F-104AU(G) Starweasel

Started by david sMiGielski, May 30, 2009, 12:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david sMiGielski

The US wasn't the only country to learn SEAD lessons from the Vietnam war. In the late-1970s and early-1980s, the RAAF conducted a series of experiments aimed at evaluating various SEAD tactics. Although the F-104--the mainstay fighter of the RAAF since the late-1960s--wasn't particularly well suited to low-level strike missions, the RAAF modified a handful of airframes with weapons and ECM suites as a proof of concept. This series of tests--known as Kangaroo Sun--helped prepare RAAF flight crews for the arrival in the mid-1980s of the RAAF's F-16s, which have since been used in numerous SEAD missions. 

This F-104AU(G), affectionately dubbed the "Starweasel" by its aircrews, wears one of the many garish splinter schemes used during the Kangaroo Sun tests. This specific airframe wore this scheme in the spring of 1982, during Kangaroo Sun-3.

Build details: Hasegawa's 1/48 F-104G kit, with a modified cockpit (resin seats from an F-4 and a rear instrument panel with photoetched radar screens). Painted with Tamiya colors, masked with very thin strips of masking tape (from jammydog.com), decals provided by Richard at Gekko Graphics, whose profile inspired the scheme.

How did the country lose its way...when did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?

ChernayaAkula

:wub: Very pretty!  :bow: Absolutely gorgeous!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

That is a spectacular paint job. :bow:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

tigercat2

dy031101

Being a Starfighter fan, I'm absolutely in love with this one!  :cheers:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Cobra

Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: that Paint Job had to be an RPIA to get Right!!!!!! Keep up the Great Work!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Aussie747

Wow!  Very nice scheme, you've done a great job  :thumbsup:

:drink:
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T

sideshowbob9

Glenn Gilbertson

Ian the Kiwi Herder

(Adopts Peter Griffin voice) "Fr*akin' Sweet"

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

JayBee

We are suitably impressed! Yo Dude!!!!!!!
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Keith Diamond

David, I've always been a fan of your builds :bow:
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Brian da Basher

Well done, Dave! The splinter camo is a perfect compliment to the Kiwi Aussie markings!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<