F-104 Starfighter

Started by dy031101, June 13, 2009, 04:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 10, 2015, 06:02:47 AM
...... and maybe a fin top RWR  :thumbsup:

Been there, done that.  ;D :lol:

My first ever Whiff, back in 1972.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Gorgeous. I just saved that pic to my model picture folder, so hopefully I won't forget it. Again.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

I would quite like to do a Speyfighter. The Academy 1/72 F-104G is cheap and plentiful...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 11, 2015, 05:20:10 PM
<...> The Academy 1/72 F-104G is cheap and plentiful...

It's also utterly, utterly horrible!  :o I suppose it's to jets what the Starfix Spitfire is to props. Really, you'd be better off investing a couple more quid in an ESCI/Italeri, Revell or Hasegawa kit. They're all miles ahead of Academy's abomination!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 12, 2015, 07:03:58 AM
Quote from: KiwiZac on November 11, 2015, 05:20:10 PM
<...> The Academy 1/72 F-104G is cheap and plentiful...

It's also utterly, utterly horrible!  :o I suppose it's to jets what the Starfix Spitfire is to props. Really, you'd be better off investing a couple more quid in an ESCI/Italeri, Revell or Hasegawa kit. They're all miles ahead of Academy's abomination!

Second that. Crude thing, cockpit and canopy are especially ugly. The old ESCI kit is cool (raised details, though), as well as the Heller kit which comes with alternative single and two seat cockpits. Compared with the Academy thing even the simple Matchbox F-104 is gold!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 12, 2015, 07:03:58 AM
.....you'd be better off investing a couple more quid in an ESCI/Italeri, Revell or Hasegawa kit. They're all miles ahead of Academy's abomination!

While insuring it's not the early Hasegawa kit, which has a canopy wide enough for a side-by-side 2 seater!

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 12, 2015, 07:22:08 AM
Compared with the Academy thing even the simple Matchbox F-104 is gold!

But tarnished gold. That's the one I started with to build the F-104K pictured above, and it's a Whiff just because I didn't reckon it was good enough to build a decent RW model from!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Yes I'll agree with the above sentiments......don't waste your time on that 'thing' you'll be disappointed  :-X
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

But if you already have an Academy F104G then what better fate for it than to be Whiffed?
It all fits together fairly well, it's accuracy where it suffers.  That and having nothing inside the wheel bays.  OH, and a deformed pilot IIRC.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Excellent job there Fred.  :thumbsup:

I'd be a real PITB to plug into a tanker with the probe underneath the nose!

What's the backstory on it?

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Kit, it's on the side.  You were a consultant on this one.
This should nudge your memory.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 14, 2015, 01:42:52 AM

Kit, it's on the side.  You were a consultant on this one.
This should nudge your memory.

Duuuhhhh, I remember now, sorry.  :banghead:

That was the 'Pru Blue' aeroplane of course  ;D and now I look at the pic above I can see the line of the probe against the fuselage (just...)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Anyway, I have a Chinese interceptor design in agenda that never left the real drawing board, but looked a lot like a Starfighter with low wings and tail. Maybe an Academy F-104 might find a good use in this case: looks similar, but just like a crude copy of the real thing...  :rolleyes:

KJ_Lesnick

I was thinking about a couple of things: From what I remember, the aircraft was given 10-degrees of anhedral because of a pronounced wing on rudder effect.  If the wing-span was a bit larger would the dihedral be reduced?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Gondor

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on November 14, 2015, 03:03:30 PM
I was thinking about a couple of things: From what I remember, the aircraft was given 10-degrees of anhedral because of a pronounced wing on rudder effect.  If the wing-span was a bit larger would the dihedral be reduced?

The size of the wing(span-wise) would not change the effect on the rudder where the angle of anhederal would. Lockheed would have had a very good reason for coming up with the solution that they did.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Geoff

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 12, 2015, 07:23:07 AM
While insuring it's not the early Hasegawa kit, which has a canopy wide enough for a side-by-side 2 seater!

Hmmm