Question About Torpedo Tube Dimensions. Why are they going to 30.0''/762mm?

Started by PolluxDeltaSeven, April 29, 2008, 11:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolluxDeltaSeven

Now we're talking about that, does somebody know what were the projects Mk49/51/52/53, if any of them even exists??

I always wonder why the Seawolf Class SSN has 762mm tubes (actually, I can't find for sure if its 8 x 30in tubes or 8 x 26in tubs or both) instead of standard 533mm (21in) of the Los Angeles and Virginia classes!?
Maybe there was a project for a new heavy torpedo before the end of the Cold War?
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: PolluxDeltaSeven on April 29, 2008, 11:21:58 AMNow we're talking about that, does somebody know what were the projects Mk49/51/52/53, if any of them even exists??
I always wonder why the Seawolf Class SSN has 762mm tubes (actually, I can't find for sure if its 8 x 30in tubes or 8 x 26in tubs or both) instead of standard 533mm (21in) of the Los Angeles and Virginia classes!?
Maybe there was a project for a new heavy torpedo before the end of the Cold War?

Yannick,

From what I have read on the subject the increase in torpedo tube diameter was not with the intention of introducing larger weapons but to allow the torpedo to swim out of the tube without the telltale noise associated with the normal launch or ejection of the weapon which would alert the intended target to impending attack and allow for evasive maneuvers to be taken or countermeasures to be deployed to defeat the sensors on the torpedo. 

From my time in the military as an intelligence analyst I recall reading about larger diameter tubes being introduced on Russian submarines with a new larger diameter weapon being the reason for this.  I never bothered much with any additional research on the subject as a civilian to confirm that this was the reason or perhaps the Russians had realized the stealth benefits of the larger tubes before the U.S. Navy and decided it was a good idea.  Not the first time that has happened and certainly won't be the last either. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

MAD

Interesting!!!
I never expected to be finding out such great information on a 'what if' forum

Thanks

M.A.D

DaFROG

Quote from: MAD on June 20, 2009, 03:51:07 AM
Interesting!!!
I never expected to be finding out such great information on a 'what if' forum

Thanks

M.A.D
We can't be having that......

Preliminary research indicates hat 762mm torpedo tubes should be capable of firing a range of standard sized white goods, possibly including the dreaded gas stove full of poo-poo (although i believe this was originally an air dropped weapon).

such a diameter would also allow the firing of 100:1 scale replicas of a variety of small arms munitions (theres an interesting Seagram project in that for someone : )

Weaver

The Russian 650mm tubes were introduced in order to fire the SS-N-16 ASW missile, which is a non-nuclear (torpedo-carrying) alternative to the SS-N-15, which is a nuclear-only weapon roughly equivalent to the US SUBROC.

The 650mm tubes can also carry the Type 65 wake-homing anti-ship torpedo, which needs extra range and speed to compensate for it's inherently inefficient (but very deadly) homing method. Basically, the torpedo is fired across the target's stern and then makes a series of turns, "snaking" along the ship's course by detecting the edges of it's wake. This means that it covers far more distance than a torpedo which heads straight towards the ship, and also has to be fast enough to catch the ship up despite the fact that it's not following as straight a course. The advantage is that it's shielded from the ship's sonar by the noise of the ship's own wake, and is realtively immune to sonic countermeasures. It's also highly likely to take the ship's props off when it hits, thereby virtually guaranteeing a "mission kill" even if it fails to actually sink it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

What weaver also fails to mention is that the Type 65 actually carries the heaviest warhead of any torpedo in service, weighing in at one full ton of explosive.  Before that, the Japanese Type 93 was the high class, at 24"/61cm carrying a just over thousand pound warhead at the heaviest version.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Matt Wiser

The Type-65 is also known to the USN by another name: They call it "Long Lanceski"....and for good reason.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage