F-104 Starfighter

Started by dy031101, June 13, 2009, 04:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Man oh man, I wish I'd read everyone's comments BEFORE paying for an unbuildable Academy kit that looks nothing like an F-104 and ending up with this POS:

In my defence:
- it was cheap
- it was one of only two F-104s in the shop, the other being an Academy 1/72 F-104G
- the night before my future father-in-law had given me a lecture about the perils of not having a career, told me he wouldn't hire me, and generally stated he had no respect for me when it came to my haphazard employment history, so I was feeling genuinely depressed and just wanted to buy some models

(I have a suprisingly emotional attachment to this kit now thanks to this last point)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

No matter, it looks GREAT!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tahsin

The canopy stands rather high, was it out of the box or a what-if part?

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 17, 2015, 02:13:54 PM
<...>
- the night before my future father-in-law had given me a lecture about the perils of not having a career, told me he wouldn't hire me, and generally stated he had no respect for me when it came to my haphazard employment history, so I was feeling genuinely depressed and just wanted to buy some models

(I have a suprisingly emotional attachment to this kit now thanks to this last point)

Do keep the -104!  :thumbsup: If push comes to shove, you can always stab the stoopid f**ker with it!  :wacko: Seriously, what a bast**d!  :angry:

As said elsewhere: silk purse made from a sow's ear!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

KiwiZac

Quote from: tahsin on November 18, 2015, 01:11:27 AM
OOB. I rather like it, actually!
Zac in NZ

zenrat

Is that the boxing where there's something odd going on with the missiles in the box art?

I once had a similar lecture from a boss.  He had inherited me with the job and didn't appreciate sarcasm or indeed any of the lower forms of wit or the fact that I had no respect for him as he was a bully.  He was later fired when it turned out he was an alcoholic.  Something which didn't go down well with Railtrack where everyone had to meet the same drug/alcohol requirements as train drivers.  Stupid dick got spotted leaving the pub opposite the office after having his liquid lunch, got tested and got shown the door.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

I'm not complaining. We knew what you were getting into when you bought it, and you've done a great job of it ! love the camo and markings bro  :cheers: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Thanks bro :)

zenrat - this is the one. I see what you mean!
Zac in NZ

zenrat

Yep.  Starboard wing is possibly longer than the port one as well.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

tahsin

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 18, 2015, 12:26:29 PM

Well, so do I. A what if straight from the box, too... As for bad kits, I still remember the day when I bought that Airfix 104. I was at high school and this puts the event into 1987 or thereabouts and a couple of classmates and I were simply reduced to looking at the box and its contents, left speechless. Turkey is the country of PM, the rudimentary modelling legend, but have that kind of Airfix? Oh, my...

Gondor

Quote from: tahsin on November 20, 2015, 12:49:15 AM

Well, so do I. A what if straight from the box, too... As for bad kits, I still remember the day when I bought that Airfix 104. I was at high school and this puts the event into 1987 or thereabouts and a couple of classmates and I were simply reduced to looking at the box and its contents, left speechless. Turkey is the country of PM, the rudimentary modelling legend, but have that kind of Airfix? Oh, my...

At that point in time the moulds could well have been older than yourself. It's only in recent years that Airfix have replaced several of their moulds with state of the art technology. At the moment the best 1/72 F-104 in my opinion is the Hasegawa kit followed by the Esci/Italeri kit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

Quote from: tahsin on November 20, 2015, 12:49:15 AM

1987 Eh! That Airfix F-104 would be 24 years old (it came out in 1963).
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

tahsin

Back in my youth, Airfix was the dream thing if you were into modelling. I watched a Series 5 Lancaster in a shop window for almost 4 years until somebody had enough money to buy that. Don't know, was surely expecting the 104 to be like that F-5E I had bought previously. And you know, to top that I think I also lost my umbrella while out to buy the kit!

KJ_Lesnick

Gondor

QuoteThe size of the wing(span-wise) would not change the effect on the rudder where the angle of anhederal would. Lockheed would have had a very good reason for coming up with the solution that they did.
I think we misunderstood each other: The tailplane mounted atop the vertical stabilizer resulted in rudder application rolling the plane in opposition to the direction of yaw.  The anhedral made the airplane tend to roll into the direction of yaw and negate the wing on rudder effect.

The effectiveness of the wing's anhedral would appear to me to be the angle of dihedral as well as the span of the wing (if the wing is larger in span, for the same dihedral, more of the wing is below the "waterline", so to speak): So I figured if the span was longer you'd still need dihedral, but possibly less of it.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

zenrat

Are you in the right thread Hannah? there are models in this one.

Fred