Main Menu

Never Retired

Started by Taiidantomcat, April 07, 2009, 10:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulcrum

I got an idea: 1.Take a 4-piper(funnel) destroyer(or a V&W destroyer) from WW1.
                   2. Take off all old guns & torpedo tubes
                   3. Add a 76mm gun(in A position), a reasonable about of Exocet Anti-ship Missiles(4-8 launchers) & 2(or 3 in X position) 20mm CIWS on the raised deck between the 2nd & 3rd funnels.

And then you have a WW1-vintage destroyer with Cold War/Falklands/Modern weapons.

(I got the idea as I was thinking of using a ship from the WW2 destroyer(4 small destroyer kits) kit & the weapons salvaged from the British Falklands destroyer(another 4 ships) kit. They are produced by the same model manufactuer(but sadly, I don't remember :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

NARSES2

Quote from: Fulcrum on April 19, 2010, 11:37:15 PM

(I got the idea as I was thinking of using a ship from the WW2 destroyer(4 small destroyer kits) kit & the weapons salvaged from the British Falklands destroyer(another 4 ships) kit. They are produced by the same model manufactuer(but sadly, I don't remember :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:).

The box sets were Airfix and the WWII set is still available
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

You can pick up the Falklands set easliy enough on ebay too. The only problem is that it won't provide a 76mm gun or any 20mm CIWS: those came later, because of the Falklands. However, you could always give an old four-funneller a 4.5" Mk.8, some Exocets and a couple of Sea Cats on the raised deck. You could even give it a Wasp on a pad aft!

Rather reminds me of a side comment by D.K. Brown in Rebuilding the Royal Navy: apparently, at the time of the '73 oil crisis, the Royal Navy conducted a serious study into going back to coal  :blink:. The conclusion was that it was better to process the coal into a liquid fuel ashore, but that didn't stop a cartoon going up in the RCNC Ship Dept. office showing a Type-42 destroyer with four narrow funnels and a ram bow.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on April 20, 2010, 01:44:58 AM
Rather reminds me of a side comment by D.K. Brown in Rebuilding the Royal Navy: apparently, at the time of the '73 oil crisis, the Royal Navy conducted a serious study into going back to coal  :blink:. The conclusion was that it was better to process the coal into a liquid fuel ashore, but that didn't stop a cartoon going up in the RCNC Ship Dept. office showing a Type-42 destroyer with four narrow funnels and a ram bow.... ;D

Interesting. Wonder if with the improvements in powdered coal injection technology since then that could be a way forward ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Turboprop powered, 6 or 8-bladed propped Lancasters, with the bombay filled with Jdams and SDB's  :rolleyes:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

retro_seventies

I've got a few on here (in the last few pages) - Gloster Meteor and Gladiator, EECanberra, DH Vampire, F-8 Crusader and Buccaneer...and a SeaKing too, kinda sorta  :)

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,7985.105.html
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Daryl J.

A fuel injected Fokker D.VII with carbon fibre interplane struts and fuselage stringers and a glass cockpit fits into my alternative universe.  Especially if it is on floats!      :drink: :drink: :drink:

Can we say Wingnuts Impatience?     :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Logan Hartke

I was thinking of a Never Retired maritime patrol B-36 the other day.  Maybe six AE2100s with scimitar blade props?  Splice a P-3's nose on the front (the B-36 was about 12.5 feet in diamater and the P-3 is a little over 11.3 ft) and paint it in Coast Guard or Navy markings.  With aerial refueling, the thing could quite literally stay up forever.  Without aerial refueling it could already stay up for over 51 hours.  Have at least 3 crews on board and you could carry a few lifeboats in the forward bay and torpedoes and mines in the rear.

Cheers,

Logan

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Logan Hartke on May 12, 2010, 03:01:26 PM
I was thinking of a Never Retired maritime patrol B-36 the other day.  Maybe six AE2100s with scimitar blade props?  Splice a P-3's nose on the front (the B-36 was about 12.5 feet in diamater and the P-3 is a little over 11.3 ft) and paint it in Coast Guard or Navy markings.  With aerial refueling, the thing could quite literally stay up forever.  Without aerial refueling it could already stay up for over 51 hours.  Have at least 3 crews on board and you could carry a few lifeboats in the forward bay and torpedoes and mines in the rear.

Cheers,

Logan

That is a brilliant idea! Scimitar props too :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Spey_Phantom

ok, a crazy idea just came up, Iran indigenously modifies the F-14 tomcat with modern Russian weapons (AA-12, R-77,...) and AL-31 Thrust vectoring engine, Zhuk-AE radar, Glass Cockpit, 1-piece canopy....

or

English Electric Lightning, fitted with 2 Eurojet EJ200 engines, armed with AMRAAM and ASRAAM AAM's. glass cockpit, modern AESA radar, Frensh Thales CARAPACE ECM suite,....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

Spitfires in space!

:cheers:

Pay close attention to the kill markings and pin up girl...

;D
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

lancer

LOVE that B29's nose TTomcat!! Superb. So, are those standard Imp satr 2 Kills or Victory calss SD's? The Princess artwork was also a classic...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Fulcrum

Awesome Rebel Alliance B-29 noseart!!!

I got a idea, with the mass-produced Mig-21, you can add the solar panels & call them "Fish-ties"....

I'll get my coat...
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

dragon

Quote from: Fulcrum on April 19, 2010, 11:37:15 PM
I got an idea: 1.Take a 4-piper(funnel) destroyer(or a V&W destroyer) from WW1.
                   2. Take off all old guns & torpedo tubes
                   3. Add a 76mm gun(in A position), a reasonable about of Exocet Anti-ship Missiles(4-8 launchers) & 2(or 3 in X position) 20mm CIWS on the raised deck between the 2nd & 3rd funnels.

And then you have a WW1-vintage destroyer with Cold War/Falklands/Modern weapons.

I have been on board the USS KIDD in Baton Rouge Louisiana, all I can say is that the "tin can" sailors have all my respect.  It felt as if the ship had as much armament as my car.  Knowing that and still going to war takes a lot of bravery.  I cannot imagine what a ship like that would be like with modern weaponry, but it sounds likely from a third world country. :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

proditor

I'm pretty sure I could enter about 20 ships if the "Not already under construction" caveat were waived.   ;D