Main Menu

The Pistonator GB

Started by Weaver, June 05, 2009, 04:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Don't forget to consider the buried engine with shaft-driven prop(s) alternative for those jet to piston conversions.

Jet fighters and the like have a lot of internal volume.

Jon

Brian da Basher

Your post makes me think, Mr Carffarrelly...how about opening this GB up to re-enging jet planes with piston engines too?
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Weaver

Quote from: Brian da Basher on June 06, 2009, 12:38:29 PM
Your post makes me think, Mr Carffarrelly...how about opening this GB up to re-enging jet planes with piston engines too?
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Umm, can't, 'cos it already is:

Quote from: Weaver
Take any turboprop/turbojet/turbofan-powered flying machine and "backdate" it to the heyday of piston engines.

;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

How about a SR-71 with Pratt & Whitney R-4360s? :wacko:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on June 07, 2009, 03:40:09 AM

Regards,

Greg

Think it would probably need 4 x R-8720s....... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on June 07, 2009, 04:50:38 AM
Quote from: GTX on June 07, 2009, 03:40:09 AM

Regards,

Greg

Think it would probably need 4 x R-8720s....... :wacko:

Or maybe eight? Quad engine pods with an engine either end?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Well are we doing this are we? can we? please please please.
I have dug out my dead IL-28, a Short Sunderland gun turret, some radial engines from an S-2 tracker, I was going to use a pair of Merlins, but the radials look good (easier to fit  ;D) and I am going to put a pair of sunderland props on it. Also I have some rockets that came from a skyraider, I am going to hang 8 of those on the wings, and maybe the mother of all torpedo's underneath it.
Chris.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Daryl J.

What about a train locomotive that uses traditional internal combustion engines to drive the wheels rather than steam.   Fuel could be diesel, gasoline, or ethanol/water in banks of inline 6 cylinder engines mounted transversely.   One engine per set of driving wheels.   

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 09, 2009, 04:06:04 PM
What about a train locomotive that uses traditional internal combustion engines to drive the wheels rather than steam.   Fuel could be diesel, gasoline, or ethanol/water in banks of inline 6 cylinder engines mounted transversely.   One engine per set of driving wheels.   

Technically speaking diesel locomotives use internal combustion engines to drive the wheels. ;)

However, I realize you are speaking of direct mechanical drive and it is used on small engines (shunters and the like) and has been experimented with on larger machines. Also diesel-hydraulic drive systems have been used.

The Wiki on the subject of diesel locomotives is a good starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_locomotive

Jon

PR19_Kit

Daryl is suggesting the engines are mounted sideways in the locomotive frames, with each engine driving its own set of driving wheels. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been tried in the railway (railroad.....) field so far.

Mind you, it would make for a pretty wide loco body, and a humunguous gear train down to the axles.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2009, 01:58:01 AM
Daryl is suggesting the engines are mounted sideways in the locomotive frames, with each engine driving its own set of driving wheels. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been tried in the railway (railroad.....) field so far.

Mind you, it would make for a pretty wide loco body, and a humunguous gear train down to the axles.
And where would you put the bombs/rockets/missiles/guns/torpedos on it. :blink:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Daryl J.

QuoteAnd where would you put the bombs/rockets/missiles/guns/torpedos on it.

Have you seen pictures of some of those old Soviet Ekranoplans?   :wub: :wub: :wub:

Regarding the locomotive engines, with a transverse mount, the idea is to avoid changing the rotational directions as much as possible.   And make the bore as narrow as possible, stroke as long as possible, and try avoid an engine length issue in order to use current guage rails.   

Back to the WIG, 'WW-1 ing' a Lun might be cool.

Daryl J.

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on June 10, 2009, 07:33:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2009, 01:58:01 AM

And where would you put the bombs/rockets/missiles/guns/torpedos on it. :blink:

Wherever the gunsight pipper falls, presumably...... :wacko:

Weaver
Not popular in the rail-oriented LHS for describing trains as "linear targets" :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

GTX

Another option would be some pistonated (that sounds so bad) airliners - 737 with props etc.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 10, 2009, 09:35:44 AM
   And make the bore as narrow as possible, stroke as long as possible, and try avoid an engine length issue in order to use current guage rails.   

Daryl,

Have you ever seen pics of an East African Railways Garratt?

It has a boiler about the same size a UP Challenger with a 4-8-4 engine at BOTH ends, and it runs on 3 ft gauge track. Width isn't really an issue, you'd need a gear box to get the drive from the engine to the axles anyway and that will raise the engine to footplate level.

Regards
Kit