Fork Tailed Dinah

Started by Taiidantomcat, May 30, 2009, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Had this idea for a while, been mocking it up this afternoon...

1/48 Tamiya Ki-46 and Revellogram P-38J. Appreciate any comments (positive or negative) Thanks folks!!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

JayBee

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on May 30, 2009, 01:15:58 PM
Had this idea for a while, been mocking it up this afternoon...

1/48 Tamiya Ki-46 and Revellogram P-38J. Appreciate any comments (positive or negative) Thanks folks!!

I like this , big time!
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

pyro-manic

Iiiiiiinteresting! This will be a rather unique machine, I think. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Green Dragon

Like this one helluva lot! I'd probably nick the idea if I had the guts to cut up a Tamiya Dinah!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Cobra

Great Job :thumbsup:  Sure you Weren't Playing "Heroes of the Pacific"?????? this looks like something You'd see in that Game!!!!! Can't wait to see more! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

jcf

Very cool, a concept with much potential. Are you going to remove the radiator housings from the booms?

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Green Dragon on May 30, 2009, 02:25:23 PM
Like this one helluva lot! I'd probably nick the idea if I had the guts to cut up a Tamiya Dinah!

Paul Harrison

LOL I know! I just decided it was time to do it and quit thinking about it, i spent about an hour trying to make sure I cut just the right places.  :drink:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 30, 2009, 02:32:52 PM
Very cool, a concept with much potential. Are you going to remove the radiator housings from the booms?

I'm thinking about keeping them there... I know they are for inlines and these are Radials but i really like the way they look! Could i say they are
something else??

Thanks for the comments so far everyone  :thumbsup:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Cobra

The Japanese did Experiment with Power Booster for their Radials! You could say they were "Power Boosters"! that Help? stay Cool!!!!!!! :ph34r: :cheers:

ChernayaAkula

Pure genius! :bow: This is gonna look very good! :wub:

Will you retain the tricycle landing gear layout or are you gonna go for a taildragger?  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Howedar

There's no legit reason to keep them, I'm afraid. You might be able to get away with one on each side as an intercooler, but even then they ought to be cut down.

Maverick

Looks like a wicked little conversion Ben.  Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Regards,

Mav

Daryl J.

Oh do press on with this!!!!

Daryl J., rather impressed

Taiidantomcat

Thanks Everyone. :cheers:

Moritz, I think i will keep the conventional (for a P-38 that is) tricycle layout but i was balancing it back and forth trying to decide that... not set in stone yet.

Some of the folks on ARC suggested just removing the inside Radiators and calling the outside "Oil Coolers" pretty clever compromise. Also suggested moving the engines a little closer to the wings leading edge which makes sense most radial engined twin fighters had them that way which was something i hadn't thought of. Think i could go with inline engines but with an annular cowling like the FW-190Dora?

I planned on just using the P-38 clear parts to match it to the fuselage and paint over them to save time on scratch building, but as they fit pretty darn well and improve rearward visibility... should i just leave them clear? Also thinking of painting over it and putting a Schrazzmusik Cannon aft of the canopy (i know there were Dinah Variants that had that)

Thank you all so much for the feedback im going to start working on the interior and cutting out the Ki-46-like fins tomorrow.

imatt88

How about jet engines :wacko:

:cheers:   Ian

ChernayaAkula

Going the taildragger route would save you the trouble of fitting the P-38's front landing gear well in there. On the other hand, you'd have to add a tailwheel.  :banghead: Maybe like on the Fw 189 Uhu observation plane?  :wacko:

The Dora used the annular cowling only because they managed to fit a circular cooler into the front. Then you'd have to ditch the oil coolers in the tailbooms and install some in the cowling fronts to warrant using an in-line engine in a radial cowling.
Just keep the radials and rework the oil coolers into supercharger intakes (like the big intake on the Dora's cowling).  :thumbsup:

Schräge Musik would be cool (night fighter with hinomarus! :wub: ), although this might well look the part as a high-speed, high-altitude reconnaissance plane.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?