S

Communist Italy

Started by sideshowbob9, May 20, 2009, 07:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arc3371

Another thing that struck me is that South italy would probably be very much different from OTL, with most of the Industry in the north the western allies would probably pour resources to raise the industrialization and living standards in the south. I wonder how the Soviet industry would benefit from having access to one of the most industrialized areas in Europe with its strong automotive tradition.

Sauragnmon

Yeah, South Italy would be quite a different place without the North's Industry to make a lot of the privisions - remember, their major shipyards were in the North, not just that but other industries like Fiat and Ferari and others.  That's a major blow to the Italian Industries, to lose the North.  Additionally, you have Steyr and other Austrian industries under the Soviet hand too.  Germany has other industries i the South as well, in Bavaria and such, where you've got automotive and aviation industries scattered around.  It would have been scary if the Soviets had managed to get north enough to, say, Essen, with Krupp's major works there.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Geoff

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. The West would have to pour a lot of resources into Italy/Sicily/Sardinia post war, a little like W Germany in OTL.

I like the map I recon you got the border in the right place for the scenario.

I did wonder with the canal and Egypt if the West/USA would woo Nasser rather than try to dipose him. Perhaps the Helwan dam would be paid for in US$ instead of Rubles?
We might see the EAF flying F-86 Sabres instead of Mig-15's?

sideshowbob9

QuoteI used to live in Livorno....... it's the most left-wing city in Italy, so it would make sense for it to be in Communist territory.

Thanks! It's great to get anecdotes like this. It really helps flesh out a backstory. Livorno was chosen largely arbitrarily but now I have a reason for it.

Quotewith most of the Industry in the north....... I wonder how the Soviet industry would benefit from having access to one of the most industrialized areas in Europe...

Aha! This one was intentional.

Quotetheir major shipyards were in the North...... a major blow to the Italian Industries, to lose the North

I wanted the Soviets to get their hands on some decent shipyards and perhaps a significant proportion of the RM in this timeline. If the Sverdlovs caused a scare, this should really put the wind up NATO.

The Soviets getting their hands on the northern industrial complex, leaving the Allies to rebuild to the south really makes some scope for some interesting WHIFs. AM-42 engined G.55s anyone? A bomber fleet with the Piaggio P.108 as its base instead of the B-29? I'm planning on modelling a liscensed-built AMI Convair TF-102 vs. a Itali-Soviet Sukhoi PT-7 (Su-9 with an "interesting" radome) for later in this scenario.

Quoteyou have Steyr and ..... Essen, with Krupp's major works there

Steyr in Soviet hands? Interesting. I'm leaning toward more of a north/south rather than east/west divide for Germany so I'm open to suggestions on that front.

Quoteif the West/USA would woo Nasser rather than try to dipose him. Perhaps the Helwan dam would be paid for in US$ instead of Rubles? We might see the EAF flying F-86 Sabres instead of Mig-15's?

Good point. Hadn't thought of that possibility. Again, interesting.......

Sauragnmon

Oooo... the Soviets with an established shipyard with a more recent track record of all manner of warships in their hands... yeah That would be scary.

North/South Germany would indeed be interesting, but you have to consider where the line is first for your new Berlin Wall.  Likely you might find some of the southern German corporations in Soviet hands.  Areas like Nurnburg might well be in the Soviet hands, but as with OT, you've got the fact they have to rebuild it, as the Allies, to be frank, bombed it to all hell and back.  I question if the Allies might have much more of East Germany, if the Soviets managed to work at consolidating the south and north fronts as they would be.

It would be a drastically different Situation for the Allies, to be certain.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Arc3371

Looking at this partisan flag

This could be a communist marking

sideshowbob9

Thanks! That does look rather good. Definately has Whif potential  :thumbsup: