Push Me/Pull me in a Trimotor GB?

Started by Brian da Basher, June 05, 2009, 02:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Multiple cylinder banks on a common crankcase is an old, and generally fairly reliable, way of creating a
more powerful engine.

The Napier Lion series was a three-bank W-12 engine, usually referred to as having a 'broad-arrow' layout:

Harry Miller built the W-124 race boat engines using Liberty engine components:

Harry Miller, along with Leo Goosen, designed and built some of the coolest pieces of engineering sculpture
ever derived, he's a great place to look for engine inspiration.

The most famous 'ground-pounder' type is probably the Chrysler A57 multi-bank, five straight-six engines on a common case:

Jon

Doc Yo

I could get behind it...I've got plans for a tri-motor Italian fighter, and the general concept has a great deal
of appeal.

PR19_Kit

Robert,

Jeepers, that top one looks like three ALLISONS mated together. Serious horsepower there!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

Not long after the kits were first pressed, there was a huge sale on the Trumpeter SM-79 so I picked it up with the intent of making some sort of custom machine that would have been fitting in a sequel to Porco Rosso.     

Daryl J., who'd forgotten about having that kit.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2009, 02:44:42 AM
How about combining this with my Push me/pull me : Mixed power proposal ?

That's a capital idea!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Weaver

The Fokker F.32 shared similar construction to the Fokker triplanes, but was powered by two push-pull pairs of Hornets located where the trimotor's side engines were, so what you could do, if you were perverse enough is start from a Ford Trimotor, remove the nose engine (thereby disqualifying it for one part of this GB) and fit two push-pull engines on either side, thereby re-qualifying for the other part of the GB..... :wacko:

Alternatively, you could go all Tophe on it and do an asymeteric design with one conventional fuselage with a nose engine and one push-pull pair, the result thereby qualifying as a trimotor AND a push-pull..... The Dornier, Blohm-und-Voss DoBV-something-or-other :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Right after comunication with Brian we have merged this topic with my Push Me/Pull Me build with the object of having put up at the next voting session as one GB

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 14, 2009, 02:30:54 AM
Right after comunication with Brian we have merged this topic with my Push Me/Pull Me build with the object of having put up at the next voting session as one GB

Chris

I've changed the proposed title to "Push Me/Pull Me in a Trimotor and here's some ideas on the ground rules, but suggestions are welcome.

1. Entry must either have three engines, engines in a pusher/puller configuration or the base kit must be a trimotor or aircraft in pusher/puller configuration.

2. Entries may be piston-engined, turbo-prop, jets, rockets or any combination there of.

3. Any entry posessing all of the above get five bonus votes. Example: if your entry's base kit is a W.W. I Caproni bomber (one pusher/two puller engines) that you re-engine with jets, then you get five bonus votes.

4. Winner to be determined by vote of the membership.

5. Decisions of the GB moderator(s) are final.

6. There is no rule #6.

7. Have fun!

I feel like I missed something, so your ideas and suggestions are welcome. If we get 10 or 15 interested participants, we'll ask to add it to the next GB poll.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Weaver

Random idea: how about sticking a couple of Wellington wings on a Matchbox Wellesley? The former's wings are only approx 5ft longer than the latter's. Ideally, you'd want a longer-chord cowling for the central Pegasus too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

After getting some suggestions from Narses, here;s an ammended version of the proposed rules:

The build can be of any model (you could get AFV's, Sci Fi and even ships I suppose) as long as it fits into one of the following critera :

1. Has a push/pull engine configuration

2. Has a combination of different types of propulsion unit, (mixed power) -piston/turbine power configuration, petrol/steam, petrol/sail, sail/solar ? etc, etc.

3. Has an uneven number of power/motive units - Trimotor, Quinmotor etc (and if you want to build a steam/solar powered quinquireme then go for it)

4. Winner to be determined by vote of the membership.

5. Decisions of the GB moderator(s) are final.

6. There is no rule #6.

7. Have fun!

Suggestions and ideas on the rules are welcome!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

Another randon idea: take the wings and engines off a Dragon Rapide and put them on a Tiger Moth. Back story is that it's a glider tug for flying clubs...

As for the Dragon Rapide fuselage: autogyro taxi in 1930s "visions of the future" stylee...

- Indiana Jones

kitnut617

If this GB gets going I might join in, I've been thinking about a project to do, a P/F-61E with turbo-props pulling and a jet in the tail pushing (Vampire style).

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Random thought: how about a three-engined B-26 Maruader? The circular-section fuselage makes it a natural for another big radial.....

- Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

I have a kit ready to go for this one...

maybe even more than one kit, actually.
;)
Brian da Basher