Starfix's Finest......

Started by Weaver, May 03, 2009, 02:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Thought I'd share some classic Starfixism with you.

This is allegedly an Alphajet (compare and contrast the wing planform in particular to the real thing...)

And this is presumably Pilot officer W.Gummidge "reportin' fer dooty now oiv' found me flyin' 'ead":

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

I take it Aunt Sally will be in the back seat then?? :lol:
I have a starfix HH-3 in the stash, I should really be making it as Gumage force one when I manage to build it without laughing.
"Ooh oyd luv a nice cuppa tea and a slice a cake" 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

"Oi carn't find tha saucers for the teacups m'dears..... Oh silly me: thar on tha front o' me 'elmet!"
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Yeah, they were crap, but just the thing to give a kid starting out. Do you really want to spend megabucks on a tamigawa product and have them get gluey fingerprints all over it? As terrible as they were I wish they, or an equivalent product, were still around.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Most people seem to use the little Revell or Airfix starter kits to get kids hooked nowadays. Bit of a big step up to "real" kits though...

The thing is, it actually seems to go together well. It's got a bit of heavy detail on it, but it's raised so you can sand it down, and it's no worse than Matchbox trenching which you can't. Essentially, it's a decent, if basic kit of a non-existent aeroplane.... :unsure:

As I said on the "stash" thread, it occurs to me to do it up in Argentine markings, with a radar nose and a couple of scratched Martin Pescador ASMs, and present it as something like an "FMA IA-126": the IA-63's big brother....

- Indiana Jones

Runway ? ...

I've got one kicking around if anyone want's a challenge :)

chrisonord

That pilot needs the end of his nose painting a nice shade of sclerosis of the liver purple red, and he needs a can of special brew in that appropriately raised hand.
I am going to have to get me one of these kits just so I can make the pilots into alkies :drink: :cheers: :lol:
Chris.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

Need it parked on the hard shoulder (or wrapped round a tree) with a Tornado F.3 in a Jam Sandwich scheme pulled up behind it. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Supertom

That looks a lot like the Matchbox kit, which was modelled after the prototype mockup.  I had the Matchbox mockup kit which wound up becoming a single-seater light strike craft.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Weaver

Quote from: Supertom on May 11, 2009, 11:15:21 AM
That looks a lot like the Matchbox kit, which was modelled after the prototype mockup.  I had the Matchbox mockup kit which wound up becoming a single-seater light strike craft.

Interesting - it feels a bit Matchboxy, now you mention it.......

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

More alternative anatomy courtesy of Starfix: the guy in the background (F-5 pilot) was obviously the nose-donor for the Alphajet pilot! The liddlest aliens in the foreground are actually the crew from a VEB Plasticart Yak-24P Horse in "VEB Scale", which is variously claimed as anything from "nearly 1/72nd" to 1/100th.

The little guys have possibilities, don't they?  ;D They remind me of this famous "alien" photograph:

- Indiana Jones