Terrain For Hippos: Reviving the art of Cardboard Cottage Construction!

Started by puddingwrestler, May 18, 2009, 05:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

When my mother first took up the mantle of strategic planner for the city of Brighton in the 1970s she often eded up borrowing work cars, all of which were painted in the cheapest colour the council could find - the infamous Mishion Brown. Aka Baby Poo Brown.

And now to another matter.
Surely you have all lain awake at nights tormented by the all importan question 'What If Dr. Porsche had given the VW a conventional nose?'
Strangely enough, Terrain For Hippos Ishoo Twenty-Sven holds the answer...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on January 02, 2011, 01:31:15 PM
I'm about to do wrecked cars.
As to wrecked spacecraft, they tend to require a lot fo kit parts for details, which is somethign I try to avoid on TFH since I cannot guarantee the readers have those parts and I try to keep costs down. I have actually never completed a wrecked space craft (the Ork Drop ship is not wrecked, that's just how orks land...), and the crashed shuttle from 'The Battle for Macragge' is cheaply aquired and rather a nice model, so these days I don't see too much point.

For the ultimate in ship wreckage (and the proof of my point - lots of kit parts, lots of time, and an ishoo would need to be 100 pics long to get it all in) behold the wreck of the dauntless!

Y'know actually, I can't see that many kit parts on that Dauntless. I can see a lot of recycled and/or DIY shop stuff though.... It's a great piece of work, although I have to say, the broken ends of the hull look more like those of a wooden sailing ship than a metal spacecraft. Still, who's to say what such a thing would be made of, huh?

BTW, Hobbycraft in the UK are now stocking foamboard, although it's at hobby shop prices, obviously.

EDIT: I've just twigged that he's used lots of an IMEX Chemical Plant kit in the Dauntless. Still, at £13 for 300pcs, that seems like a damn good investment....

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/Urban-Mammoth/Urban-War/Urban-War-Terrain-Packs/Bio-Toxin-Platformer-Builder-Set/prod_5255.html

http://www.ironhands.com/tehnolog.htm
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

RotorheadTX

I have to say it - Grot never fails to amuse with the humour, or amaze with the architecture!!

Great stuff, always a hoot and an inspiration to visit!!

puddingwrestler

Yes! It's time to sell off all the spare terrain in the Great TFH Auction Mark II!

Note to future readers who read this after the auction ends: you should have read it earlier and placed ENOURMOUS and EXTRAVAGENT bids on all items so I could retire. You pillocks.

puddingwrestler

The wait is over hippo fans - Ishoo Twenty Ate, the Hoth Style Generator (or Hotherator, not to be confused with the Hofferator, a power plant which runs off David Hasselhof's ego) is finally here!
And then there's some nonesense about mushrooms.

Doc Yo

The Mushroom house is drop-dead gorgeous, PW. Very well done! ( Although I have to wonder what sort of
creature would hollow out an Amanita...)

puddingwrestler

Goblins, my dear Doctor, suicidal goblins.

It should be pointed out that in Warhammer, Goblins themselves are a fungoid species, and therefore probably immune to mushroom toxins. They certainly drink beer made from fungi.

puddingwrestler

The reader's choice poll for Ishoo Firty-Too is online now.
Go and vote. Go there now! Now I say!
NOW!

puddingwrestler

puddingwrestler

And here's something to tempt you all to go look at the blog.

SinUnNombre

PW,

I just checked in on the blog and noticed the Chicken Coops won out on the Berfenday Poll over my favorite, the Spawning Pond. I'm about to start playing Lizardmen in Warhammer Fantasy and was would love some matching themed scenery. Anychance that we could still see your take on a spawning pond in a later Ishoo? Thanks for posting your great blog, and please keep up the amazing work!

Jon

puddingwrestler

Most things which are on the poll get built eventually.
Have you checked out the warpgate ishoo?

RotorheadTX

I cannot see the images @ TFH - have tried both Firefox and Esploder. Is it just me?

Oh, now I get it - bad news.

Danger: AVG Active Surf-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.
The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety.

URL: golloperworkinspace.info/jquery.js
Name: Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 1380)

SinUnNombre

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 01, 2011, 01:50:36 AM
Most things which are on the poll get built eventually.
Have you checked out the warpgate ishoo?

I'm sure I have at some point, I've at least skimmed through all of the ishoos at one point or another, but my memory is not what it should be for someone only 22.....

Glad to know that I can look forward to the spawning pond in a later ishoo. Thanks again, PW!

Jon

puddingwrestler

Quote from: RotorheadTX on April 01, 2011, 11:31:42 AM
I cannot see the images @ TFH - have tried both Firefox and Esploder. Is it just me?

Oh, now I get it - bad news.

Danger: AVG Active Surf-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.
The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety.

URL: golloperworkinspace.info/jquery.js
Name: Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 1380)

I've known about this for a few days, I am working on fixing it.