F-8 What Ifs

Started by tigercat2, May 07, 2009, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

One more shot before I hop on an airplane; that Airfix Whirlwind (H - HE) in the previous photo was built in the summer of 1969, while I was in Summer School at NSCU; it has held up well all these many years.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Kenyan P-39? *Head explodes*

Fantastic! :thumbsup:

tigercat2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on May 08, 2009, 04:38:55 AM
Kenyan P-39? *Head explodes*

Fantastic! :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the complement; in my What If World, obviously, anything goes.  That is part of the fun, IMHO; any aicraft, any markings, etc.  If there truly is a "multiverse", perhaps some of these really exist.

Here are a few more photos of the collection, and some insane What ifs.

Wes W.

tigercat2

tigercat2

A What if Sea Fury

Wes W

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: jorel62 on May 07, 2009, 05:43:51 PM
You have one of the greatest collections I've ever seen...... Can we see more of it?

I agree.  When a modeler has to park his aircraft in both directions to sandwich as many as possible onto his shelves, you know you're looking at one heck of a lifetime collection.  And you say you've got so many that you have to rotate them out of storage on temporary display?  Wow!

Moderators, could we set up some photo gallery threads per individual modeler in a sub-forum?  Something where only the modeler him/herself has the ability to upload images from a remote hosting service (such as Photobucket or Flickr, etc.) so viewers can see their various builds all in one place under one name?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sideshowbob9

Syria, PRC, Italy, Qatar, Zimbabwe? Damn Hawker must be pleased with their Sales Department?  ;D

tigercat2

I have a decal collection that goes back to my Freshman year at NC State University; 1968 - 69.  Amazingly, some of these decals are still viable; I used some from a 1/48 Monogram FW-190 (a temporary diversion from 1/72 in my youth) purchased around that time on a Lindberg DO-335 finished recently.  Also, I purchased all of the Zotz "roundels of the World" that I could find.  These really make for some wild What ifs!!

tigercat2

Here is the Lindberg DO-335, built a few weeks ago with 40 year old decals from a 1/48 FW-190.  Totally inaccurate in the real world, but in the What if world, it fits right in!!

Wes W.

Eddie M.

Very impressive collection! Your F-8 collection is note worthy as well :mellow:. :mellow: Since it's obvious you're a Crusader fan, I thought you might like to see what I did with one. I bashed it with a F-16.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Crusade%20Falcon/Nov08006-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Crusade%20Falcon/Nov08026.jpg
Look behind you!

tigercat2

Your F-8/F-16 is FANTASTIC!! What a concept, and it looks completely beleivable.  A great idea of combining the best of 70s technology with 50s technology.   I am a big fan of the F-8, and always thought that LTV got a lot more out of the airframe/engine combo than North American did with the F-100, using the same J-57 engine.  Plus, every F-8 was capable of carrier landings.  Imagine how hot a performer a land-based-only F-8 would have been, without the weight of the beefed up landing gear and folding wings.  Throw a afterburning  Spey, TF 30 or F100 fan, and it would have been awesome.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Here is another shot of some of the collection.  Will try to get better photos when I return.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Sorry, the post immediatly preceeding this one used the same photo as one before.  Got them mixed up.

Wes W.

tigercat2

I am a big fan of the F-104 and its derivatives as well.  Here are 14 of them; I have more "big wing" F-104s in the works.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Well I'm an F-4 man myself, always found F-8s and F-104s too skinny for my liking (if you want to burn the heretic you'll have to get in line  :wacko:).

That said, your collection of F-8s and F-104s is simply stunning (your F-8 Eddie M. is kickass btw).