Started by Dork the kit slayer, December 21, 2007, 06:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dork the kit slayer

Fairy Power Spray....about £3 from your local supermarket
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

lancer

QuoteFairy Power Spray....about £3 from your local supermarket
Got some the other day, wil be trying it out on a really buggered up Harrier FA2.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Tried this the other day on a F11F Tiger, I had a small amount of Tamiya acrylic on it.  Got a shock when the paint seperated into gobs & stuck in raised lumps: :o

Not sure why it happened, possibly because the paint had only been on a few days.  At first it resisted attempts to remove the blobs, more Power Spray didn't work, neither did a tooth brush.  I tried one of those green kitchen scourers, it didn't remove the blobs entirely but it did reduce them enough to allow a primer coat to be sprayed.  If this happens when you use it, it is curable without sanding the whole lot down & losing surface detail. :blink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

van883

...whereas CIF oven cleaner doesn't seem to work at all-I can't seem to get fairy powerspray in Nottingham  :banghead:

Van

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Mossie on January 25, 2008, 01:36:37 PM
Tried this the other day on a F11F Tiger, I had a small amount of Tamiya acrylic on it.  Got a shock when the paint seperated into gobs & stuck in raised lumps: :o

Not sure why it happened, possibly because the paint had only been on a few days.  At first it resisted attempts to remove the blobs, more Power Spray didn't work, neither did a tooth brush.  I tried one of those green kitchen scourers, it didn't remove the blobs entirely but it did reduce them enough to allow a primer coat to be sprayed.  If this happens when you use it, it is curable without sanding the whole lot down & losing surface detail. :blink:

Mossie old mate,cant even think why that happened. Ive just done a Skyhawk that I messed up the tail codes on. Fresh paint and varnish, like yours and it came back to bare plastic,with no problem.

lancer

Quote from: van883 on January 31, 2008, 10:47:43 AM
...whereas CIF oven cleaner doesn't seem to work at all-I can't seem to get fairy powerspray in Nottingham  :banghead:

Van

Van,
Try Morrisons. They stock it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on February 03, 2008, 07:46:53 AM

Mossie old mate,cant even think why that happened. Ive just done a Skyhawk that I messed up the tail codes on. Fresh paint and varnish, like yours and it came back to bare plastic,with no problem.

Thanks Dork.  I'm at a complete loss to why it happened. :unsure:  The only other things I can think of are dodgy paint or dodgy Power Spray.  I'll try it on a wing I use for testing paints & stuff, see if it's okay with that.  I take it there's no technique involved, just spray it on, scrub ligthly & rinse it off?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

van883

QuoteVan,
Try Morrisons. They stock it.

thanks

Van

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Mossie on February 03, 2008, 09:15:04 AM
Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on February 03, 2008, 07:46:53 AM

I take it there's no technique involved, just spray it on, scrub ligthly & rinse it off?

I use either a plastic bag or tupperware container,give it an all over squirt and leave it for about an hour or longer.
Im told you can spray and scrub,but Im stuck in my ways (from the mr muscle days).

PS use gloves this stuff dries out your hands to "cracking"point

thedarkmaster

thanks for the power spray tip.

i got a couple of ready made kits off ebay for less than £1 between them, they had the most horrible paint job you will ever see but it managed to shift it with no problem.

the only down side with it is my wife has seen it, and tried it, and now I`ll never get to use it again, it`s hers and she loves it ( more than me )

so thanks lads  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

van883

Fairy don't seem to market Power Spray very well (in Nottingham at least)-none in Sainsburys, Tesco, Somerfield , Wilkinsons or a Waitrose I went in to recently. Morrisons is a bit of a trek just for one product. Does anything else work as well as Power Spray?

cheers

Van

Hobbes

Other oven cleaners work. I've used Muscle oven cleaner, which removed decades-old Revell paints fairly well. From Wooksta's post at the start of the thread, the Fairy stuff will leave the primer coat alone (?), other oven cleaners may nuke the primer instead.

thedarkmaster

try asda for the power sprey, they always seem to have it. though we do shop on line.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

phoenix54

Hi Van,
know you said you've tried Wilko's but did you go to the right section?
Tends to be in 'household' you know, the area the 'other half' goes in!
WARNING:
DON'T let the little woman get her mitts on it, if you do you've lost it!!

:cheers:
Paul
Quote...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded

For my lifes love, Angie Connor
10/02/1961 - 11/11/2002
I'll never forget

van883

...yes I did look in the household section...!

van