Main Menu

The Single Kit Kitbash GB

Started by puddingwrestler, June 14, 2009, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: kitbasher on April 04, 2010, 03:13:17 AM
So let's take this idea a step or two further.....

1 - Retain the basic concept and rules pronounced to date. 
2 - Two weeks to nominate the scale.
3 - Add a price limit to cost of base kit?
4 - Two weeks to nominate base kits. 
5 - Two weeks to vote for base kit.
6 - All announce participation and build to the same base kit.
7 - No naming of subject, no in progress pics.
8 - Post pics of completed models within 24 hours AFTER deadline?

Would a 'Same Kit GB' work, I wonder?  Maybe in 2011, rather than hijack this suggestion?
;D ;D

That's a different concept. This is a single kit GB, i.e. you choose your own base kit but you mustn't use parts from anything else. What you're proposing is a same kit GB where everyone builds the same kit in different ways. Interesting idea, but different to this one. I'd suggest starting a separate thread for it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

As Weaver said, yours is a different concept entirerly. Start a thread for it and I'll happily vote for it come the next polls, but it is not the same as my concept for this GB. Also I think you should skip the nominate scale section and go right to nominating kits.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

puddingwrestler

Another minor adition to the rules which came to me as I was poking around thinking about an idea I had for this GB:
The word 'kit' shall refer to the contents of a single box, so if your victim is a kit which builds up into more than one model (eg: pegasus 1/72 AFVs tend to come in boxes of two, soldier figures usually come in sets of atleast four, Airfix dog fight doubles etc. etc.) then it is declared to be a single kit.

The whole single kit kitbash idea came about because I was visiting my parents, and did not have access to my whole stash, therefore I only had the parts in the kit I had brought and some raw materials. Think of it as a 'my first kitbash' for those with no stash if you will, so if the box you are making a model oout of has more than one model in it, that seems fair enough to me.

If you want to be hard line about this, and only use parts from one of the models in the kit, that is fine with me, treat it as an optional rule.(my idea does not actually involve cross-polination between the models in the box, but it did get me thinking)

Daryl J.

I'd presume you'd wish to disclude issues like Monogram's  Do-335/P-47D release but could include Hasegawa's release of two F-11F's.

:cheers:,
Daryl J.

puddingwrestler

Why? As long as they are in the same box they count as one kit. Airfix dogfight doubles (as mentioned as an example above) contain aircraft from opposing sides with the idea that you then fly them around your room having dogfights. In fact, I'd rather disuade people from using a kit which includes two of the same model; it's much more interesting to see how they combine two dissimilar sets of parts.

philp

The combination of the kits in the old Monogram sets would be fun.  A P-51 and Panther tank or FW-190 and Sherman.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Fulcrum

I think this is similar to a conversion I did for my mig-29A in order for it to be a Mig-29M(both actually look similar), all I did was add 2 more weapon pylons & use a small sheet of paper to make it look like it is the dorsal spine of a Mig-29M.

Then again, I might be wrong...
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

puddingwrestler

You are very wrong - the idea is to turn it into something completely different. It is a test of invention imagination and skill, not a subtle thing at all.

Gondor

Single Kit Kit bash........ where is that model of a black car with a red light on the bonnet !!

Seriously I am pondering an old Monogram B-52D I have stashed on top of a wardrobe.

Should be able to make something interesting and Sci-fi out of that!!!

and does the tree/sprue count as additional material if its from the same box ?

Gondor

What if usual means....... what if I actually finish something!
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

puddingwrestler

Sprue counts as raw material.

Hmmm... if this runs, I may have to try to find a kit of KITT to offer as a pize...

Weaver

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 06, 2010, 11:16:32 PM
Sprue counts as raw material.

Hmmm... if this runs, I may have to try to find a kit of KITT to offer as a pize...

I thought you wanted as much participation as possible........ :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

Stakes not high enough?
Okay...
If you like Twigglets, the prize is twigglets.
If you hate them, I'll post you twigglets until you join in :wacko:

puddingwrestler

VOTE 1 FOR THE SKKBGB.

Because you know it makes financial sense to only use one kit!

PR19_Kit

The term 'financial sense' has no place in Whiff World. I'd have thought that was self-evident!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

Okay, it means your precious stash doesn't go down too rapidly then! :thumbsup: