE upgrade)
-Conformal Feul tanks (from the F-4X)
-enlarged wing from the F-4S/N
-Python-4 AAM's
-JDAM capability
-single piece windscreen
-wide angled HUD
-Helmet mouted sight
-more powerfull and feul efficient GE F-414 engines to replace the J79.
-AESA radar

i got the idea from an old air forces monthly magazine article called "aging aircraft can fly forever". its an article about how israel keeps its old F-15A's, F-16A, F-4 and A-4 planes in service and up to date.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

pyro-manic

Forget AMRAAMs, jump straight to Meteors. ;D

Taiidantomcat

I like that idea Nils  :thumbsup: