Started by Ed S, May 11, 2009, 08:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevev22fe

I am thinking SEA camo for the B-58

JayBee

Quote from: stevev22fe on June 01, 2009, 11:30:31 PM
I am thinking SEA camo for the B-58
You mean like Project Buulseye?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

stevev22fe

Exactly what I was thinking.

Ed S

Hey, I haven't forgotten this one.  This past weekend was a productive one.  Here are the latest pics of by B-49

The interior is completed.  The lower fuselage/wing is fully assembled.  Next step will be to add on all the upper surfaces.

Here is a closer look at the flight deck.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ed S

I guess it's been a while since I've done an update on this project.  My modeling time the last couple months has been sporadic at best.  But I have gotten the major assembly completed on the B-49 and most of the PSR is now done.  Just have to add the clear parts and the vertical stabilizers and I can get some primer on it.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

philp

Looking good Ed.  Did you put enough weight in it?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Ed S

I think so, Phil.  The instructions call for 120gm.  I ended up with about 130gm of lead weights epoxied around the cockpit and leading edge.  I checked the balance and it looks good.  I just hope the kit landing gear support that much weight.  I may drill out the nose gear strut and glue a steel pin in it.

Ed

sequoiaranger

>I just hope the kit landing gear support that much weight.  I may drill out the nose gear strut and glue a steel pin in it.<

When I look at the configuration of the nose wheel [pic below], I don't see where a steel pin would do much good. The weight downward "curves" along the strut and puts a lot of pressure on that curve and whatever holds the wheel (plastic axle?) to it. There is the weak point. I might suggest using a stronger-overall nose gear made from the beefier plastic wing landing gear of some other bomber model instead of trying to improve this one. If I knew the length of your nose wheel (from top attachment point to wheel axle), I might look in my stash for a suitable replacement (a "Nell" or "Rita" gear comes into mind, possibly even the "Rita"s nose wheel)). The one I would replace yours with would not have the curved piece, but be a straight shot (stronger) strut. Since this is a whiff (yes?), a different nose wheel would not be out of line. PM me if you think this might help.

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Ed S

Quote from: sequoiaranger on November 15, 2009, 08:50:30 AM
>I just hope the kit landing gear support that much weight.  I may drill out the nose gear strut and glue a steel pin in it.<

When I look at the configuration of the nose wheel [pic below], I don't see where a steel pin would do much good. The weight downward "curves" along the strut and puts a lot of pressure on that curve and whatever holds the wheel (plastic axle?) to it. There is the weak point. I might suggest using a stronger-overall nose gear made from the beefier plastic wing landing gear of some other bomber model instead of trying to improve this one. If I knew the length of your nose wheel (from top attachment point to wheel axle), I might look in my stash for a suitable replacement (a "Nell" or "Rita" gear comes into mind, possibly even the "Rita"s nose wheel)). The one I would replace yours with would not have the curved piece, but be a straight shot (stronger) strut. Since this is a whiff (yes?), a different nose wheel would not be out of line. PM me if you think this might help.

Thanks for the offer.  I'll look at this one and if I don't think it will support the weight, I will scratchbuild a new strut from brass rod and tubing soldered together.  That's what I did for my 1/48 P-61 after I put sufficient weight in the nose to keep it from being a tail dragger.

Ed

philp

If you can make your own, probably go that route (a skill I don't have).
Another option is this set from Scale Aircraft Conversions.
http://scaleaircraftconversions.com/moreinfo.cfm?KIT=109
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Love it, looks 'fine' in that scheme.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Slerski

« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Brian da Basher

Looks like you're in the home stretch, Ed! It's a treat to see you building this beauty and I'm really looking forward to final roll-out!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. Seems like you've got the landing gear sorted, but you might be amused at my "caveman" solution: take a large paperclip, bend it so it replaces the whole part (axle too) and CA it into place.

kitnut617

Quote from: salt6 on November 17, 2009, 06:44:32 PM
How about going with a dual wheel nose gear?

I'd thought about that for one of my kits, but the nose wheel folds away sidewards, not to the rear.  The wheel is right in the leading edge area so there's not enough room for two wheels, see here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jKSICD4soZM/Rm1MCyQ6NRI/AAAAAAAAATg/rpyMoBG0Ni8/s400/Northrop_YB-49_Landing_gear.jpg
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike