G

Why doesn't the Avro Arrow get much whif attention?

Started by GINge!, May 25, 2009, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

I have built one whiffed arrow.

Part of the problem is that the one kit that is widely available is the Hobbycrap kit.  This is an extremely plain kit.  Because of the dimensions of the Arrow, there aren't that many things one can do with the Arrow other than paint it differently of give it different markings.  While I have added things to the fuselage, other things do occur to me: conformal tanks, change in location of landing gear, change of intakes, etc.

:thumbsup:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

kitnut617

Quote from: dragon on May 25, 2009, 10:30:20 PM

Part of the problem is that the one kit that is widely available is the Hobbycrap kit.  This is an extremely plain kit.  Because of the dimensions of the Arrow, there aren't that many things one can do with the Arrow other than paint it differently of give it different markings.  While I have added things to the fuselage, other things do occur to me: conformal tanks, change in location of landing gear, change of intakes, etc.

How do you like vacuforms Dragon?   I have about 40 Victoria Products Canada kits in 1/72 which are said to be about the best representation of the Arrow (alongside the Astra one,  http://www.avro-arrow.org/Arrow/models.html  )  Why do I have 40 you may ask, well a couple of years ago, someone here (Evan I think) posted that the moulds were for sale on eBay, I bid on it and won and when the boxes arrived there were a number of kits included ready for shipping.  I've just never got around to marketing them yet.  There's also the very good MasterCaster resin set (  http://www.mastercasters.co.uk/resources/MST72001_500.jpg  ) which I have a couple of, this is geared towards the Hobbycraft kit, but I'm going to test one on one of the VP kits.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

The thing that's always occured to me is to replace the weapon bay with a fuel tank and put four Sparrows on the fuselage corners, F-15-style. Maybe have fin pockets in the pack-tank for two more semi-conformal ones..... Give it a conventional canopy too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

B777LR

The Arrow is not as popular for whiff as the TSR, because...

1. There has always been a small, but steady supply of Arrow kits

2. There has always been a much too small and inconsistant supply of TSRs.

That meant that when Airfix announced their plans to do a limited run of TSRs, everybody went "OMG! Ive never been able to get a TSR before, so now i must go buy 50!"
Once all kits where bough up by the select few modelers who came before the ebay sellers (those whom charge about $1000 for a TSR), all the modelers with 50 each went "what do we do with all these TSRs?"...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 26, 2009, 05:32:31 AM
I have about 40 Victoria Products Canada kits in 1/72 which are said to be about the best representation of the Arrow (alongside the Astra one,  http://www.avro-arrow.org/Arrow/models.html  )  Why do I have 40 you may ask, well a couple of years ago, someone here (Evan I think) posted that the moulds were for sale on eBay, I bid on it and won and when the boxes arrived there were a number of kits included ready for shipping. 

Do you now?? That IS good news, I've always liked the Victoria stuff, but somehow missed out on the Arrow. As a matter of general interest how big ARE the moulds for something that size? I've always been amazed at the size of the moulds Densil Wade makes for his Welsh Models 1/144 scale airliners, they are HUGE compared to the actual moulding, but it's something to do with the way the material has to stretch as it's moulded apparently.

So when does the sales campaign start?  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2009, 11:59:35 AM
I have about 40 Victoria Products Canada kits in 1/72 which are said to be about the best representation of the Arrow (alongside the Astra one,  http://www.avro-arrow.org/Arrow/models.html  )  Why do I have 40 you may ask, well a couple of years ago, someone here (Evan I think) posted that the moulds were for sale on eBay, I bid on it and won and when the boxes arrived there were a number of kits included ready for shipping.

Do you now?? That IS good news, I've always liked the Victoria stuff, but somehow missed out on the Arrow. As a matter of general interest how big ARE the moulds for something that size? I've always been amazed at the size of the moulds Densil Wade makes for his Welsh Models 1/144 scale airliners, they are HUGE compared to the actual moulding, but it's something to do with the way the material has to stretch as it's moulded apparently.

So when does the sales campaign start?  :lol:

I guess it's just started Kit :lol:  I want to shift the ones I have so I'm going to sell them at $10.00 each plus postage (which is the killer I think).  There's no decals or u/c legs but you do get a clear canopy which is split in two as like the real thing. Also you get a comprehensive instruction sheet.

Here's some photos of the moulds

PR19_Kit

Robert,

Strewth, they ARE big! That's some slabs of resin you have there........

Count me in for two Arrows please, will they now be called Kitnut Arrows, instead of Victoria?  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2009, 12:20:21 PM
Robert,

Strewth, they ARE big! That's some slabs of resin you have there........

Count me in for two Arrows please, will they now be called Kitnut Arrows, instead of Victoria?  :lol:

They're bloody heavy too   :rolleyes:  I'm not sure if I will change the name, VP had a good name around the industry so it might be better if I left it as is with a note saying the kit is under new ownership. I'll get in touch with the old owner and see if he would go along with that first though.

--------PM inbound----------

Mossie

Just saw in SAMI that a Czech company called Mini Wing have released a resin 1/144 Avro Arrow, available from Nostalgic Plastic, although it'll set you back $42US.
http://www.nostalgicplastic.com/moreinfo.cfm?FROM=Scale&KIT=3225
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

Okay, just got a communique from Alvis, he sent me the motherlode of his Arrow builds. Take a look here!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

dragon

How do you like vacuforms Dragon?   I have about 40 Victoria Products Canada kits in 1/72 which are said to be about the best representation of the Arrow (alongside the Astra one,  http://www.avro-arrow.org/Arrow/models.html  )  Why do I have 40 you may ask, well a couple of years ago, someone here (Evan I think) posted that the moulds were for sale on eBay, I bid on it and won and when the boxes arrived there were a number of kits included ready for shipping.  I've just never got around to marketing them yet.  There's also the very good MasterCaster resin set (  http://www.mastercasters.co.uk/resources/MST72001_500.jpg  ) which I have a couple of, this is geared towards the Hobbycraft kit, but I'm going to test one on one of the VP kits.

Actually vacuforms scare the willies out of me.   :blink:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

B777LR

I've got one of Kitnuts Arrows, in progress. Can't say it is an easy build, but then again, it is my very first vacform :thumbsup: It does look nice though :wub:

Sauragnmon

I did an Arrow back just after christmas, Sovietized, as the MiG-105 "Arrowski" - rather off the shelf, though I modified the fuselage in order to open the weapons bay and have one AA-10 on the rack.

I've got another Three Arrow-related builds on the drawing board, including two half-furnished - The Phantarrow, crossbred with a Phantom, and the Shenyang Aircraft Corp J-10 Interceptor, where the wings will be merged to an Old Revell Foxhound - I was annoyed when I found I got shipped the old instead of the new, before I realized the SAC J-10 only Vaguely resembled a full delta foxhound, convenient when the Old Revell only Vaguely resembles a Foxhound to begin with!  The third project is much more Arrow, an Arrow Mk2, which will feature redesigned engine mountings, slightly widened nose to accomodate an AWG-9 set, and Phoenixes in the bay.  Ostensibly, I might put Sidewinders on additionally.  I've got two Arrows on order to my LMS - shouldn't be TOO hard to get those in, as he uses Hobbycrap as his distributor, unlike trying to get the Chengdu J-10's I want or the Revell Typhoon.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Stargazer

What if... the unallocated "F-109" designation had been allocated to a cancelled program?

And what if that program was an Americanized version of the ill-fated Canadian Avro CF-105 Arrow?

Here's my take on this idea, adapted from a photograph of the replica taken by Simon Blakeley and found on Airliners.net.