SE5A 1/48? scale Artiplast Kit--Allan in Canberra

Started by Allan, June 20, 2009, 09:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the tips. As for the wing struts, they are in the shape of a squared-off U, so that means one end fits into a slot in the upper wing and the other end you have to guide two small pins into holes in the lower wing. The slot attachment may require a little manouvering to get it into position as it's a snug fit, which leads me to think that I'd be better off glueing the struts to the slots first and then lowering the upper wing onto the lower one. Is that clear? Superglue grabs really quickly and will make me work fast, so much so that I sorta feel that using ordinary modeler's glue and then letting it dry for about 4-5 minutes might be the go as I can still move it around, but at the same it will be firmly anchored to the attachment point. If the wing attachment turns out to be a good one, maybe I can get away with white glue to attach the fus struts to the upper wing, of course having used modelers glue to firmly attach the fus struts firstly to the fus. It's going to be a challenge for sure.
Allan

Allan

Well, we have attachment of sorts in that while the upper wing is now firmly in position and has some books making sure the wings are level, the fus struts were far too short. I'll have to whip some up from plastic card, sand them into shape and then measure them carefully before painting them. It'll take me a little more time, but it can be done and will present another challenge. But I mustn't be despondent at this turn of events-after all it is only a crappy Artiplast kit built to not very precise specifications.
Here're the photos of today's work.
Allan

Brian da Basher

The upper wing is aligned very nicely Allan! Sorry for taking up your time with tips that work in 1/72 but aren't very useful for a 1/48 project. Still, it's a lot of fun to see your progress. Looks like you'll be ready for final roll-out soon.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Allan

Thanks fellows--I've carefully positioned the upper wing and now it's drying slowly. And I've started on the struts, using what appears to be a (unused) wooden tongue depressor that I had lying around somehow. I'll cut out four pieces that are a little too long and wide and then sand them into shape. Then paint and put on the Tamiya Yellow and attach. Superglue will have to be used, of course, In the meantime I'll attach the undercarriage. Did you notice that one machine gun fell off!? I'll glue it on later.
Allan

Allan

Allan

Fus struts in position with white glue, which really is the way to go as it dries clear.
I think I'll dispense with rigging on this mdoel as I'm anxious to press on with my next project.
Allan