1/48 scale USN Su-27UB: A FAR Conversion

Started by FAR148, April 18, 2009, 06:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAR148

Well with my IAF A-10I done and two polls on what my next project was going to be, the USN Su-27UB was the clear winner. So today I started on my next FAR conversion.

On my IAF A-10I, I really don't do much to the cockpit just a resin seat. I want to do a custom or some type of updated cockpit for my USN Flanker. I thought about scratchbuilding it, take a try at making my own PE, but the cheapest way(cause I'm cheap) and because I get three of them in my stash, is to use Revell F-15E cockpit. It's a modern cockpit and it has some great detail. And since all the USN Flankers are license built by Boeing.....  :rolleyes:

Amazingly, you can fit a Revell F-15E cockpit into an Academy Su-27UB fuselage. First, I cut off that plate on the bottom of the front seat and back behind the second seat as well.

Then I had to cut the cockpit tub into two. And I had to remove the center part of the cockpit opening.

To get the rear tub to fit, I had to file the front of the tub so that it would fit tight.

Also had to remove a part of the nose gear tub so that the rear tub would fit.

After removing a part of the nose gear tub so that the rear tub to fit, I went to fit the front tub in place and ..... It hits the nose gear tub too!  :angry:  So with my razor saw I removed the floor of the front tub and it will be replaced with sheet styrene.

The front instrument panel fit like a glove as if was made for the kit.

On the rear, I had to trim a little bit off.

All mocked up! Nice

Add some Avionix resin NACES F-14D seats, not a bad start.

Much more to come,
Steven L  :ph34r:

ChernayaAkula

Awesome! :bow: Fantastic work adapting the Mudhen cockpit to the Flanker. Absolutely flawless. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

BlackOps

Steven, looks like a great start! Looking forward to seeing more.  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

noxioux

Excellent.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of this come together.  Thanks for all the extra details of the build! :thumbsup:

gunfighter

What is really AMAZING is how clean you have the workbench!!!

cthulhu77

No kidding ! My wife would kiss more often if my table was that pristine!  Nice work, very interesting build ! :cheers:

Damian2

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy we're in for a treat!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Cobra

Woah!!!!!!!!! Does this Cool or What???????? Why can't i get the 'Top Gun Anthem' out of My head seeing Your Flanker?????? Can't Wait to see More!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :tornado:

Ed S

Good job on the office.  Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

John Howling Mouse

I love this already.  Thanks for the build pics---always a great way to learn and to ensure nothing is taken for granted.  Sometimes, us Whiffers slave away in solitude with internal mods just to get things to fit and no one else ever knows what it took to get there.

This is cool.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on April 19, 2009, 05:40:34 PM
I love this already.  Thanks for the build pics---always a great way to learn and to ensure nothing is taken for granted.  Sometimes, us Whiffers slave away in solitude with internal mods just to get things to fit and no one else ever knows what it took to get there.

This is cool.   :thumbsup:

Amen to that brother Mouse!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Sauragnmon

She's looking good so far - love the way you fitted the tub from a 15E and 14 bang seats into the pit on the 27UB - she's certainly interesting.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Zeke

Clever work...so, what's the markings going to be huh?...huh?...c'mon, you can tell us, we won't blab, honest! Is it going to be the Jolly Rgers one like the profile...ooooohhhhh
TELL MEEEEEEE!

:rolleyes:
;D
It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Already got this marked-down to watch every update..... no pressure then ? :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)