Main Menu

Tank Hunters

Started by Weaver, April 13, 2009, 10:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

One for the treadheads, and a blindingly simple idea: what if, in WWII, Britain and America had adopted the turretless, Jagdpanzer-style tank-destroyer, in the way that Germany and Russia did?

Your mission (should you decide to accept it  :wacko:) is to develop an Allied, turretless tank-destroyer, based on a British or American tank chassis. It should have a rear engine, a front-mounted, limited-traverse anti-tank gun, a crew of at least four with enough room to work the gun, heavy armour over thr frontal arc and overhead armour. The gun should have a superior performance to generally available tank guns in the timeframe the tank-destroyer is deployed, i.e. if it's an early-war weapon based on, say, a Matilda or Crusader, then a 57mm/6-pounder will do. If it's in the post-Sherman era, then it will need a 76mm/17-pounder/90mm etc....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Logan Hartke

Why not expand the definition a bit and allow for Marder-style M5A1s or M24s with open-topped, rear-mounted superstructure and high-velocity 76mm or 17pdr gun, for example?

Maybe even allow for a German take on US TDs.  A PzKpfw IV with enlarged, open-topped turret and 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70?  Use a modified Ostwind with a cut-down turret (just cut out the middle third and splice back together) with a counterweight on the back and give it a Panther's gun and you really have a German M10.

Why not a German M18?  Get a PzKpfw III, give it overlapping suspension or modified 38(t) or 38(d) suspension and an open-topped turret with 7.5cm KwK 40 or KwK 42?  Take a Sd.Kfz.165/1 and give it a KwK 40.

Cheers,

Logan

puddingwrestler

Could we expand it to include any nation which did not use fixed gun tank destroyers? I really fancy the idea of a teeny-tiny italian tankette fitted with a bigger gun (so not very big then :lol:) as a light tank destroyer for use against obsolete french FT-17s!

Also, could wheeled designs be entered? I'm thinking of the 'Hetzer' from Battletech - it looks like the Hetzer in real life, with a wheel at each corner. You could do something interesting with a rapid, field conversion of a bedford lorry or some such!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Quote from: Logan Hartke on April 13, 2009, 10:35:02 AM
Why not expand the definition a bit and allow for Marder-style M5A1s or M24s with open-topped, rear-mounted superstructure and high-velocity 76mm or 17pdr gun, for example?

Well I was trying to avoid such things because they were actually done in some cases, the Archer, for example, so they're not so uniquely German/Russian.

Maybe even allow for a German take on US TDs.  A PzKpfw IV with enlarged, open-topped turret and 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70?  Use a modified Ostwind with a cut-down turret (just cut out the middle third and splice back together) with a counterweight on the back and give it a Panther's gun and you really have a German M10.

Why not a German M18?  Get a PzKpfw III, give it overlapping suspension or modified 38(t) or 38(d) suspension and an open-topped turret with 7.5cm KwK 40 or KwK 42?  Take a Sd.Kfz.165/1 and give it a KwK 40.

Now that's interesting -  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Logan
[/quote]
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 13, 2009, 02:45:17 PM
Could we expand it to include any nation which did not use fixed gun tank destroyers? I really fancy the idea of a teeny-tiny italian tankette fitted with a bigger gun (so not very big then :lol:) as a light tank destroyer for use against obsolete french FT-17s!

Yep - I only excuded French designs because most of their's were improvised upon by the Germans, but come to thing of it, you could do pre-1940 ones. The Italians did some real JPz-style things (more assault guns, really) but plenty of scope for improvement as with all Italian armour.

I like the tankette idea: I was pondering a pre-war Brit 2-pounder carrier based on Bren-carrier components... ;D

Also, could wheeled designs be entered? I'm thinking of the 'Hetzer' from Battletech - it looks like the Hetzer in real life, with a wheel at each corner. You could do something interesting with a rapid, field conversion of a bedford lorry or some such!

Yes, I think so: The Sdkfz-234 with a Pak-40 in an open-topped mount springs to mind: how about an M-20 (open-topped M8 Greyhound) with a 6-pounder?

- Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

I'm pretty sure there was a British lorry-mounted anti-tank gun used in north Africa...?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 14, 2009, 09:13:04 AM
I'm pretty sure there was a British lorry-mounted anti-tank gun used in north Africa...?

"Portee" based on a Bedford QL? Used for 6-pdr AT guns and 25-pdr field guns IIRC.

- Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

That sounds about right, yeah.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

philp

Don't forget the Deacon.

I already plan to do a JagdSherman based on a M4A3 armed with a 90mm.  Just trying to come up with a good, US mantlet for it.
I had seen a sideview design that I liked but obviously, didn't save it :banghead:
If anyone comes across one, let me know.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

I'll give the game away: my original inspiration came from looking idly at an M7 Priest kit and a 17-pounder AT-gun kit that happened to be stacked together in Modelzone. You could probably nick the roof panel and MG turret from an M3 Lee..... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

How about extending the timeframe?  :wacko:  Greg did an awesome profile for a Jagdleopard:

IMHO, one of the best tank whifs EVER!  :thumbsup: :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

jcf

The Poles experimented with tankette based tank destroyers.
TKD, TKS-D & PZInz.160:
http://derela.republika.pl/tkd.htm

Comparative size drawing:

nev

Yeah, I wouldn't limit it to just WW2.  I mean, how are we going to get the Sci-Fi ones in? ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Quote from: nev on April 22, 2009, 09:25:18 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't limit it to just WW2.  I mean, how are we going to get the Sci-Fi ones in? ;)

Okay, it could be extended beyond (and before) WWII, but I'd say the minimum requirement is a GUN in a frontal, limited-traverse mounting. Any more flexible and it becomes meaningless.

- Indiana Jones

philp

Oh boy, Power Gun armed Tank Destroyer on a hover platform.  Hey, didn't they have something like this in the Hammer's Slammers universe?  Pretty sure some of the other Mercenary units had this to try and counter Hammer's panzers.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies