B-49B, USAAC 1947

Started by Ed S, May 11, 2009, 08:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

During flight tests, it was apparent that the XB-35 and later YB-49 were difficult if not impossible for ground based and airborne radars to track.  The USAAC realized that this could be important to bombers trying to penetrate German air defenses.  The B-17's, B-24's and newer B-29's of the 8th AF were taking heavy losses from the new AAM's and SAM's of the Luftwaffe in 1946.  So the B-49 was pushed into production and used as a night bomber which could strike German targets with virtual impunity.  The B-49B was upgraded with a new radar allowing blind navigation and bombing without visual references.  The resulting night bombing program proved quite successful and was a major factor leading to the end of the war in early 1948.

Our local club decided that the theme for next year's club contest was WWII '46.  So not just Luft 46 but also any Allied or Axis model that might have been involved had the war continued into 1946 and beyond.  I originally wanted to mate an F-85 Goblin with the B-49, but it turns out the B-49 isn't thick enough to fit the fighter on board.  So it will be built as a night bomber.  One thing for sure, this is a big model, even in 1/72 scale.

Obligatory photo of box top and model parts.  The major wing parts have been laid in position.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Vulcan7

Great build choice Ed, I was only looking at this aircraft on youtube yesterday!  :ph34r: :ph34r: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Ed S on May 11, 2009, 08:03:26 AM
I originally wanted to mate an F-85 Goblin with the B-49, but it turns out the B-49 isn't thick enough to fit the fighter on board.

Ed,

The one-off YRB-49, the one with six engines, two podded, had a big bulged aft lower fuselage that might be big enough to hide the Goblin. It'd be LOADS more work though. See this page on HS for one guy's excellent version of it.

hyperscale.com/features/2002/yrb94apb_1.htm
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat2

Great idea; will the color scheme be NMF or glossy black?

Wes W.

stevev22fe

That looks good.....a few years ago I built a B-49D StratoWing.

The B-49D was the first version of the B-49 to have a "wet" wing and have the ability to carry the Hound Dog missile. Because of this capability, they were affectionatly called "Elvis's" by their crews.

kitnut617

I like that Steve, very smart  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ed S

Nicely done Steve.  I think mine will be painted black.  I've got the interior assembled and started painting and detailing that. I also found a nice part to fit under the nose as a radar dome.  I'll try to get some fotos this weekend.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

Saw one of these at hobby lobby that compact box fooled me! How cool is your modeling club to go with a WWII 1946 theme?!  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sequoiaranger

And anyone who still has a Lindberg B-58 (sigh--sold mine last summer) rises a notch in my book!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Vulcan7

thats a beauty Steve  :thumbsup:

can't wait to see the black version Ed  :ph34r: :tornado: :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

stevev22fe

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 30, 2009, 10:22:25 AM
And anyone who still has a Lindberg B-58 (sigh--sold mine last summer) rises a notch in my book!

The cool thing is that its the bigger scale B-58.

imatt88

sideshowbob9

Beautiful colour scheme!  :wub:

Glenn Gilbertson

Great looking bird - I like the colour scheme. :thumbsup:

Cobra

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!! You did an AWESOME Job painting her in SAC Livery! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: what do you plan to do with the B-58???? Keep up the Great Work :thumbsup: :cheers: