A modern version of the F-8 Crusader (from JP VIEIRA's design) 1/48

Started by G.Marcat, May 13, 2009, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Eddie M.

I love this conception and your work to bring it to life. Impressive!
Look behind you!

G.Marcat

This afternoon done another step:

Cut away the original tail of the Crusader.

A pair of dry tests to verify how to couple together the F-18's upper part with the F-8's fuselage:

Now I will reduce the size the twin engine's section of the F-18 as the Super Crusader will have ONLY ONE engine.

Sauragnmon

I would suggest retaining the original Crusader engine area as much as possible, as a 404/414 would likely not have the same thrust output as the engine in the Sader - additionally, the bay is big enough for the P229 engine, a buddy of mine, Jon Lotton, refitted a Sader with the P229 - the bay was just a nosehair too small for the F110.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

G.Marcat

Quote from: Sauragnmon on May 23, 2009, 02:48:16 PM
I would suggest retaining the original Crusader engine area as much as possible, as a 404/414 would likely not have the same thrust output as the engine in the Sader - additionally, the bay is big enough for the P229 engine, a buddy of mine, Jon Lotton, refitted a Sader with the P229 - the bay was just a nosehair too small for the F110.

You are covering an argument that I left out from the my post here above: from the beginning the my idea was of to fit the Super Crusader with a F-100 or F-110 engine, and few moments ago I have made some measurements to watch if the exhaust's nozzles from the F-16 by Hasegawa will fit at the Super Sader.
I think that the two nozzle cones can be adapted to the fuselage without too much pain (I hope).

Over this I don't like the F-404 engine nozzle because it's too slim for the my taste.

Sauragnmon

Well, you can get the P229 from the -2 block F-16's - some producers actually give you the option of either nozzle with your product - Fujimi does this, for example.  That's just an option that's out there, and it might be worth looking into.

404's or 414's would be too slim for a Super Sader, that and the thrust just wouldn't be enough for a massive fuselage like that.  414's nice on a Gripen, but it doesn't fit well onto a hulking monster like the Sader, really.

G.Marcat

Today morning modified the F-18's upper wing group deleting all the unwanted items:

Sawn a portion of the original Crusader's tailcone to match the lenght of a Hasegawa Nozzle:

Sanded (out) and cutted (inside) the locations for the horizontal tailplanes in the tail:

And, the final arrangement for the wing repositions should look like so:

With a little of luck hope to retain the airbrake in the same position of the F-18

G.Marcat

Update of today:

Having spent the last days painting some pieces, from yesterday finally begins to glue the parts in place.

Choosen the tail cone, opted for the type with the F-100's engine as installed in the early F-16s.
The fuselage have been glued a little open thanks to the lack of the tail so the installation of the F-16's tail cone have been easy!

Installed the cockpit: not strange experiments this time, used directly the original interior from the Monogram's F-18

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

imatt88

G.Marcat

Yesterday night glued in place the wings.

Few moments ago assembled the model with  the blu tac and taken a pair of images to show how will come out approximately the F-818:

After taken the photos a touch of "BAD LUCK"... destroyed the front windshield...

Taiidantomcat

This is going to be a head turner when it is finished! do you have another windscreen handy?  :banghead:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

G.Marcat

The windshield is broke in two parts, a part was found immediately but the second is disappeared.

I need another windshield, will try to purchase another F-18 Monogram....

G.Marcat

Waiting the arrival of the replacement front windshield in the last days assempbled together the main components of the F-818.

In this moment I'm filling the thousands of gaps with putty.

Here is the current status of the F-818:

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?