Another question to Joe -- All Moving Fin (Was Blue Water pylons)

Started by kitnut617, May 06, 2009, 11:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Hi Joe,

In my project I'm trying to distance the mods I'm doing from being just some Tornado add-ons, and I've decided to go with the pylons which were to go with the Blue Water missile.  I would like to know what was supposed to be installed in these pylons as the trailing edge is very thick and looks like it has louvers or some sort of screen in the trailing edge (it's more of a rear end than an edge)

Cheers,
Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TsrJoe

the 'Blue Water' pylons have a heat exchanger unit within them to power up the missile before launching (i think the design used is based on the side elevation and description in Derek Wood's Project Cancelled (taken from an interim brochure on the possible used of Blue water as an airborne weapon, as iv not found any specific detail drawings of the pylon itself in the files iv seen

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

kitnut617

Thanks Joe, now I'm intrigued with how the missile worked, I have the Project Cancelled' book, I'll have to roust it out again and read it again as I can't remember reading about the Blue Water.  Would it be in BSP-Hypersonics etc. too?

So if these pylons have all that gear in them and their own coolers included, I could 'resurrect' them but have other equipment installed, like jammers and other ECM equipment, it would work into my backstory better too, each aircraft quite capable of operating totally independant of any other platform.

Another question, the 'all-moving' fin, how powerful was it and if the aircraft got much more powerful engines, would it have to be bigger ?

Cheers,
Robert

TsrJoe

iv found reference at Kew that amongst the expected modifications for a 'productionised' TSR.2 there was a need for underfuselage fins to increase the surface area, im guessing these would be similar in form to those proposed for EE.'s P.17A (or even the F.111?) as yet i have not found an actual installation drawing of what was actually intended altho a number of models were tried out with such an arrangement

other mods intended were the addition of a runway arrestor hook, deletion of the extendable nosewheel, 'window' dispensers (details unknown) and a 'clearer view' cockpit canopy (this is actually similar to that fitted to the preproduction models and drawings released prior to first flight)

hoping this helps, cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

kitnut617

Thanks Joe & Simon,

I should've thought about the ventral fins so I've found a 3-View of the P.17a and this will get something similar I think, also I've the remains of a F-15 which will do for the field arrester hook.  I don't want to put a BOZ-107 on this now so does anyone have any photos of the 'window and flare' dispenser that the Typhoon has ?

I've been trying to get myself a copy of your Aerofax book Joe, but not located one yet, but what did the preproduction canopy look like, I thinking that the existing TSR-2's are the prototypes (pre-preproduction) ?

Robert

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on May 07, 2009, 08:16:24 AM
Providing they've got their physics right, it's a good indication that you shouldn't need to make any mods to the fin.

Got their physics right? This IS Alphasim we're talking about.............. :)

Their TSR2 flies like a lead manhole cover in FS2004, it's almost impossible to get any speed out of it down low, which is where it was meant to operate of course. Their visual model is terrific but benefits from some file swapping with other designers, I can't remember who just now but i'll check my files.

The Blue Water in its versions is in the Hypersonics book, page 119 has a drawing of them loaded on a TSR2, but there's loads of references to the missile all over the book.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617