I'm going to keep my eye on THIS build!
Allan in Canberra

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: imatt88 on May 30, 2009, 08:27:38 PM
How about jet engines :wacko:

Have thought about doing just that on a regular Ki-46 maybe even quads  :wacko:

http://www.kitreview.com/kitreviews/images/ar234creviewbg_1.jpg

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 30, 2009, 09:16:38 PM
Going the taildragger route would save you the trouble of fitting the P-38's front landing gear well in there. On the other hand, you'd have to add a tailwheel.  :banghead: Maybe like on the Fw 189 Uhu observation plane?  :wacko:

The Dora used the annular cowling only because they managed to fit a circular cooler into the front. Then you'd have to ditch the oil coolers in the tailbooms and install some in the cowling fronts to warrant using an in-line engine in a radial cowling.
Just keep the radials and rework the oil coolers into supercharger intakes (like the big intake on the Dora's cowling).  :thumbsup:

Schräge Musik would be cool (night fighter with hinomarus! :wub: ), although this might well look the part as a high-speed, high-altitude
reconnaissance plane.

I instantly thought of the 189 because it has that smooth sideward-folding tail wheel between the booms, i think its the only way to go if i choose that route. Well explained on the Dora too, thanks man. I will cover the rear of the radiators and blend them into the booms. im going to cover the rear window on this version and make it a single seat. LanceB on ARC said if it was a two seater it might be worth having but odds are a single seat would have an obstruction somewhere in that big pod (im thinking a big fuel tank behind the pilot) so im going to cover it on this version.  Lance also suggested a possible Rear turret :wacko: :thumbsup:) This thing has a ton of potential though:

Single seat fighter: Kind of described above
Night Fighter: room for two and a Schrazzmusik cannon
Reconnaissance: just clean with no guns
Fleet defender: folding wings, and a tail hook maybe even a Radar Intercept Officer (could work if Japan had carriers at that point)
Float plane: just add floats
Torpedo bomber: One torpedo under each boom aft of the prop, landing gear that folds sideways into the wings (like a Spitfire or 109)

Also, I figured as long as i had that Dinah Front chopped up i should try it on the He-219 i have handy and it fits so well you might think it was built with that option! Gonna need more Dinahs... Thanks for all the kind words and very helpful suggestions everyone! will post updates  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ed S

Great idea and the parts look like they're going together well.  I'm looking forward to more of this one.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

I made this out of a Revell 1/32 P-38J about a year ago, its not my best work. I moved the cockpit and canopy up and used those plastic Easter eggs for the Nacelles and after tons of sanding and filling and a long time in progress i was in the "just get it done phase" , but its was my first experience with the P-38 Dinah combo Inspired by the Ki-46-III KAI:

I think im going to do the fins a little differently on this one and will include the little wings outside the fins as well

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.