Skunkmodels Workshop

Started by Green Dragon, May 23, 2009, 06:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Checked the link for the 1/72 MQ-9 Reaper again, hoping to find out a release date, I found out that they intend to include TWO complete Reapers per kit!  :party:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ChernayaAkula

The MQ-9 Reaper is now available from LuckyModel. Got my kit just the other day. After flyboyf18 on ARC posted he thought they looked a bit on the wee side, I broke out the ruler as well. And it seems they're woefully under-scale, more 1/109 than 1/72.  :banghead:

I've calculated a length of 101 mm (with spinner, without pitot probe) and a wing span of 186 mm for the actual kit.
General Atomics (CLICK!) gives a length of 10973 mm and a wing span of 20117 mm. In 1/72, that should work out to a length of 152 mm and a wing span of 279 mm (as correctly printed on the box).

The GBU-12s and AGM-114 Hellfires also look rather small.
Kit: 30 mm (GBU-12), 17 mm (Hellfire)
Actual sizes: 3270 mm (GBU-12), 1630 mm (Hellfire), working out to a 1/72 scale length of 45 mm and 23 mm respectively.

It seems the Skunkmodels MQ-9 Reaper has a 1/109 length, 1/108 wingspan, 1/109 GBU-12s and 1/96 Hellfires.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Maverick

I always find it disappointing when kits with available, defined dimensions are produced sub-scale.  Thanks for the headsup Moritz.  Looks like we'll have to wait until Platz does one.

Regards.

Mav

Supertom

Looks like Skunkmodels had inadvertently scaled them down before sending them off to be molded.  They've issued apology on ARC and are recalling and retooling the kit, as well as offering folks who've already bought the kit the updated sprues:

QuoteDear all ARCers,

It just come to my attention that a serious of fault happens during the R&D department restructuring this year.

We decided to recall the SW-72003 item and we have started to the retool process and target to reship the 1/72 around 3 months time. For any customer already purchase the 1/72 MQ-9, they can ask for refund or treated as backorder. We will redo the tooling (accurate this time).

I check the existing tooling, someone mess up with 1/96 (divided by 1/48 x 50%). And we failed to check it, as everyone thinks this is an easy step for a CAD program.

We will try our best to recover the mistake we taken. For those customer already shipped the wrong kit, we will resend the plastic sprue once retooled. The decal is sized correctly.

At last, I am sorry that we failed to deliver an accurate model at the first place.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

ChernayaAkula

^ Thanks for posting that! :thumbsup: The complete thread can be found >>HERE<< on ARC.

I think it's great Skunkmodels has addressed the issue so quickly.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

GTX

Hey, now the kit you have will become a collectors item. ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

anthonyp

My thoughts too, Greg.  Also, SCALE-O-RAMA time withe the 1/96 ones  ;D

Ideas abound...
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Mossie

Yeah, keep hold of that one Moritz, the collectors will be itching to get it in a few years!

I'll echo others, good of Skunkmodels to come clean & correct the problem rather than just shrugging their shoulders.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Maverick

Good news that Skunkmodels are that quick to respond and so emphatically.  There'd be many out there who'd just say 'you get that' rather than a complete retool.

Regards,

Mav

ChernayaAkula

Just found this over on Flugzeugforum, where user -dako- posted it.

French Weapon Set I in 1/48 by Skunkmodel Workshop - CLICK

Said to include:
2 x AUF-2 DUAL-BOMB Pylon (for Mirage 2000 and Mirage F1)
4 x GBU-12
4 x ASSM
8 x MICA (Infra/Radar Guide)
2 x Export version Mirage 2000 Fuel Tank

Yay!   :party: Cool to see a dedicated French weapons set.

The pic has me wondering, though. The GBU-12s flanking the AASMs seem to have a GBU-22 guidance kit on the front, but tailfins like the GBU-12, whereas the tailfins on a GBU-22 (if they were meant to be those) should look more like the GBU-24's, with the fins off-set from the centre line.
And maybe it's the pic (or my eyes :lol:), but to my eyes, the AASM's fins look a tad short.

Cheers,
Moritz

GTX

You beat me to it.  I would still find the kit useful for the MICAs though.  Also a little surprised they didn't include at least 2 SCALP EG missiles.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

chrisonord

I really do hope they release that in 1/72nd scale, as I will have a few sets for sure.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Cool. That's such a gorgeous aeroplane.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?