Air Police???

Started by GTX, May 09, 2009, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

To introduce a note of levity, wasn't one of the Biggles books called "Biggles of the Special Air Police"?

We regularly get  the R A F coming out to play through the Lake District, and no one really cares as long as they display due consideration for other road users.  Looking down on a pair of Tornadi from one of the high passes is not unusual. As Mrs Rheged remarked  when this happened to her recently, "If I'd had a pair of Sidewinders on the car roof bars, I could have taken the pair of them!"  It wouldn't have looked good for the light blues, losing a couple of aircraft to a middle aged lady in a Citroen estate.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

deathjester

<Rant Mode ENGAGED>:  Saw something on the news yesterday, about Cambridgeshire police having to save 17 million pounds this year, and them thinking of scrapping their helicopter, and sharing other counties birds.  This is a crazy idea, as the upkeep of the Air Support Unit 'only ' costs £500, 000 per year, so surely it will cost more to not have that capability, than to leave things well alone!   :<Rant Mode DISENGAGED>

However, this got me thinking:  Instead of buying specially built police helos, how about all those unused  AH-1G Cobras stored in America?  Much cheaper, surely ;) ;D

scooter

Quote from: deathjester on July 02, 2011, 05:01:54 AM
However, this got me thinking:  Instead of buying specially built police helos, how about all those unused  AH-1G Cobras stored in America?  Much cheaper, surely ;) ;D

So...something like this, eh?

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

deathjester

:ph34r:Perfect!  Would bring back some respect for Law and Order!

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 18, 2009, 07:33:06 PM
Quote from: Cobra on June 06, 2009, 09:13:21 PM
This Story sounds like Something you'd See on "Mythbusters"!!!!! maybe it should be Sent it to if they Can Confirm it!!!!!!! :mellow: :cheers:

Actually I was watching Mythbusters a few weeks ago, they were doing the busting on a number of so called tricks and gadgets that supposedly beat radar guns.  Of course all of the tricks failed but as always the two guys had to take things to the extreme, they enrolled the help of a jet car which could do just over 300 mph.  Well the upshot was that the radar gun couldn't record a speed from the jet car going at full tat.  So the concensus was if you could do 300+ you wouldn't get a ticket from the radar gun use, but that's not to say you wouldn't get a ticket

One of the bike mags did some tests on this a while ago. They found that with stuff like correct size mesh over the headlights and radiator (the biggest radar reflectors) they couldn't prevent the bike from registering on a speed gun, but they could reduce it's signature so much that the operator would have to stand so close to it's line of travel to get a reading that it wouldn't be safe (apparently police rules say they have to stand x feet from the kerb).

One intriguing, but untested, suggestion to deal with the forward facing radars in unmarked police cars (that sit in the middle lane nicking those that speed past them) was to put two indentical, backwards-facing corner reflectors on the back wheel of the bike at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, the idea being that the radar's automatic gain control (which picks the strongest return and disregards the rest) would lock onto both of them, average them out, and get a speed reading of zero. All they could nick you for then was overtaking whilst parked.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Army of One

Quote from: JayBee on May 18, 2011, 01:36:40 AM
Quote from: Army of One on August 08, 2010, 07:54:41 PM
Bit dissapointed about the lack of blue lights on any of the a/c.... ;D
With regard to the Tonka story......I read in a police publication that a traffic officer was conducting 'persecution of motorists exeding the speed limit' somewhere up north or even in Scotland....app his speed gun registered a speed of 400mph+ before failing.....never to work again.....over a period of time it was established that it had been disabled after the a/c percieved it as a threat......local old bill Guvn'r wrote to OC of the base concerned prob to get it replaced/paid for.....got the firm reply of no! a/c detected a threat and dealt with it......this is related from my memory and I have no idea how the a/c would disable it....if anyone is really interested I can try and obtain the article....if any one is then pm me and I will contact the publication.....H

That story is at least true. It was a Buccaneer running into the Tain range, north of Inverness. The policeman concerned is an old friend of mine.

Ha....!!! Awesome...! I remember reading it years ago in a Police publication that has a page called 'Dogberry' which contains funny stuff from all over UK forces...usually when someone has mucked up......in an embarrassing way....very funny stuff.. ;D
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

karlik

Czech Police old scheme

and my camoscheme for Mi-24

Veřerejná bezpečnost /Czechoslovak Police before 1989/
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soubor:Czechoslovak_police_car_5170.JPG

and my scheme for Mi-24

Czech police real
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=czech+republic+-+police&countrysearch=&specialsearch=&keywords=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&daterange=&range=&thumbnails=&engine_version=6.0

Very interesting is Kamov 50 in PC game King of the Road /truck simulator/  ;D

tigercat

Wasn't Biggles in the Air Police ?

scooter

Of course, here's taking it to the extreme:

Honestly, trying to strap an SPS Lumina to an F-15's hardpoints. :D
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

Old Wombat

What, they were going to be the Scream Police? :blink:

;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 06, 2011, 05:52:48 PM
What, they were going to be the Scream Police? :blink:

;)

lol... Actually the cop driving was...distracted by his partner and drove into the F-15.  The stories, however, are unclear as to "what" the partner was doing.  Although they do agree on one thing- the partner was female.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx