G

Why doesn't the Avro Arrow get much whif attention?

Started by GINge!, May 25, 2009, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on September 27, 2009, 07:19:48 PMA first batch of 25 Canadian Avro YF-109A Arrow aircraft was cancelled shortly after the prototype was flown

Actually, no. The USAF procured over 500 of them, many still serving in front-line squadrons until the introduction of the Arrow 2000, which had been delayed due to various unduly restrictive arms treaties.

;D ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Hahaha...good one, Rat !

Love the pic and the idea, Stargazer...but it would have been hard for a US manufacturer to improve on perfection....I guess we can say they built them OOB ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Stargazer

Thanks for the comments! Glad you enjoyed it. One of my next pet projects will be a CL-41 Tutor in US... and French guise...

Fulcrum

If the Arrow served the air forces well through the 60's, 70's & 80's, one could wonder what design would the Avro company thought of to supplant the Arrow through the 90's & beyond(one idea would have been a fighter similar to other 4th generation types like the F-16 & the F-18).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Stargazer

If Avro had had their way, we'd all have flying saucer squadrons right now... LOL   :rolleyes: :lol: (not that I would mind)

apophenia

Quote from: Fulcrum on September 28, 2009, 01:05:26 AM...what design would the Avro company thought of to supplant the Arrow through the 90's & beyond...

Malton probably assumed that their Arrow Mk.3 would still be flying for the USAF.

Fulcrum

Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Gary

You would have to assume that Avro would have worked on the more organic shapes like the F-16 however if it were a truly Canadian first product, range and reliability would have been paramount in the design process. Likely something akin to the Su-27 family.
A pure interceptor would be out of the question so the wing would have some depth, likely a crew of two just because the fatigue issues of long flights and the overload issues.
The flying saucer idea may have already worked itself out by then but perhaps something more in line with the organic diamond shapes of the Aurora hypersonic what if drawings that have floated around for years. Why be limited to simply jet engines when scramjets and the like were all the rage in Popular Science at the time.
Getting back into modeling

Captain Canada

Still got that fascination with Flankers, eh gary !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

It doesn't get much attention because I've not faced up to my responsibilities and built them.    :blink: :blink:   

(But there is both a 1/72 and a new-tool 1/48 kit in the stash for that purpose).

Daryl J., owning up. 

Captain Canada

Yup...time to get on with it, Daryl !

I have to admit I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I've got 2 of the three resin sets for the 48th scale bird, but I need the third set before I start chopping up the lovely kit Baz sent me a few years back.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

there is something breast like in the Flanker's nose cone that just... well, need I say more.

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 30, 2009, 06:11:39 PM
Still got that fascination with Flankers, eh gary !

Getting back into modeling

Fulcrum

That would be a good what-if senario if when production of the Arrow Mk.3 ended, the Avro plant in Malton would then start producing home-made Su-30MKC's
(I had a good idea of the Su-30s in Canadian service designated the CF-201 Voodoo 2).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Stargazer

Quote from: Fulcrum on October 02, 2009, 12:27:04 AM
That would be a good what-if senario if when production of the Arrow Mk.3 ended, the Avro plant in Malton would then start producing home-made Su-30MKC's
(I had a good idea of the Su-30s in Canadian service designated the CF-201 Voodoo 2).
Me wants to see!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wub:

Fulcrum

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on October 02, 2009, 01:02:09 AM
Quote from: Fulcrum on October 02, 2009, 12:27:04 AM
Me wants to see!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wub:
Unfortunatly, it is just an idea :banghead:(hopefully someone could either post profiles or any build pictures if they are inspired)
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler