Push Me/Pull me in a Trimotor GB?

Started by Brian da Basher, June 05, 2009, 02:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Indeed - in the tri-motor's heyday ambition exceeded capability, so a designer calculated how much power he needed, looked at the power of the available engines, divided the former by the latter, and if the result came out between 2 and 3, then a tri-motor was the way to go. These days, capability FAR outstrips ambition, so there is almost always an engine option that will do the job with one or two engines, which are, as has been correctly pointed out, cheaper and easier to maintain.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DaFROG

PW anmd I were discussing this very GB recently.
We came to the conclusion that I should built a tri-motor, that is a motor made by combining three motors. obviously this is relatively easy to do and may even have been done with radials (there's plenty of two rows out there). However we decided that the best bet would be to do a rotary (not the kind found in mazda's they are even easied to stick together, neglecting the whatever it's called that passes for a crankshaft). Obviously three rotaries stuck together would have massive gyro effect so one of the "rows" of the rotary would be counter rotating.... actually hold that thought the middle row of this demonic device would be stationary with the crank rotating then the two end rows would rotate even more round the crank and be fitted with propellers then three such engines would be fitted to an aircraft with 3 wings 3 tail booms (and probably flight engineers in a large multiple of 3 say 9 or 27)

signed DaFROG, fancier of bizzare and impracticle engines, the more bizzare and impracticle the better

B777LR

Quote from: DaFROG on June 09, 2009, 07:57:10 PM
PW anmd I were discussing this very GB recently.
We came to the conclusion that I should built a tri-motor, that is a motor made by combining three motors. obviously this is relatively easy to do and may even have been done with radials (there's plenty of two rows out there). However we decided that the best bet would be to do a rotary (not the kind found in mazda's they are even easied to stick together, neglecting the whatever it's called that passes for a crankshaft). Obviously three rotaries stuck together would have massive gyro effect so one of the "rows" of the rotary would be counter rotating.... actually hold that thought the middle row of this demonic device would be stationary with the crank rotating then the two end rows would rotate even more round the crank and be fitted with propellers then three such engines would be fitted to an aircraft with 3 wings 3 tail booms (and probably flight engineers in a large multiple of 3 say 9 or 27)

signed DaFROG, fancier of bizzare and impracticle engines, the more bizzare and impracticle the better

I actually thought of combining 3 engines to drive 1 prop too, He-177 style 8)

NARSES2

How about combining this with my Push me/pull me : Mixed power proposal ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

B777LR

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2009, 02:44:42 AM

I don't really see any parallels between 3 engines and mixed power. Would be sad if someone could not do a P-38 with 1 jet and 1 rocket :thumbsup: Good idea though :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

So, could this include a fan powered 727 built up as a contemporary to the Nimrod?

NARSES2

Quote from: B787 on June 10, 2009, 07:51:57 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2009, 02:44:42 AM

I don't really see any parallels between 3 engines and mixed power. Would be sad if someone could not do a P-38 with 1 jet and 1 rocket :thumbsup: Good idea though :thumbsup:

No parallel as such Thomas but but perhaps both are "slightly odd" configuarations in that they have not been used a huge amount over the years when compared to the more normal configurations. Also cuts down on the number of GB's
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 10, 2009, 03:05:31 PM
So, could this include a fan powered 727 built up as a contemporary to the Nimrod?

Why not

Mossie

Maybe a 'slighty odd propulsion' (can't think of a bette name!) GB?  Anything over than a conventional prop, jet or helicopter, even ships, armour or civvy vehicles?  Push/pull, tri-motor (in fact, odd numbers over 1), mixed powerplant, ducted fans, compund rotorcraft?  Modern ships with steam paddles, hover tanks, road cars with tracks etc, etc, etc?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

puddingwrestler

I see no reason why not - various experiments where performed with walking cars, trucks and tractors. And then there are all the steam planes out there...

How about trimotor Ekranoplans? Or asytmmetric trimotors - one wing with all three engines mounted on it!

Also, I know of a number of cars with two motors - anyone ever build a three engine hotrod?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: puddingwrestler on June 11, 2009, 03:45:28 PM
Also, I know of a number of cars with two motors - anyone ever build a three engine hotrod?

Didn't someone do a '23 T with three V8s, small block Chevys perhaps, arranged like a modern Audi W10 back in the 60s once? I recall a pic in Hot Rod Magazine of a head-on view where you could see all three blower intakes arranged at 60 deg to each other. Goodness knows how they hooked up the conrods as it was all on the same crankshaft.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DaFROG

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2009, 06:30:49 PM
Quote from: puddingwrestler on June 11, 2009, 03:45:28 PM

Didn't someone do a '23 T with three V8s, small block Chevys perhaps, arranged like a modern Audi W10 back in the 60s once? I recall a pic in Hot Rod Magazine of a head-on view where you could see all three blower intakes arranged at 60 deg to each other. Goodness knows how they hooked up the conrods as it was all on the same crankshaft.

More likely they just had 3 blowers feeding a common manifold and one engine I've seen it done with 2 blowers http://www.carpoint.com.au/carcontent/streetmachine/hadfield/tcoupe3b.jpg (the same guy also thought the ideal powerplant for a '55 chev coupe was a merlin.........)

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on June 11, 2009, 02:41:05 PM
Maybe a 'slighty odd propulsion' (can't think of a bette name!) GB?  Anything over than a conventional prop, jet or helicopter, even ships, armour or civvy vehicles?  Push/pull, tri-motor (in fact, odd numbers over 1), mixed powerplant, ducted fans, compund rotorcraft?  Modern ships with steam paddles, hover tanks, road cars with tracks etc, etc, etc?

Definately the type of thing Simon - "The Weird and Wonderfully Powered" GB ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DaFROG on June 11, 2009, 07:28:56 PM
More likely they just had 3 blowers feeding a common manifold and one engine I've seen it done with 2 blowers http://www.carpoint.com.au/carcontent/streetmachine/hadfield/tcoupe3b.jpg (the same guy also thought the ideal powerplant for a '55 chev coupe was a merlin.........)

Nope, not the case with what I'm remembering. The car definitely had three sets of cylinder heads splayed at wide angles, and they mentioned in the caption that they used three separate engines to make the assembly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 12, 2009, 02:13:03 AM
Quote from: DaFROG on June 11, 2009, 07:28:56 PM

Nope, not the case with what I'm remembering. The car definitely had three sets of cylinder heads splayed at wide angles, and they mentioned in the caption that they used three separate engines to make the assembly.

Watching some of the 'tractor pulls' on the TV over here and you'll see that arrangement is quite common Kit, seen four V-8's on some too.

Mind you this one is a bit extreme:  Oops!!! sorry about the link
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vanalphenbladel.nl/Popeye/historie06-/Emmeloord_45_b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vanalphenbladel.nl/Popeye/historie06-/historie06-%2520e.htm&usg=__HgHpxUqP5HdM96y3xLvyaEI6_68=&h=561&w=799&sz=116&hl=en&start=76&um=1&tbnid=e1rX6spcBVJivM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtractor%2Bpulls%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D63%26um%3D1
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike