F-8 What Ifs

Started by tigercat2, May 07, 2009, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

I have always liked the F-8, and thought that the F-8 could have been a GREAT USAF aircraft, especially in SEA.

Wes W.

Taiidantomcat

Wonderful Mig Masters  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tigercat2

Here is the ultimate F8U, the F8U-3.  It lost to the McDonnell F4H Phantom II in 1958, and by all accounts was a superb aircraft.  Think how modern USAF and USN aviation would be different if this aircraft, probably designated F9U, had gone into service instead of the Phantom II.

Wes W.

Sisko

Wow what a collection! Some great whiffs in there.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

tigercat2

Thanks,

Here are a few additional F-8s, along with a few other What ifs.

Wes W.

GTX

I'd like to do one like this:

See here for some more.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tigercat2

Very impressive profiles!!  The F-8 would have been a superb export aircraft, IMHO, better suited to many air forces than the F-104.  With a RR Spey fan, it would have performed even better than the USN version (or French version), and could have actually been a very effective attack aircraft as well, sort of like the dual role F/A-18, only 20 years earlier.

Actually  I have an F-8 re-done in Luftwaffe markings, and one in Canadian markings as well.

Wes W.

jorel62

You have one of the greatest collections I've ever seen...... Can we see more of it?

nev

Quote from: GTX on May 07, 2009, 04:53:46 PM
I'd like to do one like this:

See here for some more.

Regards,

Greg

Radish did an Israeli one several years ago using the old Italeri 1/48 kit, absolutely gorgeous it was.  I think he did a dk green Danish one as well.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Howard of Effingham

i think that the USAF SEA RA-5 vigilante [if its that] looks good.  :thumbsup:

also the crusaders. i had to spend a while deciding what's a wiff and
what's not.

excellent bunch of models!
Keeper of George the Cat.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on May 08, 2009, 01:17:03 AM

The USN really did paint a couple of RA5-Cs in an SEA scheme, but maybe not exactly as Wes has done his. There were some A-6s done similarly, but trying to find exact details of the schemes is difficult. Mind you, since when has that stopped us making models of such things before now?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

As far as memory goes the RA-5's, A-6's, and F-4G's were given an upper surface single colour of dark green. However this made them difficult to see when manouvering on deck at night, so the idea was scrapped.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

BrittMac

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on May 08, 2009, 01:17:03 AM

excellent bunch of models!
Looks like USAF to me,by looking at the tailcode, as does the all black viggie next to it.  Very cool collection!  I am surprised no one mentioned the YF-23 from ED I would guess......very neat.

tigercat2

Here are a few more shots of part of my collection; these were taken at various times, and some of the aircraft have been moved.  I actually have more than these that are in storage, I rotate them through every few months.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Another shot; I've been at this for over 40 years, and some of the models are that old. 

Wes W.