Canardberra

Started by SimonR, May 27, 2009, 01:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonR

So I thought I'd pick up just where I left off with a 1/48 Canberra kitbash. That kit is a typical Airfix turd and the resulting model will be too big to comfortably work on or store but lets go for it.

Two options....

1. A simple what if Dick Rutan had an intern position at English Electric.

2. A much more ambitious F-15E/Cranberry kitbash. This would be a ridiculous amount of work so I hope nobody likes it.

What say you, gentlemen?
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Weaver

OR you could go down the tandem-wing, long pods route:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Or the tandem wing long pod biplane version.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

The Rat

Quote from: SimonR on May 27, 2009, 01:56:52 PM2. A much more ambitious F-15E/Cranberry kitbash. This would be a ridiculous amount of work so I hope nobody likes it.

I don't like it, I LOVE IT!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ChernayaAkula

I'm afraid I must say I rather like the "ambitious" version as well! :wub: :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kitnut617

Quote from: SimonR on May 27, 2009, 01:56:52 PM

1. A simple what if Dick Rutan had an intern position at English Electric.

I like this one, but not necessarily done by Dick Rutan, George Miles was a mean hand at this type of design (Libellula fame)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Aussie747

I like option one in keeping with the time frame the Canberra was developed, no F-15 designs around then to steal IP from :D
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

Cobra

The First Design looks Super Cool & Right for when Canberra was Built!!!!!!! go For It!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

B777LR

How about the Zwilling?

TsrJoe

i like the first design illustrated, looks like somat that might have been sketched at EE. at the time (Petter did sketches of a number of 'Canberra' designs eg. swept wings, buried engines, flying boat, etc)

cool, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mossie

Yeah, number two is great from a crazy mad point of view, but number one looks 'right'.  It's not unlike the Avro 721 design to OR.324, maybe this could be EE's submission? 
Also from Avro, was the 729 which looks distinctly Canberra-ish, there's a tiny pic on the Secret Projects forums

***cleaned up the html***
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Burt Rutan is the one known for canard designs, however he did not originate the concept, it goes back to the earliest days of flight.

Dick Rutan is his brother and the one who flew 'round the world with Jenna Yeager. On Dick Rutan's website he makes no mention of
Jenna's involvement, it reads as if the flight was a solo triumph for Dick Rutan, what a putz.  >:(

The canard concept is interesting.

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 27, 2009, 06:58:46 PM

I like this one, but not necessarily done by Dick Rutan, George Miles was a mean hand at this type of design (Libellula fame)

Now that's a dman fine idea - the Miles Canberra... :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Another quickie take on a canard Canberra layout.

Jon

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 28, 2009, 10:24:32 AM
Another quickie take on a canard Canberra layout.

Jon

That looks really professional Jon   :thumbsup:  If I can make a suggestion, what if the inner wing were as the PR.9, extended forward, then the main u/c could go in front of the spar instead of behind, that would work better with the cg I think.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike