Main Menu

Tank Hunters

Started by Weaver, April 13, 2009, 10:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Oh well, there goes another cherished childhood factoid. I'd always been told that "Adder" was a uniquely British term for our species of Viper, but on looking it up, I find that the term is used all over the world too.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

beowulf

Quote from: rickshaw on December 23, 2010, 04:18:03 AM
Perhaps paint it black?   ;D ;D ;D

thats a rather cunning plan

ba-boom tish      ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

rickshaw

Quote from: beowulf on December 23, 2010, 05:19:37 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 23, 2010, 04:18:03 AM
Perhaps paint it black?   ;D ;D ;D

thats a rather cunning plan

ba-boom tish  ;D

I can see you going far, my boy.  The further the better for all concerned.   :lol: :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on December 23, 2010, 04:43:30 AM
Oh well, there goes another cherished childhood factoid. I'd always been told that "Adder" was a uniquely British term for our species of Viper, but on looking it up, I find that the term is used all over the world too.... :rolleyes:

You're right, but I think the Adder at least startted as a British affectation, given to many snakes with Adder/Viper similarities.  As far as I'm aware, us Brits are the only ones to refer to the European Viper as an Adder.

As a complete aside, I stopped the missus trodding on one in Dalby Forest (near Pickering) a little while back.  It was basking & doing it's usual thing, looking like a stick.  A few more steps & she'd have been bitten, okay you're not going die from an Adder bite but it going to put a dampner on your day.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Mossie on December 24, 2010, 11:49:20 AM<...> As far as I'm aware, us Brits are the only ones to refer to the European Viper as an Adder. <...>

It's German name is Kreuzotter, which would translate to "crossed adder".
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

jcf

origin Old English nædre 'serpent, adder', of Germanic origin; related to Dutch adder and German Natter.
The initial n was lost in Middle English by wrong division of a naddre into an addre;
compare with a napron ( an apron), a nauger (an auger), and a noumpere (an umpire).

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder