Terrain For Hippos: Reviving the art of Cardboard Cottage Construction!

Started by puddingwrestler, May 18, 2009, 05:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Bronze Age empire toppling is well & truly on the cards, though! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

puddingwrestler

OMFG (Oh My Flying Grot!) Terrain Compometition Time!!!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

puddingwrestler

Triple update day (of or pertaining to DOOM!)

First up, pretty pictures of Toadburg, a massive commission for the Woolongronks.

Next, the long awaited Ishoo Ninty-Too: Micro Generators brings SciFi back to TFH:

And finally, Ishoo Ninty-Free shows you how to build the characteristic bamboo groves of Toadburg:

And what's more, with Toadburg out of the way, and the second week of the school holidays therefore freed up some more, I can finally get on with steam punk paddle steamers.
Oh yes.

Weaver

Nice one with the Micro-generator. I've looked at those packs of mini-size Really Useful boxes a few times and thought "Hmmmmmm....."

One thing that struck me was that you could make modular buildings out of them. Because the sides are straight, they butt up against each other well. You could even use them right-way-up with short plasticard tunnels to link them and then you'd be able to take the lid/roofs off to move figures inside.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

I actually have two of the larger ones, and that was exactly what I was planning. Either that or use them single storey as diners (they're that sort of shape somehow...)

Weaver

Just thinking.... The simplest way to mass-produce them might be to make the connecting sections tubular: that way you can use a hole-cutter in a drill to make the holes in the boxes and say, 40mm plumbing pipe for the sections. Make sure the pipe's as near the floor level as possible so it's only a step or two up to a plasticard floor within it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

By Grot's Steam-Driven Terrain Whacking Hammer, it's time you entered the Annual Terrain Compometition! Entries close at the end of september! The rewards of Awesome are shiny and potentially cake based (if you live in Melbourne, if not, they are just shiny.)

puddingwrestler

Sirs, you are reminded of the imminent ending of the terrain competition!

puddingwrestler

To make things all nice and neat and end on a weekend (and incidentally, the last day of the school hols) I have extended the deadline on the TFH compometition to the 5th of October. You know you want to enter!

puddingwrestler

Greetings oh internetists!
I come bearing great tidings; TERRAIN FOR HIPPOS will not only be at Cancon, I shall be runnning how-to-make-stuff-reel-good sessions there! Rousing cheers!

puddingwrestler

Are you sick of christmas specials? Will you hurl if you see one more elf, or hear one more moral about loving thy neighbour? Well avoid clicking the link to the TFH Critmoose Special. It doesn't have a moral, and there are no elves, but there is a santa suit and a giant cat.

puddingwrestler

Through sinister machinations, I have wrangled a position running master classes on the noble art of African River Horse Enhanced Terrain Manufacture for Miniature Military Simulation Purposes at Cancon!
And now you can book in to sessions!
Which you should do now to A: avoid the rush and B: avoid having to pay extra on the day.
LINK! (and some explanation)

puddingwrestler

Excellent news! Due to the late start of the Victorian school year, and some cunning accomodation wrangling by Hampton's greatest accomodation wrangler, I can make all three days of Cancon! Which means extra master classes!

puddingwrestler

Fellows of the Noble Society of Hypothetical Scale Representation Makers, I have returned with pictures of the latest findings of the great P.W. Restlier expedition to Africa to study the terrain making techniques of the local river horses!

A river horse surveys his work. Why he is wearing lederhosen is unclear.

Local ruffians look rough.
You may see the complete results of the expedition here.