WHIF models from Modeling Madness

Started by cthulhu77, July 07, 2008, 07:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Image source and additional images plus description: HobbyCraft 1/48th scale DH Vampire Mk.I WHIF

***added image from source page and cleaned up html***

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Nice model!  :thumbsup:

One of the things that people forget with pushers (and real aircraft designers have done this too, or at least not made adequate provision for it  :o  ) is that with no prop-wash running through them, the radiators run MUCH hotter when taxiing (i.e. when there's no airspeed either), to the point where they need an auxilliary fan to cool them. A whole variety of British pushers never saw the light of day precisely because of Rolls Royce's time/cost estimates for developing fan cooling systems.

I've always thought that a solution would be a suction fan in front of the prop, ducted to the radiators in front of it, sort of like a back-to-front FW-190A. You could probably arrange this with something like the Vampire.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

Mebbe it's just the way the photo was taken, but....from my perspective the pusher-prop Vampire model's nose was BELOW the horizontal axis when on its landing gear.  According to the backstory, the rear landing gear needed to be raised in order for the props to clear the ground. Uh, OK, but, in order to FLY (airplanes are intended to FLY aren't they??) off the ground the leading edge of the wing has to be higher than the trailing edge, and thus the whole aircraft would have to be pointing slightly "up" in order to take off.  The whif pusher-prop Vampire sits on its landing gear nose DOWN, thus could never take off without ripping off the prop tips (same with landing). Compare to the pusher-prop Kyushu Shinden and its tall, spindly landing gear.  The jet-powered Vampire could sit low to the ground only BECAUSE it had no prop to plow the earth.

To be good, a whif has to have SOME semblance of reality. An airplane has to have a believable ability to FLY. Though I like the idea of a pusher Vampire, you can't just stick a prop on the back. Had the modeler borrowed the landing gear from a Shinden, or severely reduced the diameter of the contraprop so the plane sits "normally", it would have made the model at least believable.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

dragon

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: The Rat on July 07, 2008, 07:37:27 PM
I've often tinkered with this idea myself.

Dammit Rat, I was trying to post a smart-arsed reply about tinkering with the idea of looking down 4 threads when this was moved....   :cheers:

You're absolutely right though.  It's a great idea for a time when piston engines were at their peak and jets were in their infancy.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sequoiaranger on July 07, 2008, 09:06:36 AM

To be good, a whif has to have SOME semblance of reality. An airplane has to have a believable ability to FLY. Though I like the idea of a pusher Vampire, you can't just stick a prop on the back. Had the modeler borrowed the landing gear from a Shinden, or severely reduced the diameter of the contraprop so the plane sits "normally", it would have made the model at least believable.

Meh, as said by others here: I simply substitute your reality for a more interesting one of my own choosing.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sequoiaranger

>Meh, as said by others here: I simply substitute your reality for a more interesting one of my own choosing.<

Amen to that! Sincerely.

However, when "your" pusher Vampire lifts its nose to take off down the runway, its pusher props will diagonal-stripe the runway like a manatee run over by a Florida ski boat; no extra charge for sparks.

pyro-manic

I was looking at the Revell Flitzer in my LHS the other day, and thinking about doing something very similar... :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

More images and description available at this link: Lufthansa Do-335 P Pfeil "Manfred Von Richtofen"
Just found this, while looking for reviews of the Revell (ex Matchbox) He-70. Couldn't figure out why it had found this on an He-70 search, until I scrolled down...... ;D

***added image and cleaned up html***

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Another interesting picture.  This time from a Modeling Madness kit review and build article of the 1/72nd scale Revell F-22 cRaptor by Carmel J. Attard showing of all things and AGM-88 HARM that has been modified ever so slightly by moving the front fins forward to a position just ahead of the forward suspension lug on the missile body.  It caught me as odd on the first glance and the closer examination confirmed it was not an AIM-120 AMRAAM which would be the normal menu item in that spot.  Guess that makes it a WHIF :)

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sequoiaranger

While perusing the "Modeling Madness" site's contest entries and winners, I was drawn (no surprise here) to the "Warped" category. Most of the stuff is the "egg plane"-type stuff, but....

The following entries caught my eye for the whiffery quality we have come to find common here at this site:

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.