F-104 Starfighter

Started by dy031101, June 13, 2009, 04:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

Quote from: Shasper on June 24, 2009, 12:28:12 PM
Well the U-2 started out as a F-104 with the long wings . . .

Shas 8)

I know, the U-2 was sort of the ultimate derivitive of the F-104.  It will be interesting to get both the '104 and the U-2 and see how much commonality there is in the forward fuselage.  At first I thought just slice off the U-2 nose forward of the canopy, but it might be better to use the U-2 fuselage back to near the intakes.  In fact, I might use the wings and tail from an F-16 (I have done 5 of these lately) to give it a very different look.

Wes W.

Logan Hartke

Quote from: tigercat2 on June 24, 2009, 01:17:57 PM
In fact, I might use the wings and tail from an F-16 (I have done 5 of these lately) to give it a very different look.

Why not then take the wings from the U-2 and do a U-2 version of the F-16?  I've not seen one of those before.

Cheers,

Logan

tigercat2

Brilliant idea!!  I was not looking forward to pitching the majority of the U-2, but to mate the wings with an F-16 (I have several of these in stash to use in the F-104/F-16 hybrid project) is very do-able, and should make a great what if.  Or, I may stick the F-104 nose on the U-2.

Wes W.

Logan Hartke

Yeah, I just figured if the U-2 was derived from the original 1950s lightweight fighter, why not do it with the modern lightweight fighter?  It's single-engine and has the same basic layout with the exception of the tail and intake.  Lengthen the fuselage maybe and give it a different nose profile.  Now that I think about it, a U-2 version of an F-35 would be awesome.  A stealth U-2, essentially, optimized for long-range, high-altitude operations to replace both the U-2 and Canberra PR.9.

Cheers,

Logan

jcf

There has been this long-wing F-16 based UCAV concept floating around since the late '90s:

From a 1998 paper by Major Kenneth Thompson, USAF
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/docs/98-282.pdf

I recall that pics of a model based on the illustrations was posted on Hyperscale some years back.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 24, 2009, 10:06:44 PMThere has been this long-wing F-16 based UCAV concept floating around since the late '90s .

The wing arrangement is interesting and from the overhead view it looks as if you could take the wing from an S-3 Viking minus engines and adapt it to fit the F-16 fuselage.  You get the added benefit of folding wings with that kit bash, another benefit if you are to park the aircraft in an aircraft shelter when it is not in use. 

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 24, 2009, 10:06:44 PMI recall that pics of a model based on the illustrations was posted on Hyperscale some years back.

Was that the UCAV model built by John Chung?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

royabulgaf

I did one some years ago in 1/72 scale, and used Su-25 wings.  You then get the benefit of all the hardpoints.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

dy031101

Has anyone ever seen a F-104S/ASA/ASA-M carrying Sparrow/Aspide missiles AND wingtip tanks at the same time?

And if there is a picture depicting the afore-mentioned loadout, would anyone post it?  Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

tahsin

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39447&page=12 is currently the last page of a thread I particularly like , where you can get such gems as F-104s outturning Phantoms or Alfakilo , an F-104 pilot telling how they once got F-15s . And naturally it is also the source of pictures

GTX

A thought:  what if Iran had acquired F-104s instead of F-5s and then developed the HESA Saeqeh (see pic below) based on the f-104 rather than the F-5?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

Quote from: GTX on October 10, 2009, 02:24:34 PM
A thought:  what if Iran had acquired F-104s instead of F-5s and then developed the HESA Saeqeh (see pic below) based on the f-104 rather than the F-5?

Lancer coming true somehow?

=====================================

Here are a couple of modernised F-104s I imagined along the lines written down at the beginning of this thread.

ElectrikBlue had the idea of CFTs here.

Now I think technically it would be even better to combine the CFTs with Lancer/X-27...... but I have a hard time figuring out where to put them on an aircraft with high-set wings.  Maybe along the sides of the intakes?

====================

To-do list here

elmayerle

For the Lancer, consider conformal tankage similar to teh F-15's FASTPACs, perhaps with the addition of LERX to the Lancer?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ElectrikBlue

Quote from: elmayerle on November 02, 2009, 10:25:49 PM
For the Lancer, consider conformal tankage similar to teh F-15's FASTPACs, perhaps with the addition of LERX to the Lancer?

Already done. ;D

dy031101

Quote from: ElectrikBlue on November 02, 2009, 11:28:16 PM
Already done. ;D

Actually I'm thinking about the CL-1200/X-27, which is indeed an evolved F-104 with high-mounted, increased span wing and low-mounted, enlarged tailplanes......

EDIT: Previously included elmayerle's post for the sake of completeness.  Now removed.

====================

To-do list here

elmayerle

Quote from: dy031101 on November 03, 2009, 07:08:11 AM
Quote from: ElectrikBlue on November 02, 2009, 11:28:16 PM
Quote from: elmayerle on November 02, 2009, 10:25:49 PM

Already done. ;D

Actually I'm thinking about the CL-1200/X-27, which is indeed an evolved F-104 with high-mounted, increased span wing and low-mounted, enlarged tailplanes......

Like I said, the Lockheed Lancer
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin