WHIFs found at model contests

Started by philp, October 28, 2007, 11:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Nah, the X-1 series all had constant taper wings and the canopy has too much of a hump.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Captain Canada

Beauty !

The quad tilit rotor looks good, but the blade design ruins it for me.....

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 12, 2014, 09:06:57 AM
but the blade design ruins it for me.....

Uncle Les 3D printed them Todd --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: JayBee on June 12, 2014, 08:46:40 AM
Nah, the X-1 series all had constant taper wings and the canopy has too much of a hump.

Jim

I did say the fuselage Jim, the wings obviously come from something else.  Real photos of the X-1A through to X-1D show the canopy a bit different to the kit canopy -- not like the X-1 at all.

sandiego89

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 12, 2014, 09:52:35 AM
Quote from: JayBee on June 12, 2014, 08:46:40 AM

Jim

I did say the fuselage Jim, the wings obviously come from something else.  Real photos of the X-1A through to X-1D show the canopy a bit different to the kit canopy -- not like the X-1 at all.

I agree with a later X-1 fuselage and likely later mark spitfire wings.  Canopy could be hunter, or a few other possibilites like P-80?  Unusre if it has intakes, but sure looks like a jet exhaust.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Pic of the surviving X-1B, if you look under the fuselage of the model you can check to see the bottom ridge of the fuselage with this photo, same front wheel too.  I also think the models fuselage has been shortened --

JayBee

I did think that the fuselage might have been sourced from an X-1 kit, but I also think that the canopy drops down a little bit too much at the rear for it to have come from that source.
It is definitely not a hunter canopy as Lee/The Wooksta thinks. However if this is 1/72 scale it could just be the canopy from the old Frog/Eastern Express DeHavilland Hornet as this was not accurate for a scale model but looks rather like the photo.

WE NEED MORE INFORMATION!  :rolleyes:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Wooksta!

Spitfire clipped E wings or more likely Revell Vb wing - the bulges are separate.

Not a Hornet canopy.  Certainly not the Frog one as it's not enough of a bubble and it tapers in a little too much at the back for the Frog one.

Eastern Express never got the Frog Hornet. The last of the Hornets were coming in bagged in 1992 and I suspect that the Hornet moulds were in the same factory that had the Wyvern moulds.  It was unfortunately located in Grozny and the Russians flattened it during the Chechen war...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

buzzbomb

Just to add to the discussion on Uncle Les's Juniper... it is 1/32 scale  :thumbsup:

I will chase him up and get some details if you need.

The Wooksta!

Trust me, I know the Spitfire quite intimately and those are definitely Spitfire wings.  Clipped, yes but definitely Spitfire.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Flyer on June 12, 2014, 08:43:48 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 12, 2014, 07:38:04 PM
Trust me, I know the Spitfire quite intimately and those are definitely Spitfire wings.  Clipped, yes but definitely Spitfire.

not related to this model but related to Spitfires, I was watching reach for the sky (I think that was what it was called, The Douglas Bader movie) on TV last week and noticed most of the spitfires used had bubble canopies, I know it's only a movie but is that a case of the movie producers using whatever they can find or were there bubbled Spitfires used in the early years of the war?

The bubble canopied Spitfires didn't come in until the late Mk XVIs and XIVs, and that was a LONG time after the BoB.

When they made 'Reach for the Sky' it was a case of using what they could get and there were more flyable Mk XVIs about than early Marks at the time. Nowadays they could have their pick of early Mark Spitfires, there's almost as many flying now as there were in the BoB!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The bubble top Spits started flying in 44.

When they did "The Battle of Britain", they used a few bubble tops but modded with wood and fabric to give them the high back.  When you start looking into how they cobbled together enough stuff for the film, it's really quite fascinating.  

I just want a Merlin He 111 conversion.  I've had a rather interesting whiff planned for some time.  And the way my mind cartwheels, it's led to another two or three.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

The Wooksta!

Given the number of Lancaster spares i have, I may not need it...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

uncle les

Quote from: buzzbomb on June 12, 2014, 03:40:55 PM
Just to add to the discussion on Uncle Les's Juniper... it is 1/32 scale  :thumbsup:

I will chase him up and get some details if you need.

Which Brian has successfully achieved.
For those interested - first a little background:
A very good friend referred to the "Bristol Jupiter" incorrectly as the "Miles Juniper" (long story - involves a Biggles adventure..) and it was a source of amusement for us resulting in me playing a practical joke when I exhibited a fictitious Airfix kit in my collection at the 1999 Melbourne ModelExpo.  
https://scontent-a-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/2612_1116821122983_5926524_n.jpg
It was picked up by a couple of websites, some no longer active, and took on a whole life of its own.  
http://pws.prserv.net/gbinet.dbjames/finds.htm  
https://groups.google.com/forum/#topic/rec.models.scale/Ixg9VttmNBs  
Anything I made that was whiffy was referred to by my inner circle as "something of a Juniper" resulting in one of my creations, this Miles M52 derivative, picking up the mantle..  the Juniper II.

Now to the model itself:
It's entry at the 2014 ModelExpo was purely as a " I'll see your X-1 and raise you... well  .. nothing really"  to Eric G who produced a superb real-life inspired award winning X-1 also in 1/32.
It's basically a Revell 1/32 X-1 fuselage, Matchbox 1/32 Spitty wings and elevators with the angular wingtips inspired by the Miles M52 (stops 99% of all household vortex shockwaves or sumthin..), a couple of intakes under the wings courtesy of a 1/32 Mirage drop tank and the canopy is a 1/48 Rons Resins 1/48 Spitfire bubble canopy. I don't remember where the armament came from.

I wanted it to be dual propulsion affair with a small rocket motor ( to effect a quick take-off) and a conventional underpowered jet to give it enough ooomph to get home having delivered it's payload of "point in general direction of invading enemy bomber and fire" unguided rockets.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...now,  when will the Juniper III make its debut ???
;D