Revell 1:48 Fuji International PMC F-14EJ Kai

Started by sv51macross, April 27, 2009, 10:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sv51macross

well, with that 50% Micharls Coupon in my inbox, a $9 Revellogram F-14D sounded great for my first rescribe project. The aircraft comes from a Japanese-style 'light-novel' I'm trying to write, the bird being the sled of my protagonist, Major Maya 'Princess' Kudou.

*Fuji International/ MHI F-14EJ/Kai 'Hyper-Tomcat'
-Developed in 2010 as a naval-borne fighter to equip the JMSDF aboard the newly christened Neo Akagi, the F-14EJ was the AST-21 level F-14 Tomcat, with new-build airframes made from titanium and carbon-composite/nanotube materials to give a much greater performance envelope. The wings were given fowler flaps, the leading edge slats extended. The tails were canted out/down to form a X-tail of sorts, and license-made Saturn AL-31J OVT engines were installed giving greater than 1:1 with full fuel and A2A weapons. Backseater cockpit replaced with 1200 round ammunition drum for the 30mm version of the previous M-61 and fire control/avionics completely replaced with the then-latest AESA radar and fully integrated/programmable flight control, including HOTAS sidestick/revised throttle, 5-MFD glass cockpit and 1st generation cybernetic interface (later retrofitted with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generational interfaces). An Eurofighter-style IRST was added to the nose  Weapons integration consisted of all the weaponry in the JSDF airborne weapon inventory including the AAM-3/4/5 as well as all GCS, GPS, and dummy guided A2G ordnance.
-The 'Kai' variant is the type currently employed as half the force of Fuji International PMC. The main difference if the new Phoenix Mach-1 engines as well as a swollen dorsal spine containing an additional 20% internal volume fuel. The main difference sensor-wise was the incorporation of high-speed cameras on the underside of the fuselage (where the TCS pod mounted on American F-14s) to provide 270-270 view for the pilot, a final rearward facing camera adding the final 90 degrees to both axises.

Cockpit: (Note, since this photo was taken, the side consoles were painted black and detail re-rushed white, and the cement 'boots' around the controls painted tan)

Side view of the forward fuse, you can see cockpit installed, hole for the ladder cut, and the faired-over RIO seat.

And a topside view of the enlarged wing gloves and leading-edge flaps.

Loadout will be the two HARMs you see there as well as the eight unpainted AAM-4's to the right of the F-14. The rest of the ordinance was me bored one afternoon and building the rest of a Kinetic F-16 weps set. I have yet to scratch AAM-5s for the missile rails (sealed-round missiles = no need for LAU-138s!)

Shasper

Looks similar to the Super Tomcat 21 proposed by Grumman handed to NAVAIR for what resulted in the SBug coming into service.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

sv51macross

Quote from: Shasper on April 27, 2009, 12:46:52 PM
Looks similar to the Super Tomcat 21 proposed by Grumman handed to NAVAIR for what resulted in the SBug coming into service.

Shas 8)

Exactly.  :thumbsup:

Mike Wren

go on, you know you want to put all those weapons under it...  ;D

cthulhu77

nev

You could just get some IRIS-Ts for the AAM-5s, the Revell Eurofighter is once source.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

sv51macross

Quote from: nev on April 28, 2009, 08:12:44 AM
You could just get some IRIS-Ts for the AAM-5s, the Revell Eurofighter is once source.

Well, I was thinking about dispensing with the AAM-4s and bashing eight of these:

Though the IRIS-T idea is good as well, but the wings are narrower and further up the fuselage, and the fins are further back as well. I'm just going to take a pair of AIM-9X's and scratch the wings/mod the fins for it.

pyro-manic

Interesting! The wings give it a rather Valkyrie-esque look, but then given your username I'm sure you know that.. ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Talos

Looking good! I like the pattern you used for the extended leading edges and gloves. I may borrow the former for some of my drawings!  ;D

That actually reminds me of a VF-0/F-14 kitbash drawing series I've done, F-14E, F-14F, and EF-14G Tomcat II. I put a pair of HARMs on my EF-14G too.

Good to see more Macross fans here, be sure to check out Damien and mine's threads if you haven't before. We have a lot of Macross VFs in them.

sv51macross

Talos, cool profiles. Definitely gave me an idea for a EF-14G. Imagine, an integrated ALQ-99 suite like the Sparkvark, four each AIM-120 and AGM-88, two Hornet 310gal fuel tanks, and an extra engine (centerline-mounted, podded and braced)

Back to the Japanese 'Hyper Kitty'. I've gotten the wing gloves done and the extended elevons.

Just realized that the AAAM won't work, as I won't be able to centerline mount it (I assume that even though there's an IR missile under there, the radome is flush with the body (as big around as a AMRAAM), and the booster is only bigger, so no semi-recessed mounting.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

(With the voice of Ralph Wiggum from the Simpsons) That picture of it with the wings retracted makes me all feel tingly inside...   :thumbsup:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Taiidantomcat

I think you found the most elegant solution to make room for canards on a Tomcat i have ever seen  :thumbsup: :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sv51macross

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on April 29, 2009, 03:35:30 PM
I think you found the most elegant solution to make room for canards on a Tomcat i have ever seen  :thumbsup: :bow:

Sorry, not enough room for canards that would be big enough to do anything (at least without severely interfering with the wingss aerodynamics while swept forward). I tried, but nothing doing.

sv51macross

Update, I modded the tails, they're drying at a 45* angle.

And here's the loadout, 2x each of AGM-88, AGM-65, and AAM-5, as well as 8x AAM-4. The AAM-5s are scratchbuilt from Kinetic AIM-9X's with styrene wings.

The F-14EJ Kais of Fuji International PMC's Shinigami squadron often were tasked with flying top-cover for Fuji PMC strike packages and operating in the SEAD/DEAD role against Chinese SA-29 and SA-31 SAMs. The license-build rights were purchased under the table from Hughes and Texas Instruments, though payment was in easily-liquidated consumer goods rather than currency to help obscure a paper trail (with the disappearance of a container ship being reported as hurricane-loss).
The AAM-4s manufactured by Mitsubishi underwent several upgrade programs to improve range and ECCM, often employed against AWACS and the ECR EJ-10A in the ARM role, as well as standard medium-range engagement AAMs.
The AAM-5 was largely unchanged aside from a newer rocket motor and revision of the electronics to allow LOAL. A new feature was the installation of a IFF reader and a restartable rocket motor. If the lock of the original target was broken somehow, the rocket motor was shut-off and the missile moved to acquire the nearest enemy IFF signal before restarting the motor and homing on the target.

I have yet to figure out how to mount the other four AAM-4s (the top four are semi-recessed in the Sparrow channels). I was thinking a cross between the setups the Hornet and Strike Eagle employ, a stub pylon with attachment rings for a rail-less drop-launch.