Kamov Ka-58 Hagfish

Started by Mossie, April 09, 2009, 04:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Thanks Baz!  I orginally hit most of the parts with grey primer since black is a difficult colour to cover.  I thought I might go with some kind of metallic finish (changed my mind several times since!) & that a black base might good for a deep lustre, so I removed it & what you see in the panel lines is the remains of the primer.  It's definately a candidate for a wash to bring out those details, I've had trouble with this in the past so I might try using oil paints.  Since the last post I have done just what you mentioned with the sanding, although more to see if I can prepare it for a metallic finish.  I probably won't go all-black as I'm looking for something a little different from all those on the net.

This ones on a slight back burner as I'm concentrating on getting some done for the Egg Plane GB at the moment.  I promise that I'll get back to this once that GB is over.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

If I was going to copy that Venuzualan scheme, I'd use Humbrol 66 for the middle tone then add a little black for the darkest and little (olive) green for the lighter one. Essentially three tones of the same colour.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Thanks Ian! :thumbsup:  I'm still unsure as exactly what scheme to go for.  Regarding jungle schemes, I've got a pic in a book of a Dominican Huey, it's a black-green offset with a quite garish shade of mint green.  Russian aircraft seem to wear quite vivid schemes compared to their Western counterparts although seems to be a slight tone down in the modern era so I'm not sure if this will suit it or not.

Keep suggestions for colour schemes coming!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Whats happening with this thing Mossie :unsure:
I have been looking forward to seeing this one finished, I am quite fond of this kit.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Don't worry, it's not forgotten about!  I've been focusing on the Egg Plane GB, I've got another kit on the go for that.  I'm not going to make this GB deadline, but it will be the next kit I'll be working on after my second Egg Plane project & i'll finish it seperately.

Mossie

I'm ressurecting this one so I can I ask a mod to pop it in the Aircraft section of the Current & Finished Projects forum?  Ta!

Finally got the major parts together.  The fit of the turret fairing & tail were a not fantastic, but a liberal dose of filler sorted them out.

The canopy was another matter.  It has four seperate parts, the windscreen, two side access window that can posed open & a cross bar for them to fit into.  Nothing was quite perfect, you fitted one into place correctly & it knocked another out, it was very fiddly to get them all right.  I sanded a little bit & managed to get it together, but there are gaps & steps in various places.  I filled using Vallejo's Plastic Putty as you can wipe it off with a wet cloth or finger, saved sanding near delicate plastic parts which I'm a begger for messing up.  Not the greatest job on it & I could have spent more time, but it'll do.

Primer on, it seems to have obscured some of the more delicate detail, probably because I kept sanding to remove that orange peel finish to the plastic.  I'll give it a bit of rub down with some very fine wet & dry to see if I can reover some of it, although it'll probably only dissappear again under paint layers.

I think it'll be in the colours of one of the the profiles I did.  I only really decided yesterday & I'm still not 100% as I've got to get the decals, so I'll keep schtum for now.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24996.0/highlight,kamov+ka-58+hagfish.html

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

thedarkmaster

well then mate you know the one I think it should be  ;D  ;D  ;D, if not that go with the Democratic Barbie Air Force  ;D  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Strangely enough, Barbie decals are hard to come by! ;D

Had a quick look at it this morning before setting off to work.  There are one or two areas that need a wee bit more PSR, the right tail being one of the main ones.  I did a test with some 1000 grit sandpaper on the nose area & the detail that had been partially obscured returned.  I find with Halfords primer that the surface can appear slightly rough once it's dried, but a quick rub even with a soft cloth brings up the surface beautifully.

thedarkmaster

If you e-mail me the design i can make you some mate.......anything to help the " Barbie " build along  ;D  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Oops, somehow lost the original [accidentally leans on the delete button...], don't know what happened to it....

Mossie

Got onto the PSR(R) in between decorating.  As shown, tail & turret needed a fair bit of work along with a few minor spots on the fuselage.  I was hoping to try out my airbrush on it now I've got a regulator, but I didn't have the Humbrol tinlet I needed.  Trip out to a model ship tomorrow in my dinner hour methinks.

Repeat request for a mod to move it to the Aircraft section of the Current & Finished Projects forum, pretty please? :)