Fw-190 and Ta-152 WHIF Ideas

Started by Joe C-P, July 15, 2002, 10:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

hi folks,

I am just about finished reading "Stuka Pilot" by Han Ulrich Rudel.  In it he made/makes a comment about when converting from Ju-87s to Fw-190s, many pilots felt uncomfortable not having a tail gunner to offer some protection.  Immediately, my whiffing mind stepped in and started to consider a two seat Fw-190 (probably based upon the F-8 model) with a tail gunner facing to the rear.  I'm thinking a fuselage stretch might be called for and I'm not sure how to do the cockpit/canopy or gun arrangement.  Options so far include:

For cockpit/canopy:

• Maybe a converted S-8, though this isn't my prefered solution (see pic below);
  • Maybe an arrangement similar to the Sea Fury trainers;
  • Maybe a single large bubble: or
  • Something else entirely - suggestions welcome!

For gun - either a manual arrangement or maybe manned turret or maybe a remote turret (either like the Me-410/210 or Ju-187).

BTW, I'm also thinking of it being a dedicated Anti-tank bird with a couple of MK 103 30mm cannon like the Fw-190F-8/R3:

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Having given this idea more thought, I'm tending towards a stretched canopy based around 2 F-8 canopies joined together and using a Me-210/410 rear gun arrangement.

Regards,

Greg

r16

ı would say the mk 103 should go in the wingroot place of the 20mm guns and any necessary bulk should go on the upper wing to clear the landing gear ; historically the tested underwing position was not usable.

GTX

Here's another idea that came to me last night - some twin engined Fw-190s/Ta-152s:

Take a standard aircraft and remove the engine (replacing it with radar/guns or whatever) and then put an engine on each wing to create a Zerstörer - much like the twin engined P-40 or kitbasher's recent Supermarine Spartan (see http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17698.0).

I figure a Fw-190A series could look a bit like a XF5F-1 or related:

Whereas a Fw-190D series or Ta-152 derived one would be much sleeker - almost whirlwind style.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Here you go - a further, iteration in this two seat dedicated Ju-87 replacement:

A bit crude, but it should help to illustrate the idea.

Regards,

Greg

r16

well , just a coincidence but I have this Me-410 canopied " sort of a 190 " thing

[attachment deleted by admin]

Daryl J.

North American takes over Focke-Wulf operations as a war reparation and uses the D-9 as it's base for the F-82 instead of the Mustang.

The radiator of the Ta-152H transfers to either the under belly or the leading edges of the wing allowing a bullet shaped nose profile and gets used for a high altitude reconaissance aircraft by the French until 1956 and the Spaniards until 1960.   The US Navy uses a version with folding wings and a hook in Korea.

Leica sponsors a Ta-152C in the Race d'Euro Aire.

:cheers:,
Daryl J.

GTX

Something different - though not as attractive as the original I believe:

Regards,

Greg

ysi_maniac

Quite attractive, indeed. But, the radiator? :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

Quote from: ysi_maniac on July 09, 2008, 06:06:57 AM
Quite attractive, indeed. But, the radiator? :wub:

Always with the radiator! ;D  I was hoping no-one would notice, but here you go:

Regards,

Greg

tanktastic43

That is one good looking airplane.  :wub:

sotoolslinger

Well you know I have several left over Stang noses, but the D-9 is too pretty already to do that to.I was thinking more along the lines of a D-9 with swept wings or a jet. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

GTX

Quote from: sotoolslinger on July 09, 2008, 12:02:07 PM
Well you know I have several left over Stang noses, but the D-9 is too pretty already to do that to.I was thinking more along the lines of a D-9 with swept wings or a jet. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

It was actually a 152 derivative, but still.  BTW, I did a jet conversion of one here.

Regards,

Greg

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland