comic book build: Bordurian Bf.109

Started by Spey_Phantom, May 06, 2009, 08:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

the 2 fuselage halves have been put together, this morning i finished the cockpit.
prop is done to  :mellow:
the black in the cockpot for the instruments, throttle and seatbelts was done with a CD marker, as this is more precise to work with then paint  <_<

she's coming allong nicely  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

-UPDATE-

main assembly is complete and the green paint has been applied, up to now the paint is looking perfect. landing gear parts are still drying.
if the green paint is dry, then im gonna get started on the grey underside.

remember when i said im planning to build it as a diorama, well im keeping my word  ;D
i found an old plank, and combined with some glue and grass carpet you can et some decent results  <_<

after some work, still in progress.......

and i now would like to introduce to you the team of Bordurian Luftwaffe technicians and the pilot (far left) who will make the Bf.109 fly again, to bad i dont have a tintin figure in 1/72  :angry:

here's a pic of the crew after i drafted them in earlier today  :mellow:

and here they are again, now fully dressed to serve the glorious Bordurian empire, looking sharp men  :thumbsup:, if only Colonel Sponsz could see you now.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Looking good Nils  :thumbsup: The bloke third from the left looks an "armless" enough fellow  ;D

I'll get my coat  :party:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2009, 02:53:44 AM
Looking good Nils  :thumbsup: The bloke third from the left looks an "armless" enough fellow  ;D

I'll get my coat  :party:
dont worry, he has arms, only you cant see them because trere on his back ;)

-FINAL UPDATE-

the tailplanes have been taped off prior to painting the last parts.

and now for a Bonus pic  ;D
here's a picture of the ground crew and the pilot in front of the aircraft.
taken somewhere in borduria in 1943  :mellow:

next update will be the finished thing  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

-FINISHED-

she's finished and ready to  show off  ;D
this model will also be on display at the modelshow in my village in september  :mellow:

first off, the pilot showing of his new aircraft in 1943  ;D

and then of course, the color pics of the finished model, i printed out a bavarian background, as i think the aircraft would look good in its natural suroundings  :mellow:

and here's a picture of the display stand  :thumbsup:

UPDATE

i folowed the advise of someone over on another forum, ive removed the footstands from the figures, they look a lot better now  :lol:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

B777LR

As Rafa and Brian keep saying to me: You're getting better every day!

That looks really nice!

Who makes those figures? My grandfather gave me a large cigar box containing a few hundred of those exact figures, without any box / label of any kind.

sequoiaranger

You've done a nice job and presentation, Nils. I was never familiar with the comic book series from which it was taken, though.

>Who makes those figures? My grandfather gave me a large cigar box containing a few hundred of those exact figures, without any box / label of any kind.<

I believe the figures are from "Preiser". I have the same set, more or less, as certainly SOME of those figures are exactly the same as my Preiser set of "Luftwaffe Ground Crew", or "Luftwaffe AirCrew" or something. I think they sold two separate sets. Airfix had a Luftwaffe figure set, too, but I think they were "desert" figures.

Airfix made some fine historical figures in "OO" scale, which translates roughly to 1/72. You can get Aussies, Russkies, Polish cavalry, etc. 

I had a whif in mind once (which will NOT get done) of taking one of the old boxy high-winged French bombers (Amiot 143?), putting slatted sliding doors from an HO-scale cattle car, putting Polish cavalry in it, using "tousandfussler" (spelling?) wheels under it, and declaring it the first "Air Cavalry" that is delivered directly to the battlefield!! It just tickled my mind to think of an airplane landing directly on the battleground amidst gunfire, and horse cavalry rushing out at full gallop!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

Nils, she looks beautiful - might want to check the decals on the fuselage, at the horizontal angle one looks like it's lifting a little on the upper edge.

SR - that's just madness, but I LIKE IT!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

philp

Nice build and nice dio.

The figures are the Airfix RAF ground crew set (had that one in my teens).

Nils,
Like it much better with the bases off the figs.  In earlier pics they looked a little shiny.  Don't see that so much in the last shots. Did you hit them with a little flat spray?

One other thing, the gentleman kneeling with the ammo belt across his shoulders seems a little out of place.  I know the original set showed him servicing the guns on a Spit.  Maybe adding an ammo box that he is pulling the belt out of would tie it in a bit.  Course, what do I know. The only dio's I have done have been helping my kids with school projects.

I think we have another possibility for a Whiffie.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sequoiaranger

>One other thing, the gentleman kneeling with the ammo belt across his shoulders seems a little out of place. <

Ammo belt? So THAT's what that was. I thought it looked like a large snake!

You might forgive my "mistaken observation" by looking below: there is the pic of the crewman, and my spouse with a snake in Jamaica!

B777LR

Quote from: philp on June 09, 2009, 09:05:11 AM
One other thing, the gentleman kneeling with the ammo belt across his shoulders seems a little out of place.  I know the original set showed him servicing the guns on a Spit.  Maybe adding an ammo box that he is pulling the belt out of would tie it in a bit.  Course, what do I know. The only dio's I have done have been helping my kids with school projects.

No need to worry about what aircraft he is servicing. I have used on of that guys with a Luftwaffe Harrier :thumbsup:

Quote from: sequoiaranger on June 09, 2009, 09:19:33 AM
You might forgive my "mistaken observation" by looking below: there is the pic of the crewman, and my spouse with a snake in Jamaica!

What's your spouse doing with an ammo belt? ;D

sequoiaranger

The dog in the cartoon wouldn't perchance be a "Bordur" collie, would he?

Brian da Basher

Very well done, Iceman! You've done an excellent job of capturing the look and feel of the Bordurian 109 and ground crew! Those shots took me back to the wonderful Tin Tin books.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Ed S

I don't know anything about that comic, but I do know that this is a nice looking model.  Well done.

:thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Mossie

I'm fairly familiar with TinTin, more the cartoon series than the comic books, but I don't remember these fighters.  Saying that, I was only about ten at the oldest when it was being shown here.

Great stuff, nice clean looking bird!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.