USAF Banshee

Started by tigercat2, June 11, 2009, 08:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorel62

MORE SCOOTERS............  show us some T-Bolts please ;D ;D

tigercat2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on June 13, 2009, 04:07:18 AM
QuoteNavy F-84F (probably would have been called FR-1)

I was recently going through some books of mine and found out that Seversky did a SEV/P-35 variant for the Navy designated FN-1. I've just finished updating my model database and one of the last things I did was adjust all my Republic Navy birds from 'R' to 'N'. This has the added benefit of freeing 'R' for some later Ryan stuff.

I plan to do the whole range from FN (P-35), F2N (P-47), F3N (F-84s - running to suitably high numbers for the swept wing variants) & F4N for the XF-91. Before some of you laugh at the Thunderceptor on a carrier, it had a variable-incidence wing, resulting in some good low speed handling. I have one in perpetual WIP developed along the lines of the F3H Demon.

To bring this back on topic, my "Republic Navy thing" was probably inspired by you posting that very F-84 pic many moons ago  :thumbsup:

Your idea sounds great; really looking forward to seeing your stable of Republic Navy birds.  As long as it is in the What If world, why not throw in the USN version of the XP-72; that would probably be the F3N, with all subsequent birds kicked up a number.  Now, THAT would be a sight to see, in all its R-4360 contra-rotating prop glory!!

The Navy version of the Thunderceptor would be fantastic; in full mid-50s grey/white with colorful squadron markings.  Also, remember that the XF-84H "Thunderscreech" (F-84F with a turboprop engine) was looked at by the Navy as a strike fighter.   That would make a great What if as well, and might be given its own Navy designation.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Quote from: jorel62 on June 13, 2009, 05:03:51 AM

MORE SCOOTERS............  show us some T-Bolts please ;D ;D

Here are my Scooters to date; more for the USAF are in the pipeline. TBolts to follow.

Wes W.

tigercat2

By request, a few TBolts.  I have more, but many are in deep storage after Mrs. W's remodeling of my model room (it looks fantastic, by the way;  I am so lucky to have such an understanding wife!!).  I have settled on the Academy kit for both the bubble and razorback T Bolt  as the best for me; one reason is that you get two props in each kit.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Quote from: tigercat2 on June 13, 2009, 05:46:53 AM
Quote from: sideshowbob9 on June 13, 2009, 04:07:18 AM
QuoteNavy F-84F (probably would have been called FR-1)

I was recently going through some books of mine and found out that Seversky did a SEV/P-35 variant for the Navy designated FN-1. I've just finished updating my model database and one of the last things I did was adjust all my Republic Navy birds from 'R' to 'N'. This has the added benefit of freeing 'R' for some later Ryan stuff.

I plan to do the whole range from FN (P-35), F2N (P-47), F3N (F-84s - running to suitably high numbers for the swept wing variants) & F4N for the XF-91. Before some of you laugh at the Thunderceptor on a carrier, it had a variable-incidence wing, resulting in some good low speed handling. I have one in perpetual WIP developed along the lines of the F3H Demon.

To bring this back on topic, my "Republic Navy thing" was probably inspired by you posting that very F-84 pic many moons ago  :thumbsup:

Your idea sounds great; really looking forward to seeing your stable of Republic Navy birds.  As long as it is in the What If world, why not throw in the USN version of the XP-72; that would probably be the F3N, with all subsequent birds kicked up a number.  Now, THAT would be a sight to see, in all its R-4360 contra-rotating prop glory!!

The Navy version of the Thunderceptor would be fantastic; in full mid-50s grey/white with colorful squadron markings.  Also, remember that the XF-84H "Thunderscreech" (F-84F with a turboprop engine) was looked at by the Navy as a strike fighter.   That would make a great What if as well, and might be given its own Navy designation.

Wes W.

Why not go all the way and build a Navy Thud - would really look good in the high vis Navy markings.  For something really bizarre, how about a Navy F-103; don't know about the low speed handling, but it sure could take off from a carrier in a hurry!!  And, of course, the last "Republic" aircraft, a Navy A-10.   That, with folding wings and a full ordinance load, would look super!!
The A-10 would be an AN-1, most likely.

Wes W.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

Quote...why not throw in the USN version of the XP-72...
QuoteAlso, remember that the XF-84H "Thunderscreech".....

It's funny that you mention those. I just happen to have a resin XP-72 sitting on the back of a shelf about a 1/4 done and a 1/2 done vacuform XF-84H*. I was going to do both USAF, the latter as a Sandy, but you raise a good point about seeing them in Navy colours.

In fact, about the only Republic I don't have planned to go on the carriers is the Thud. I cannot conceive of any way that the beast could be made carrier capable. Maybe as a shore-based strike asset. Hey, wait a minute...... ;D

* It's gonna have to be modded up with a "big spine" though as its my 1st vacuform and the fuse-halves join is a bit dodgy  :banghead:

Edited to add: Doh! Didn't see the last post. Got an A-10 also in the works (just gonna designate it A-10N as its post-'62). As for the F-103, well there were going to be some submarine-based F11Fs (presumably RATO-launched). The F-103 vertically launched from a big mama sub would be the ultimate extension of that concept. Hmmmm...... interesting.......

Sauragnmon

sweet scooters, Tiger - I've got my own Scooter build I'm working on right now, gonna do a Should-have-been Scooter, the RCN Scooter, marked for flight off the Bonnie.

Question - if you navalize a Thud, making it a wet thud, does it become a slap? *waves coat*
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sideshowbob9

QuoteQuestion - if you navalize a Thud, making it a wet thud, does it become a slap? *waves coat*

;D