Air Police???

Started by GTX, May 09, 2009, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Quote from: deathjester on June 05, 2009, 04:51:25 PM
Wouldn't it save so much trouble in police chases (as seen on 'Police! Crash!,Bang Wallop!) if the Fuzz had access to Apaches for their Air Support Units.  Might be an idea to ask Rockwell if they do a Burberry seeking version of Hellfire....

Brilliant idea, I can hear the howls of protest from the burberry wearing chav community - music to strafe by!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff

So we get little Citroens with chaff/flare dispensers in place of rear spoilers lol.

Spey_Phantom

or prop driven motorcycles with wings  :lol:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Mossie

Quote from: lancer on June 06, 2009, 07:41:22 AM
Quote from: deathjester on June 05, 2009, 04:51:25 PM
Wouldn't it save so much trouble in police chases (as seen on 'Police! Crash!,Bang Wallop!) if the Fuzz had access to Apaches for their Air Support Units.  Might be an idea to ask Rockwell if they do a Burberry seeking version of Hellfire....

Brilliant idea, I can hear the howls of protest from the burberry wearing chav community - music to strafe by!!!

There was a story going around some years back of copper with a radar gun trying to trap a local motorcycle gang that they'd been after for some time.  An RAF Tonka went overhead & played havoc with the radar gun.  Apparently the ALARM missiles the Tonka's were carrying went into defence mode, fortunately for the copper they weren't armed so didn't launch!

It's probably an urban myth, but maybe the copper should have been given a laser designator & called in an air strike.....

Mind you, the Police are taking a more & more aggressive stance on speeders, scroll down to the bottom of this news page:
http://www.wreckered.co.uk/cars/motoring_2.htm
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

deathjester

The Tornado story is absolutley true - I remember reading it at the time.  The Tornado's computer registered this speed gun as a threat (apparently it was on the same frequency as some SAM systems, and started working out an attack on it's position! It was only quick work by the nav that stopped it dropping something nasty on their panda car!  That's how I heard it, anyway.

Cobra

This Story sounds like Something you'd See on "Mythbusters"!!!!! maybe it should be Sent it to if they Can Confirm it!!!!!!! :mellow: :cheers:

jcf

The story is old, is false and exists in a variety of forms:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp

kitnut617

Quote from: Cobra on June 06, 2009, 09:13:21 PM
This Story sounds like Something you'd See on "Mythbusters"!!!!! maybe it should be Sent it to if they Can Confirm it!!!!!!! :mellow: :cheers:

Actually I was watching Mythbusters a few weeks ago, they were doing the busting on a number of so called tricks and gadgets that supposedly beat radar guns.  Of course all of the tricks failed but as always the two guys had to take things to the extreme, they enrolled the help of a jet car which could do just over 300 mph.  Well the upshot was that the radar gun couldn't record a speed from the jet car going at full tat.  So the concensus was if you could do 300+ you wouldn't get a ticket from the radar gun use, but that's not to say you wouldn't get a ticket
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

They did a similar thing on Top Gear a few years back, IIRC they used a Ferrari & found that the camera couldn't register speeds over 170mph.  I'll remember that in my Ford Focus....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Fulcrum

Maybe if decentralization took place under a possible Libertarianist government, the police gets fighter-interceptors for air defense & airspace sovreignity missions.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Army of One

Bit dissapointed about the lack of blue lights on any of the a/c.... ;D
With regard to the Tonka story......I read in a police publication that a traffic officer was conducting 'persecution of motorists exeding the speed limit' somewhere up north or even in Scotland....app his speed gun registered a speed of 400mph+ before failing.....never to work again.....over a period of time it was established that it had been disabled after the a/c percieved it as a threat......local old bill Guvn'r wrote to OC of the base concerned prob to get it replaced/paid for.....got the firm reply of no! a/c detected a threat and dealt with it......this is related from my memory and I have no idea how the a/c would disable it....if anyone is really interested I can try and obtain the article....if any one is then pm me and I will contact the publication.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Fulcrum

I have been pondering this for a while: what if the security situation changed & everybody's armed forces becomes unpopular(though unthinkable really)...

a possible solution is to merge both the armed forces & the police into a kind of gendarmie(armoured veihcles with the battenburg pattern, a heavily-armed coast guard/naval gendarmie & a air guard/air gendarmie with the obvious assortment of transports, helicopters & fighter jets for air defense :wacko: *)

(*a mig-21 or f-16 with national insignia & blue-yellow battenburg patterns ;D :wacko:)

The idea is sorta inspired from Costa Rica, Panama, though on a larger scale than those small countries.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

JayBee

Quote from: Army of One on August 08, 2010, 07:54:41 PM
Bit dissapointed about the lack of blue lights on any of the a/c.... ;D
With regard to the Tonka story......I read in a police publication that a traffic officer was conducting 'persecution of motorists exeding the speed limit' somewhere up north or even in Scotland....app his speed gun registered a speed of 400mph+ before failing.....never to work again.....over a period of time it was established that it had been disabled after the a/c percieved it as a threat......local old bill Guvn'r wrote to OC of the base concerned prob to get it replaced/paid for.....got the firm reply of no! a/c detected a threat and dealt with it......this is related from my memory and I have no idea how the a/c would disable it....if anyone is really interested I can try and obtain the article....if any one is then pm me and I will contact the publication.....H

That story is at least true. It was a Buccaneer running into the Tain range, north of Inverness. The policeman concerned is an old friend of mine.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

deathjester

I should imagine that the sheer amount of power the jammers put out fried the electronics of the speed gun!