Luft'46 German Nuclear Weapons (WHIF)

Started by TsrJoe, May 06, 2009, 01:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagallacci

Here is a sketch of the very early gun shape being dropped at Wendover, based on the photos in the Coster-Mullen "Atomic Bomb" book.
Presumably the device was to have a massive tamper in the nose and a long gun tube. The length might reflect a higher velocity gun, either to make sure a U235 weapon wouldn't pre-detonate and/or before it was clear that even at high velocity, a Pu weapon could not work due to pre-detonation.

jcf

TsrJoe

cool thanks for posting the sketch 'sagallacci' definately a different configuration for sure, sortv like a stripped out 'Little Boy'

meanwhile, Antares 1/48 scale resin German weapons ...
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

iv made a 1/32 scale 'small uranium bomb' with 'saddle' based on the Georg/Shestakov artwork, just to be different iv a Hasegawa Fw.190F.8 which i'll mount it beneath as opposed to the Me.109 or Ju.87 usually depicted

cheers, Joe

TsrJoe

TsrJoe

a generic schematic of a possible 'atom bomb' from a post war German publication ...

Jeffry Fontaine

Interesting fin arrangement on that conceptual drawing. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on February 08, 2010, 05:42:37 PM
Interesting fin arrangement on that conceptual drawing. 

Indeed. Could it actually be a shroud over a parachute pack, i.e. it's designed to blow off alomst immediately after dropping?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sagallacci

Looks more like a WAG of the US Mk3/Fatman configuration and the tail is just bad art/simple drag plate.

TsrJoe

TsrJoe

TsrJoe

SA.4000 V3 radiological 'dirty' bomb at RAF. Museum storage facility Stafford

reference, 'Aeroplane' June 2006

quote, Curator Ewen Cameron ... 'one of Hitler's nuclear weapons. Not a fission weapon, but the original dirty bomb. It was designed to drop a mixture of radioactive isotopes and high explosive; the conventioinal explosion would scatter radioactive contamination over a wide area'

note the V3 and SA.4000 notations on the casings, applied by allied forces for identification

cheers Joe

TsrJoe

cool nice 3d renders, an interesting bomb configuration too, different from the norm, is the Horten XVIIIb avaliable as a kit as yet ?
(i had started scratchbuilding one til i discovered the drawings i was using didnt match those shown on an original i later found...typical!)

many thanks, Joe