SE5A 1/48? scale Artiplast Kit--Allan in Canberra

Started by Allan, June 20, 2009, 09:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi Ranger,
What I did was place some tape on the wing and then use a pencil to write the squiggles.
Then remove the tape, stick it onto a piece of plastic sheet and use the point of my sharp knife to cut out the pieces.
Then restick them onto the surface of the wing.
Then spray.
Allan

Brian da Basher

You're off to a smashing start on the camo, Allan! The shapes are very interesting. Having SE-5s in Africa isn't as far-fetched as one might think because they formed the core of the South African Air Force after W.W. I (in very colorful markings, too!).

The General Modeling topics part of the board was still there last time I looked. I sure hope the interweb didn't get hungry and pop over here for a snack again.
;)
Looking forward to your next update,
Brian da Basher

Allan

Thank you Brian and all for your kind comments. Here's the plane coming along nicely--have to decide on the decals now!
And have bought some Tamiya clear yellow for the struts--looking forward to using it.
Allan in Canberra

Brian da Basher

The more I see of your SE-5, the more I like it, Allan! I think all the time you took cutting the masking for your camo pattern will really pay off and make this one of the most eye-popping SE-5s around!
:wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

sequoiaranger

I REALLY think that jigsaw look is effective and bold. It works well.

In fact, and I mean this in an imitation-is-the-sincerest-form-of-flattery way, I think I will use the technique (though in soft edges) along the fuselage sides for my He-113M as the Germans try to make their Italian-camo-ed plane conform roughly to the German-camo look then in use in the North African desert.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Allan

Thanks, Brian and Ranger.
Ranger--best of luck using my tape technique. Making the tape stand a little proud of the surface might be a little tricky. You could gently lift the edge using a pointed toothpick or perhaps lay a length of thread under the tape, but getting the thread to match the wiggles might be really hard.
Allan in Canberra

Weaver

Nice job Allan!  :thumbsup:

SR: you could try this to get a soft edge: roll Blu-tack into a "snake" of uniformly small diameter between two plates (glass if you've got it) and stick that around the edge of mask to lift it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Allan

More photos. Inevitable paint bleed under the tape near the cockpit. Will touch it up tomorrow once it's dry.
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sisko

I really love that camo scheme!

Nice blend of colours and loving that jigsaw camo scheme!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Brian da Basher

Looking good, Allan!

You may have a better way to clean up the bleed-through, but here's a quick tip that seems to work well on my airliners: I lightly sand over the bleed through with fine grit sand paper (2000 is what I use). Then I go back and touch up anything that needs it by hand. The nice thing is this saves me a little on the touch up painting. Your mileage may vary.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment of this wonderful project!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

noxioux

Great looking bird.  I hope to have the courage to build a biplane sometime soon. . . :thumbsup:

Allan

Hi fellows,
Here's one of the two machine guns I'll attach just in front of the cockpit, uisng perhaps white glue or even a dab of varnish.
I'm slowly choosing some decals for this bird, and my bag of leftover decals clocked in at 494 grams!!!!
Allan

Cobra

Awesome Job So Far,Allen :thumbsup: :thumbsup: bet that Many Decals can be an RPIA!!!!! Keep up the Great Work!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: Dan

Allan

Thanks fellows and here's the decal decision-making process, just holding interviews with interested decals.
Allan