B

Introducing: Whiffpedia!

Started by B777LR, May 01, 2009, 04:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Comrades!

Yes, thats right, a what-if wikipedia! Just waiting for your contributions! Add your what-if nations, alternative airforces, aircraft, etc.

But don't forget to post it here as well :thumbsup: (afterall, it is only meant to help this forum, not replace it :thumbsup:)

http://whatifmodelers.wikia.com/wiki/Whiffpedia_Wiki

Congratulations for Puddingwrestler for being the first member to take to the wiki! And thanks to Brian for giving initial feedback :thumbsup:

:tornado:

lenny100

great idea will upload my new nation with all its aircraft as i build them
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

dy031101

Another incentive to fix my laptop-can't-install-Photoshop problem ASAP......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

puddingwrestler

A few breif notes on how to use it:
1: You apparently do not even need to sign in to add content, however if you do sign in your name will be attached to anything you post.
2: Scroll down the main page about half way to the heading 'Helping Out'. Just under here is a text entry box. Type the title of your article here, and click the button.
3: If the article already exists, you will be told so, otherwise you are taken straight to the text editor thing.
4: It's actually easier to edit using WikiSource Text - Under the heading 'controls' at the top of the text editor panel, click the WikiSource Text button. Now you can add links without having to click buttons.
5: To link to an article, simply type it's name in a pair of Square Brackets (eg: [[JMN]]). You need to type the exact title of the article, but as long as you get that right, it's all automatic.
6: To add a heading in the page (eg: to seperate the page into a general discussion, a history section and a origins section or some such) type ===heading===. (Obviously you replace the word 'heading' with the heading you want to appear)
7: Add as many articles as you can think off. Also add to other people's articles to correct them or expand them or whatever. Also add images and examples and so forth.
8: You also have a profile page if you want to use it.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

puddingwrestler

I've also discovered that it's very easy to add pictures - just click on the add picture button and follow prompts really. It would be good if people could add example images to the articles (I've already done this with some of my own models in a few spots), so if you can think of the perfect example to embody any of the entries, please add it. The whole point of a wiki is that anyone can add to it, so if you want to, do not stand of ceremony or even introduction. Or your feet.

B777LR

I've been adding a little every now and then, when i've got time. I must say you are doing a great job puddingwrestler!

We may need a logo for the whiffpedia frontpage, if anybody feels up to it :thumbsup:

The Rat

Is it possible to edit a title? Because I think 'Twiglet' should really be 'Twiglets'.  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

puddingwrestler

I'm sure you can edit a title Herr Vonn Ratt, however I have a feeling that doing so will break any links to that article which exist in other articles (although I don't think anything links to the twiglet page yet)

The Rat

Quote from: puddingwrestler on May 03, 2009, 06:01:04 PM
I'm sure you can edit a title Herr Vonn Ratt, however I have a feeling that doing so will break any links to that article which exist in other articles (although I don't think anything links to the twiglet page yet)

Yep, one of mine tries but it won't go through because I used the standard 'Twiglets'. But I don't know how to edit a title.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

puddingwrestler

I'e had a look and can't find a way to do it either - however I think we can create a page entitled 'twiglets' and make it re-direct to the already existing 'twiglet' page.

The Rat

Okay PW. Alternately, would it be possible to copy the page content (simple right-click-copy), delete the page entirely, and make a new one named Twiglets?

Being the rather pedantic nit that I am I've been making loads of spelling and grammatical edits over there, but I promise not to change anything other than that.

B777LR

Yes, deleting and copying content is indeed the only way. I say do it if you feel like it :thumbsup:

puddingwrestler

Quote from: The Rat on May 03, 2009, 08:30:42 PM
Being the rather pedantic nit that I am I've been making loads of spelling and grammatical edits over there, but I promise not to change anything other than that.

That's the first thing I did, but I have not gone back and re-checked my own entries, I only did those which existed before I started posting.

Damian2

Oooh once I'm done with all of the SA Navy profiles I can now give them a -pedia home...it's like being published :P
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

The Rat

Quote from: B787 on May 03, 2009, 10:44:36 PM
Yes, deleting and copying content is indeed the only way. I say do it if you feel like it :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I don't know how to delete a page either.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: