Ideas needed for a Hawker Henneway

Started by philp, June 10, 2009, 02:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

What's a Henneway?  About 5 pounds :blink:

Ok, this joke is just egging to be made in plastic but I am stuck on an initial design.
I do have one of my son's Linbergh Vulcans he never finished that I have looked at scaleoramaing to 72nd (the kit is 1/96th) and turning it into a tailess type fighter or fighter-bomber.  While I thought of an Egg plane as an idea, there isn't much to start with and the GB ends today but still a possibility.

Any other good English designs that could be converted to something odd?

Any and all ideas (even the eggcentric ones) gladly considered and reviewed with what is in the stash or can be acquired cheeply.

(all puns were intended in the making of this thread)
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

puddingwrestler

So will you build a Henndoo as well?

"gale force henndoos are sweeping in from iceland, shetland and the ponies" - Wallace Greenslade.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

philp

I think one kit bash will tax me sufficiently.
Besides, gotta leave something for you to do :thumbsup:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Quote from: philp on June 10, 2009, 02:36:44 PM

I do have one of my son's Linbergh Vulcans he never finished that I have looked at scaleoramaing to 72nd (the kit is 1/96th) and turning it into a tailess type fighter or fighter-bomber.  While I thought of an Egg plane as an idea, there isn't much to start with and the GB ends today but still a possibility.

That's exactly why I've been asking about 1/96th Vulcans on their thread. One of my ideas for Patchwork World, where Avro would never have built something as big as the Vulcan, is a half-ish-scale "Avro Avenger" based loosely on the never-built Avro 710 proposal for a 1/2 scale twin-Avon Vulcan testbed to go with the 1/4 scale 707s. The Lindberg/Revell Vulcan comes out a bit on the big side, but it looks "more Avro" than the other option, which is to use a Javelin as a base. Somehow, you could stick warp nacelles and a sail on a Javelin and it would still look like a Javelin...... :rolleyes:

(n.b. This doesn't mean I have any prior claim on the idea (it may NEVER get built at my rate): go for it if you want to!  :thumbsup:)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Bungle

Not sure if the proposed Henneway was before or after the aborted Haringey (a quick plug for my own irrational creation) but what is the most distinctive feature of the Vulcan ? The wings.

So my bizarre logic says see if you can match the 1/96 Vulcan wings to a 1/72 Hawker Hunter...... twin seat (Tandem) twin engined... mouth begins to froth.

Bungle
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

The Rat

Quote from: Bungle on June 11, 2009, 01:11:43 AMSo my bizarre logic says see if you can match the 1/96 Vulcan wings to a 1/72 Hawker Hunter......

I've done that Lindberg Vulcan and trust me - there's no way those wings would fit on a 1/72nd Hunter. A 1/32nd Hunter maybe. A delta Hunter has been on my to-do list for years, but I've never been sure of what to use.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

philp

Quote from: Bungle on June 11, 2009, 01:11:43 AM

Not sure if the proposed Henneway was before or after the aborted Haringey (a quick plug for my own irrational creation) Bungle

Hey, it was the Haringey that made the name click in my head (Squirral...).

A Delta Hunter has possibilities but I would have to dig up another kit as my Revell one is earmarked for a RW Jordanian version from 1967.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on June 11, 2009, 08:42:09 AM
A delta Hunter has been on my to-do list for years, but I've never been sure of what to use.

An F-102 perhaps? A Fairey FD2 may work too, albeit a tad small. Various Mirage variants?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2009, 02:15:44 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 11, 2009, 08:42:09 AM
A delta Hunter has been on my to-do list for years, but I've never been sure of what to use.

An F-102 perhaps? A Fairey FD2 may work too, albeit a tad small. Various Mirage variants?

Skyray maybe?  Similar intakes & the ogival shape might suit a Hawker aircraft.

Philip, I don't know why, but straight away I thought of the HP Heyford when I saw your post, even though it's worlds apart from the Vulcan.  Slightly odd as it is, it could easily be converted into something 'odder'.

Other British aircraft?  I'm thinking bombers still, Avro Lancaster, or go a bit more obscure with a HP Halifax or Short Stirling?  You could create something strange with a Canberra (just ask Kit!), especially the types with the off-set cockpit.  Talking of deltas, stick one on a Canberra?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Skyray, hmmm, I actually have one of those in the stash that I have been stuck on how to whiff it.
How could I make that a bit more Hawker?

I was searching Hawker planes and thought of a swept wing Sea Hawk.  Course, a little more searching and there is the P.1052 and P.1081.

So, what donor wings would look good for this in 72nd and anyone have an Airfix kit they want to get rid of cheaply?

The Heyford is definitely a different way to go.  Let's see, convert it into a monoplane with inclosed stations, turrets and retractable gear.  That could work but I think I want to stay with some type of jet for this one.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

Maybe swap the wings between the two?  Nothing more Hawker than the Hunters wing.  Would be quite a job as the blended fuselage on the Skyray might give you a few mating problems.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

The delta Hunter proposal in BSP has a Mirage-like straight 60 deg Delta.

I've been wondering what could donate it's wings to a P.1052 too: these kinds of tapered swept wings seem to be a peculiarly British Experimental thing....... :unsure:

On my to do list is a stretched Seahawk with Skyhawk wings, and that works a treat (got the kits). Feel free to use the idea if you want Philp.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Bungle

Not having seen the 1/96 Vulcan kit I started doing the maths on scaling a Vulcan down to 1/96 and then matching to a Hunter. My brain hurts !

So if you wanted to go Delta How about the wings from the Fairey Delta (on a Hunter)

For the Vulan wings....how about mating them to a B-1B ? Are they too big for a F-111 or Vigilante. How about a B-29 Delta ?

Can any one tell me the difference between What-if and What the *@$& ! I seem to start out What-if.... and end up with What the ....

;D

Bungle
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

NARSES2

Quote from: Bungle on June 12, 2009, 08:38:12 AM
Can any one tell me the difference between What-if and What the *@$& ! I seem to start out What-if.... and end up with What the ....

;D

Bungle

6 pints  :drink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

philp

Thanks all for the ideas so far.
Think I have narrowed it down to a swept wing Sea Hawk or something with the Skyray (but want to keep the wings on that one).

So I need to find wings that would work on the Sea Hawk (and a base kit) or some way to make the Skyray more "Hawker" without messing with the wings.

Remember also, this kitbashing stuff is NOT my usual forte.  I am much more the take a kit and add different markings to it kind of whiffer.
So, the easier the conversion, the more likely I can finish it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies