S.H.A.D.O. Interceptors 2009

Started by chrisonord, June 15, 2009, 06:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Here are some builds I have for this next modelling theme I want to do. The first one here is something I started ages ago and literally just stuck lots of bits together and dolloped it with putty/superglue. Hence the parts are very skew whiff in some places. Anyway this has found a new reprieve as part of my S.H.A.D.O fleet. It is a super sonic trans atmospheric interceptor, that is capable of close in high manoeuvre fighting, it is armed with 2 rail guns, of different calibre and range, one is for distance shots and the other for close in combat. It will be armed with hypersonic intercept missiles that will also be compatible with trans-atmospheric combat.
This thing is made from 1/72nd scale B-52 tail wings, a 1/72nd scale YF-23 nose section, some modded gun pods, a1/72nd scale f-16 intake, 1/48th scale f-16 exhaust nozzle, and some 1/72nd scale F-18 tails. The smaller exhaust nozzles are from a PAH-2 and the other nozzle, I can't remember.
The hardpoints are a mixture of stuff including the centre one which is off a B-58. The rail guns are made from a cut down chieftain tank gun barrel, and the other is made from a 1/12th motorbike handle bar grip. Lots of putty and styrene card was also used in the construction.

The next one is a Hypersonic high atmospheric long rang interceptor/patrol aircraft, this will have scram jets fitted, for rapid inter-continental deployment, 2 jet engines for cruise/patrol work and a rocket motor for incase the craft has to go out of the atmosphere.
The weaponry for this aircraft will be missiles only, due to the high speed of the aircraft. Particle weapons are being tested and evaluated, and will be retro fitted into a forward bay. All missiles will be of the hyper sonic type, and will be capable of operation in the upper atmosphere.
This craft has a 3 man crew as it is used for patrol and recon work also.

This one is made mostly from a dead SR-75 I had in the bone yard, with some styrene card for the engine bay, I am in the process of making the scram jets which will go on the underside of the craft.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Sauragnmon

Looking good so far, Chris, keep up the good work - you also got good detail shots with the camera, just remember to keep a little distance so your camera can focus properly.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

ChernayaAkula

Nice! Particularly like the layout of the first one!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Brian da Basher

The camo in the first two shots is extraordinary!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

chrisonord

Not a great deal of progress with these today, as I filled the gaps in the wings on the SR-75 based plane with miliput, just so it would help bond the wings onto the fuselage and fill the 2 dirty great holes where the original canard wings used to live. Sanding this lot down was absolutely marvellous  :rolleyes: so out came the 180's wet and dry, and half an hour later, it looks something similar. It needs some more filling and sanding but the main of it is done and the wings feel solid now, which was my main concern.
I will do some more pics when I have made my mind up on the engine layout for the thing.
Cheers,
Chris.

John Howling Mouse

Magic!  Love the way you can make completely fresh concepts from old/used parts.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Cobra

Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is Better than Anything!!!!!! Sure you didn't work for Derek Meddings????? Keep up the Great Work!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Mossie

Great stuff!  They look the part, definately. :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

BlackOps

Extreme coolness! These are definately worthy of running around the neighborhood with while making suitable soundeffects!  :thumbsup:

You've been quite busy lately haven't you!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

chrisonord

Here are some more progress pics of the SR-75 parts bin special, it is now officially called the RF-309.

The bay between the scram jet intakes which was the front landing gear, will be the weapons bay. The missiles of which there will be six will be on a rotary launcher with a trapeze that flings the missiles out at very high speed, so as to clear the aircrafts hyper sonic shock wave. 

Vulcan7

Great looking S.H.A.D.O. interceptors Chris  :thumbsup: ace idea  :tornado:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

thedarkmaster

looking good, really like ufo so going to watch this with baited breath .
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

chrisonord

here is some more pictures for you, the jury is still out on this colour scheme so don't be surprised if it changes colour again.
I have put 2 phoenix missile rails on it also as I have modded some of these missiles with a scram jet, the rails are on the outside of the scram jet intakes. I have made som e weapons bay doors and fitted a trapeze launcher for the internal missiles.

Ta very much.
Chris.

Sauragnmon

I LIKE IT!  I love the way you have the subtle undercamo with the harder edged stuff on top.  There's the blended medium gray and the blue under the dark gray spots, really looks good.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland